NIMBY

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Not In MY BackYard.

Are you ready for more oil refineries in the US yet? There hasn't been a new one built since the 70s & the others are running at or above 98% 24/7/365 (minus maintenance).

Gonz said:
Not In MY BackYard.

Are you ready for more oil refineries in the US yet? There hasn't been a new one built since the 70s & the others are running at or above 98% 24/7/365 (minus maintenance).

whats the point of this thread :lol2:

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
I like how people will use the stuff and then not want what's necessary to provide it 'in their backyards'.

Heh.

TexasRaceLady

Gonz said:
Not In MY BackYard.

I lived 10 minutes from Houston Ship Channel for 25 years -- practically in my back yard. Didn't bother me a bit.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
So long as the process, start to finish, in every regard, does not reduce acreage of public lands or wreak immortal havoc on the environment, drill till ya puke. Refine the night away.

I do wish we'd unass some of our reserves already on hand though.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Give the southern boy the Yugo. He can't afford no mo' gasoline ;)

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Why did all Yugo's come with heated rear glass?

So your hands didn't get cold when you pushed them... :D

A.B.Normal

Gonz said:
Not In MY BackYard.

Wouldn't they need special ports to accomodate the huge floating tanker ships,so your kinda limited where you are physically able to put them,Idaho just ain't gonna work. :lol2:

unclehobart

The base closures are leaving lots of prime real estate on the coast that can probably be converted into refineries. They already have deep ports and a good separation form the neighbors. They are also fairly near the consumption base.

Professur

Of course, they could just leave production where it is, and mandate a minimum of 50mpg for any and all licensed vehicles under 2 ton. And higher license fees for heavier vehicles. Then you wouldn't need any more production.

HomeLAN

unclehobart said:
The base closures are leaving lots of prime real estate on the coast that can probably be converted into refineries. They already have deep ports and a good separation form the neighbors. They are also fairly near the consumption base.

Yup. They're shutting down NAS Atlanta - in my backyard. Put one there. Easy access to a rail hub.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Professur said:
Of course, they could just leave production where it is, and mandate a minimum of 50mpg for any and all licensed vehicles under 2 ton. And higher license fees for heavier vehicles. Then you wouldn't need any more production.

Judas Priest said:
They'll beat you to submission,
so you might as well surrender

If ya can't build 'em, tax 'em?

Professur

Now Gonz, you know as well as I do that engine sizes have been increasing yearly over the past decade. My Celebrity station wagon had a 2.8l v6. My van has a 3.4lv6. The station wagon carried 8 passengers, the van 7. And I never lacked power in the celebrity. My Dodge Colt had a 1.5L, and carried 5. What are they shoehorning into Civics these days? 2.2l?

There's a lot of room for improvement.

Professur

Your point made a funny whistling sound as it passed overhead.

You said they can't build small engines. I say not only can they, but they already did, and have since gotten bigger and bigger. It's time to smarten up and get back to small.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Professur said:
You said they can't build small engines. I say not only can they, but they already did, and have since gotten bigger and bigger. It's time to smarten up and get back to small.

That's what I keep thinking.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Engine sizes used to be in cubic inches instead of this asinine litre shit.

Ford built 289, 292, 302, 351, and 390 V8s

Chebbie had a 327, 350 and a 396 that I remember blowing off various roads.

Dodge had the 318 and whatever else they built. (SnP warn't never no Moopar man either).

Hence, Gonz's frame of reference. You're welcome.