NIMBY

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
No sir, I commented on your comment to tax those who don't follow protocol & drive sufficiently small vehicles. People & companies may use whatever size engine they see fit, not ones government regulators tax us into.

JJR512

Professur said:
...What are they shoehorning into Civics these days? 2.2l?

There's a lot of room for improvement.
The Honda Civic uses a 1.7L engine. That's a slight increase from the 1.6L they've been using for the last probably 1.5 decades (at least).

Professur

SNP, this might suprise you, but I can convert cubic inches to liters in my head without difficulty, thanks.

Gonz, perhaps if you were to actually read what I posted. Under 2 tons. What form of idiot needs a personal vehicle that weighs more than that? Companies? Companies have always had another price structure for licensing vehicles. Usually by axle. Or by fleet contract.

But I'm referring to the average dumbass joe who thinks he needs a lincoln pickup to drive to the office every morning. I'm referring to the idiot that thinks that a car capable of 150mph belongs in rush hour traffic.

Basically, I want a tax on automotive stupidity.

JJR512

That's another one I remember... Cubic inches to liters is multiply by 0.01639. I can do it in my head, but not quickly.

HomeLAN

Professur said:
SNP, this might suprise you, but I can convert cubic inches to liters in my head without difficulty, thanks.

Gonz, perhaps if you were to actually read what I posted. Under 2 tons. What form of idiot needs a personal vehicle that weighs more than that? Companies? Companies have always had another price structure for licensing vehicles. Usually by axle. Or by fleet contract.

But I'm referring to the average dumbass joe who thinks he needs a lincoln pickup to drive to the office every morning. I'm referring to the idiot that thinks that a car capable of 150mph belongs in rush hour traffic.

Why, thank you.

Professur

On the side, HL, you looked at what when you were car shopping? What was your reasoning behind it? The need for a 150mph car? Or a look and feel?

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Professur said:

And here we differ. I think government already has their hands on too many aspects of my life. Wwwaaayyyyyyy too damn many.

Next on the agenda might be limiting the size of your residence based on family size, geothermic heat region, salary, and life expectancy. You support that one too?

HomeLAN

Professur said:
On the side, HL, you looked at what when you were car shopping? What was your reasoning behind it? The need for a 150mph car? Or a look and feel?

The latter, obviously. Yet, I still seem to be in your target audience, there.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
SouthernN'Proud said:
And here we differ. I think government already has their hands on too many aspects of my life. Wwwaaayyyyyyy too damn many.

Next on the agenda might be limiting the size of your residence based on family size, geothermic heat region, salary, and life expectancy. You support that one too?

Kudos

Professur

Not quite, HL. Not quite. You're more in the outer ring. Sorta hit by the splatter. But if I told you that your car was gonna cost more to license, whould you have still bought it? Yes, you would. But you might have gone for the smaller engine.

SnP, are you gonna say that doesn't already happen? Property taxes are already based on home evaluation, lotsize, etc. Credits are given for home improvement, energy efficiency, etc. Low income families (here) get gov't supplements to pay part of their rent.

The taxes are already slanted. I'm just suggesting that they be used to herd the sheep in the direction they need to go.

Baaaaaaaa

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
An dif some politician decides your house is bigger than you need, you'd just pack up and go. No resistence. Because that's what's best.

Baaaaaaa indeed.

My ancestors bled and died fighting against these very notions. I get prouder of them every day I live.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Professur said:
Low income families (here) get gov't supplements to pay part of their rent.

Baaaaaaaa

Hence, much, if not all, of the problem being witnessed in New Orleans. Those with the entitlement mentality are a huge majority of those saying help us. If they'd been forced to stand on their own they'd be in Memphis by now.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
SouthernN'Proud said:

Prof's tax idea doesn't sound too bad actually. However, if gasoline prices rise a little more and stay there people might understand the need for more efficiency.

I don't blame the guy that wants to have a 300HP engine, but I do think it is stupid from the engineer part to design engines with RAW power rather than with EFFICIENT power.

Instead of using v8 4l to get 300HP they could research and design better in order to have a v6 2.5l give you the very same power and less consumption. [/hypothetic numbers]

Professur

Gonz said:
Hence, much, if not all, of the problem being witnessed in New Orleans. Those with the entitlement mentality are a huge majority of those saying help us. If they'd been forced to stand on their own they'd be in Memphis by now.

That was a quick sidestep. I guess you give on the gas issue?

SNP, look again. That's already the case. It's not a matter of bigger than you need. It's Big, it get's taxed more. What you might want or need isn't at issue. And it's always politicians that get to set it. A house valued at $90,000 one year drops to $60,000 the next because they zoned a drug rehab centre around the corner. Or jumps to 110,000 because they zoned a park. The tax burden goes from .10 per $1000 to .16 per thousand because they decided to change your curb (yes I know, you don't have curbs) to sidewalks. Or they fill in the ditches with storm sewers.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Your prerogative. I disagree. A beaurocrat who steps on my property and starts telling me what to do, how to do it, and that my house is too big or the engine in my truck is out of bounds does so at his/her own peril.

These dorks can't manage the tax revenue they already have. Now I'm supposed to listen to their theories on what engine my truck, that I pay for, with the income left over after they get their cut off the top, can have?

Like hell I will. I know too many junkyards with restorable engines in 'em. Pass all the laws you want, [Hank Jr]A country boy CAN survive![/Hank]

Professur

Luis G said:
Prof's tax idea doesn't sound too bad actually. However, if gasoline prices rise a little more and stay there people might understand the need for more efficiency.

I don't blame the guy that wants to have a 300HP engine, but I do think it is stupid from the engineer part to design engines with RAW power rather than with EFFICIENT power.

Instead of using v8 4l to get 300HP they could research and design better in order to have a v6 2.5l give you the very same power and less consumption. [/hypothetic numbers]

And I don't want, necessarily, to stop him from having it .... if that's what he really wants. I just want to make it a little tougher for the sheep to climb the fence.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Professur said:
That was a quick sidestep. I guess you give on the gas issue?

No, I said all that needs to be said. It's not the governments business to tax me into submission.