No Child Left Behind (in public school).

markjs

Banned
The United states would have a great education system if it would just study sucessful ones like Japan and Germany, and then reconstruct that system, here. The studies have been done, yet the changes were never implemented. I am not sure if it's a funding issue, but I do know many of those changes could be made for little or no money.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
They can hang on to their higher salaries only by working significantly faster or better,

Wow. That's deep. I bet my granddad would get it ;)

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
markjs said:
The United states would have a great education system if it would just study sucessful ones like Japan and Germany, and then reconstruct that system, here. The studies have been done, yet the changes were never implemented. I am not sure if it's a funding issue, but I do know many of those changes could be made for little or no money.

Study & emulate Germany & Japan? Why? Just get liberal government out of the classroom. German & Japanese high school graduates didn't put a man on the moon. Our schools have been overtaken by social awareness programs which levae no time to learn.

markjs

Banned
Study and emulate places like Germany and Japan because their system works better. Study the top rated educational systems and model after them. To do so could be not only greatly benefical but also bipartisan.

IDLEchild

Gonz said:
Study & emulate Germany & Japan? Why? Just get liberal government out of the classroom. German & Japanese high school graduates didn't put a man on the moon. Our schools have been overtaken by social awareness programs which levae no time to learn.

Or because the curriculum is so boring and mundane that the only way to get results is by enforcing strict education standard like said countries and achieving good grades.

Kids seek interesting and worthwhile information...most of which at their age happens to be sexual information or curiosity with violence, not the Louisiana purchase or the social impacts of freedom summer.

School is boring...period. Either you enforce it with a heavy hand or you nurture budding minds on a beaurocratic schedule.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
IDLEchild said:
Kids seek interesting and worthwhile information...most of which at their age happens to be sexual information or curiosity with violence, not the Louisiana purchase or the social impacts of freedom summer.

School is boring...period. Either you enforce it with a heavy hand or you nurture budding minds on a beaurocratic schedule.

The heavy hand method worked until the liberals got involved & made it all touchy feely.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Yep, start giving grades that mean something. Don't allow a kid to pass a grade because it would make him feel bad to fail. Kick the kids off of sports teams if they're not doing well, and don't let the coaches make that decision. And get these social awareness programs out of the schools, they're doing far more damage than the pledge of allegiance ever did.

catocom

Gonz said:
German & Japanese high school graduates didn't put a man on the moon.

Neither have ours, in the past several decades. :(

Edit: Remember that show "space 1999"? I thought for sure we'd have
a space staion there by now. :alienhuh:

HomeLAN

PT said:
Yep, start giving grades that mean something. Don't allow a kid to pass a grade because it would make him feel bad to fail. Kick the kids off of sports teams if they're not doing well, and don't let the coaches make that decision. And get these social awareness programs out of the schools, they're doing far more damage than the pledge of allegiance ever did.

Good ideas. How do you intend to deal with the parents who sue becuase poor Johnny was left behind a year and suffered mental anguish as a result? It isn't the school systems' fault entirely. Most of the root issue is with the parents, and with their willingness to abuse the TORT system to get compensation.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
HomeLAN said:
Good ideas. How do you intend to deal with the parents who sue becuase poor Johnny was left behind a year and suffered mental anguish as a result? It isn't the school systems' fault entirely. Most of the root issue is with the parents, and with their willingness to abuse the TORT system to get compensation.

That's easy...hire a hit-man because these parents are too stupid to be raising a child. :grinyes:

HomeLAN

I'm in favor, but I'm not sure you could get the legislature to pass it.

I'm serious. I grew up with a mother who was a teacher. You can't get anything done because if you enforce anything some asshole parent will sue you.

MrBishop

HomeLAN said:

Remove the TORT system entirely? Frankly...it fucks up more things than it helps.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
HomeLAN said:
I'm in favor, but I'm not sure you could get the legislature to pass it.

I'm serious. I grew up with a mother who was a teacher. You can't get anything done because if you enforce anything some asshole parent will sue you.

Counter-sue for defamation. :shrug: Has to be an individual teacher, though, and not the board.

Of course you realize that this is the reason that every revolution starts with the culling of the lawyer population...

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Which would be a good reason to make school systems immune from such frivolity.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
I still don't know what to think of this one.

My sons, the older two. They were WAY behind in the primary grades. They knew their stuff cold, but couldn't read, couldn't write. At that point, I was advocating for them to be held back, and upset that they weren't.

A few years later...the older one is in grade 6 and reading above his grade level, aces his tests, knows his stuff cold still, but is writing at a grade 3 level, testing shows learning disability. He can't write a paragraph. He does all his testing orally. He does all of his projects orally. It's just him.
The middle one is in grade four, and you can see the reading starting to click with him too, so he right now seems to be heading down the same path.

I don't know now that holding them back would have been such a good thing for them.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I know two people locally who requested their children be held backa year. The school system refused.

HomeLAN

Gonz said:
Which would be a good reason to make school systems immune from such frivolity.

But I'm sure that there are actual abuses that can only be properly corrected (and the proper message sent) through such a case.

After all, that's your argument against what we really need (comprehensive tort reform), right?

MrBishop

Bring back a grading system, including failure-grades.
Bring back summer school
Fail kids that deserve to fail
Reduce summer holidays to 3 weeks only
Increase the school hours so that math, reading & writing skills don't fall by the wayside.
Take music out of the daily curriculum to make way for the core curriculum.
Make being part of a sports team a privilege
Use older student to tutor younger students
Force parents to attend PTA and Parent/Teacher interviews or they lose the right to complain about anything school-related
Make PED days actually involve teachers conferences. Invite parents to see what the hell is going on in school.
Less homework, more schoolwork.