Oil for Food humanitarian aid?

MrBishop

I thought that humanitarian aid meant 'free' aid.

Why is there suddenly a charge for it?

**Based on a speach being made by Bush as I type this**

chcr

Too cute for words
I think the "Oil for Food" program is a continuation of a program already in place. Don't quote me on that though.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Usually, when humanitarian relief is given, they receiving party has little or no goods or services to re-pay. Iraq has oil & we're at war for oil so, hey, it works.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
chcr said:
I think the "Oil for Food" program is a continuation of a program already in place. Don't quote me on that though.

I just saw a headline on Fox that said "Bush pushes to Reinstate Food for Oil program." No article to go along with yet, but you sound about right.

nalani

Personally, and I know this isn't gonna go over real well with a lot of people, but most, not all - but most, of the people the aid is supposed to help were assholes when the aid came, chanting their loyalty to Saddam as they grabbed at all the water and food provided for them ... hell, if they're so phreaking loyal, then maybe they should just sit and wait around for their oh-so-grand leader Saddam to provide aid.

Now, I know there are innocent bystanders out there ... and there are some Iraqi that are not pro Saddam ... but we have a saying here, which not surprisingly enough is a universal theme .... "Mahalo i na mea loa'a" .. or, in other words, be thankful for what you have ... when we were kids, if we grumbled about any meal, we were more than welcome to leave the food and walk away ... so ... if they hate the US and the Allied Forces oh so much, then leave the aid and walk away ... maybe Saddam will come to their rescue .. and maybe I'll be a size 4 in the next two weeks ... :rolleyes:

PT

I saw that myself Na, I don't know how those guys do it. Drive into a crowd of poeple chanting Pro-Saddam Sayings, and then take food off of an American vehicle. Seems the high point of hypocricy to me.

nalani

No kidding ... I'd have lost my temper and bashed the shit out of them :D

Actually, what's pissing me off even more is that US soldiers and Allied Forces are kept there to keep order within the chaos rather than go and get done what they went there to do, finish the job, and come home.

flavio

Banned
PuterTutor said:
I saw that myself Na, I don't know how those guys do it. Drive into a crowd of poeple chanting Pro-Saddam Sayings, and then take food off of an American vehicle. Seems the high point of hypocricy to me.

They take what they can get while we bomb all their stuff. If we weren't there "liberating" them they wouldn't need a lot of this stuff.

PT

You wanna bet? It's been a week. A week. They've had months to prepare for this. We could have driven in there two weeks ago and found just as many people living in poverty and needing help.

nalani

I don't doubt the US has it's fair share of "blame" for lack of a better word ... Lord knows I'm not Pro-american ... but they are not the only ones to blame ... Saddam, they're fearless leader to whom they are loyal to the end, is not by any means blameless or innocent.

The point PT and I are making is that if they hate the US and the Allied Forces so much, and are loyal to such a man, then go ahead and chant all you want ... but don't take the help.

PT

Ok, so let me get this straight. You are concerned about the citizens or you're not?

In its resolution 688 (1991), which is recalled in resolution 1441 (2002), the Security Council demanded that Iraq "immediately end" the "repression of the Iraqi civilian population" and allow access by humanitarian organizations to all those in need of assistance. Since 1993, the UN General Assembly and Commission on Human Rights have repeatedly requested the deployment of human rights monitors throughout Iraq, within a broad set of measures aimed at strengthening the protection of human rights in the country.

Human rights concerns in Iraq

The human rights situation in Iraq remains grave. Amnesty International continues to campaign against systematic and widespread human rights violations including suppression of freedom of expression and association; extrajudicial killings, "disappearances", torture, arbitrary arrests, unfair trials and the use of the death penalty and other cruel, inhuman and degrading punishments. Victims have included officers suspected of plotting against the government and other suspected political opponents; their relatives, as well as relatives of opponents residing abroad; and members of religious and ethnic groups, particularly Kurds and Shi'a Muslims.
Source

So basically, it's ok for their government to kill them, as long as we don't cut off their power temporarily.

flavio

Banned
No, what I'm saying is....

flavio said:
They take what they can get while we bomb all their stuff. If we weren't there "liberating" them they wouldn't need a lot of this stuff.

ris

pt - take their power but please leave their tv on, the endless re-runs of a hilarious moustachioed man are about to start again.

i must admit that the way afghanistan has appeared to have been left does not fill me with confidence for a future iraq at this juncture.