OMG get your survival seeds to prepare for the apocalypse

Professur

Re: OMG get your survival seeds to repare for the apocalypse

though I do recognize that our standard of living would decrease dramatically.

I'd be interested in hearing what you deem 'standard of living' in this tense. If you mean cheap electronics and consumer goods, I say good riddance to it. 4 cell phones per household and dinner out of the freezer isn't living, it's existing. Bring back the day so meat from a butcher, veggies from a farmer's market as opposed to buying food, jeans and TVs all under one roof.

Professur

Sweet... this means more $$$ in the pockets of our farmers!

BTW, India has these problems cyclically. So does China. I've been waiting for the next drought to hit China.

I wouldn't gloat too quickly. Given the amount of US debt China holds, it wouldn't take much for the US's wheat reserves to vanish in a flash of electronic dollars. Not to mention that US farmers are behaving very similarly to those overseas. How many farmers are getting paid very well indeed to burn crops instead of bringing them to market?

valkyrie

I'd be interested in hearing what you deem 'standard of living' in this tense. If you mean cheap electronics and consumer goods, I say good riddance to it. 4 cell phones per household and dinner out of the freezer isn't living, it's existing. Bring back the day so meat from a butcher, veggies from a farmer's market as opposed to buying food, jeans and TVs all under one roof.
You can still get your food (veggies as well as meat) from the farmer's market. We have a rancher that is selling grass fed beef from his ranch in town (I say that b/c I'm just outside of the actual town in the rural parts, no subdivision).

I agree that cheap electronics and consumer goods does not make a good standard of living. But many people are swayed by the lure of new game consoles and fancy flat screen TVs (so they can sit on their asses in front of those TVs and waste their lives), not to mention new cars.

catocom

well, I just stocked back up on some seed that I was low on....

Ford hook - butter beans.
Yellow Queen - corn
Purple hull - crowder peas
and
some onion bulbs

He was out of fertilizer.
He said he went through a whole pallet today in about 2 hours.:eek:

He's supposed to get some tomato plants, and other stuff in next week.

valkyrie

well, I just stocked back up on some seed that I was low on....

Ford hook - butter beans.
Yellow Queen - corn
Purple hull - crowder peas
and
some onion bulbs

He was out of fertilizer.
He said he went through a whole pallet today in about 2 hours.:eek:

He's supposed to get some tomato plants, and other stuff in next week.
The people who ship the tomato plants won't send them to your area until the danger of frost has passed. Your area must still be at risk of a freeze.

I planted some purple hull cow peas to feed my chickens with. I do a couple of experiments each year. This is one of them. They should grow quite well here.

catocom

The people who ship the tomato plants won't send them to your area until the danger of frost has passed. Your area must still be at risk of a freeze.

dead on right.
That's just what the man said.
The weather has been ok, but they were just being safe.