On Religion....(new thought)

AnomalousEntity

chcr said:
Whatever

There's your smug comment.:grinno:

Sorry about the tone. I was busy dancing around about the Panthers staying undefeated by beating the colts.

I still dont see what your point is.

I never said it was "real" like you seemed to indicate I had.

Yes its just a show (of course).

Does everything we find meaning in have to be factual?

Damm I guess they teach literature "just for the hell of it" then. :nerd:

Squiggy

ThunderDick
Well...I, for one, will never make any important life decisions without first asking myself, "What would Kirk do?"... :retard:

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
kirk, he's sleep with the first thing handy, then shoot someone

I ask what would worf do?

so I jump right to the shooting

AnomalousEntity

Intresting.

Id choose someone like Spock, Data, Picard, Cisco or Archer.

Then again "Ensign Meat" would be a good choice also (the nick name star trek fans always give to the Federation officers you have never seen before..and whom you will likely never see again).
:D

AnomalousEntity

Squiggy said:
Well...I, for one, will never make any important life decisions without first asking myself, "What would Kirk do?"... :retard:

Well that is about as dumb as saying you'll never make a decision without asking yourself.

"What would captain Ahab do".

Well if your a Subway fan, I hears the "What would Jarried (sp") Do?" is becoming popular.

:winkkiss:

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
what would the guy inthe red shirt do?

Red shirt: well I'd ghahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa *sound of body hitting floor*

chcr

Too cute for words
AE said:
Damm I guess they teach literature "just for the hell of it" then. :nerd:
It isn't literature, it's television. It has little or no redeeming value. It is entertaining, but I just can't relate to discussing the underlying social commentary of a TV show. If you can, more power to you. Art imitates life, not the reverse. That's the point. The meaning that you find in the show is a reflection of the people involved and the social climate of the sixties. You can gain a better understanding of this by reading history, you watch TV to escape thinking about it. The fact that there are college courses examining the meaning of the show simply tells me that some people aren't bright enough to pass basket weaving 101.

And for the record, I said you took it too seriously, not that you thought it was real. I think anyone who thinks that much about a tv show is taking it to seriously. This is simply my opinion, you are certainly entitled to your own. Like you (and just about everyone else) I think my opiniions are right, and everyone elses are crap. I call that being a normal human being, although some call it meglomania. You already know what I think of their opinion. :)

Congrats on the Panthers by the way. I guess Manning probably had your boxers in a pretty good knot there at the end of regulation. I'm a Jets fan myself (although I root for the Titans too), so I'm a happy camper for a change. :D

a13antichrist

Whether they proclaim themselves great philosophers or not, your heroes Gene & Rick are still retards if a barely-watched geek-show is the best way they can find to share their "enlightenment".

outside looking in

<b>Registered Member</b>
Star Trek obviously contains a large amount of exploring social and economic issues. Of course it's "just a TV show".... so is South Park, and I feel the same about it. The authors use the show as a vehicle to explore a variety of issues. What does it matter if other people pick up on that or not? And what does it matter that they decide to use a television show as their vehicle instead of writing poetry or a serious work of philosophy? It's the way they have chosen to express themselves, and voice their opinions.

To deny that the authors had any intent other than to "just entertain" though is patently ridiculous.

AnomalousEntity

Ok ok.

Chcr.

Good Points, no argument.

I agree its art imitating life. I have read much. But there is somthing about watching it reinacted...where you can see and feel it. It becomes real. Then there is always the philosophical spin. In many cases they try to show you the "other side". They are showing you..."what if that had happened to YOU." Kinda of stuff.

You cant find that in history books.

History books are revisionist history written by the victors.

Do you think they go to great lengths to show you "the other side"?

Does American history focus much on the tradegy of the Native American. Does it say much on the injustice to imported slaves? All the crappy stuff we have done? Nope.

IN fact. On Enterprise, they did an episode in the desert on another planet well the crew befriended a group of very nice, honorable, fun loving people.

People who felt oppressed by the powers that be whom treated badly.

The only tactic they had for their freedom was terrorism.

Of course Captain Archer didnt/couldnt support them...but there was a scene showing how conflicted he was, how much he liked them, and how he regretted the whole friggen situation.

You actually felt how the "other side might be feeling"

And it was a dammed good point.

Another episode had a totally honest "by the book" captain Cisco
confessing his recent sins of lying, cheating, stealing and nearly murder just to keep the Confederation from loosing the war. He was near crying, regretting what he had done, and his ethics out the window.

At the end of the show he was asking himself "was it all worth it?".

In a chilling scene he looks right at the camera and says "Yes it was worth it...and Ill do it again if I have to" (highlighting an kind of "End justifies the means" conviction that sent a chill up my back.)

Good Stuff.

Now If you want to insult that....its your issue. Many folks are against the war, and these two shows do a dammed good job of pointing out the "human aspect" of both sides of the conflicts.

Yea...I could hardly watch the game, I was standing 2 feet from the TV holding my breath!

AnomalousEntity

a13antichrist said:
Whether they proclaim themselves great philosophers or not, your heroes Gene & Rick are still retards if a barely-watched geek-show is the best way they can find to share their "enlightenment".

Ill just chalk that up to you not being a fan.

I know that you are a hell of a lot smarter than you sounded in that particularly "closed minded and judgemental" post.

chcr

Too cute for words
AE, I'm nt trying to be insulting, honestly. If that's what it takes to make you socially aware, at least it's good that something does. I do get that from history books. I have always found it easy to put myself in someone else's place. It's why I enjoy TV, movies and books. that's entertainment, though and to me it is insignificant compared to what's really going on. Always has been, always will be. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy it, I just take it for what I think it is.

a13antichrist

AnomalousEntity said:
I know that you are a hell of a lot smarter than you sounded in that particularly "closed minded and judgemental" post.

You only found it closed-minded because you didn't agree with it. THAT's closed-minded.

The point is entirely valid. What good is writing a thesis that will change the world if you leave it under your pillow and never show it to anyone? Star Trek is not the 18:00 news - I doubt that even 1% of the country regularly watches Star Trek. If your heroes wanted to convey a message, over and above their interest in the show, they should have chosen a format/content with a little broader viewer base.
Otherwise they're just bending to the TV Network's needs to have "topical" issues in their shows to attract viewers.