One Nation Under God

Gotholic

Let me start off by saying that this thread is indeed very long. But because of what I’m trying to convey, I could not shorten it. You should read this when you have the time or start it and finish it later. I believe the information I have compiled together is worth the read.

This thread took some time in the making. I have tried to make sure that all the information presented here is precise and accurate.

There are many quotes out there that our founding fathers supposedly had said. There are quotes that support the Christian and secularist point of view. I found deceit presented on both sides.

I went to various websites and took the quotes I felt were most powerful in my argument. Many of the quotes I took had no sources to back them. I then went to various atheistic and secularist sites to find any arguments that were presented against the quotes I liked. If there were none I kept the quotes but if there were any arguments that were strong I then dropped the quotes. Afterwards, I then searched to see if there were any sources to back them if there were not I simply dropped the quotes. I did the same for other information presented in this thread.

If there is anything that escaped my verification process I apologize. I do not intend to mislead anyone.

This thread is intended for those who refuse to acknowledge that the U.S. was founded as a Christian nation.

Relax and grab yourself a drink as I begin to rock your world…

The following shows that our nation is forgetting God:

• Remove student prayer: "Prayer in its public school system breaches the constitutional wall of separation between Church and State." [Engel v. Vitale, 370 U.S. 421, 425 (1962).]
• It is unconstitutional for students to hear prayers of the Chaplain of the U.S. House or Senate. [State Board of Ed. vs. Board of Ed. of Netcong, 1970]
• Remove benedictions and invocations from school activities: "Religious invocation...in high school commencement exercise conveyed message that district had given its endorsement to prayer and religion, so that school district was properly [prohibited] from including invocation in commencement exercise." [Graham v. Central Community School Distict of Decatur County, 608 F. Supp. 531, 536 (W.D.N.Y. 1985; Kay by Disselbrett v. Douglas School District 719 F. 2d 875 (or. Ct. App. 1986; Jager v. Douglas, 862 F. 2d 824, 825 (11th Cir. 1989).]
If a voluntary, nondenominational prayer is coercive, what would you call the left indoctrination that has become the staple of modern pedagogy, from condom distribution to AIDS education to multiculturalism to Earth worship?
• Prayer before athletic events is unconstitutional. [Jager vs Douglas, 1989]
• Remove school Bible readings: "If portions of the New Testament were read without explanation, they could be, and...had been, psychologically harmful to the child." [School Dist. Of Abington Twp. V. Schempp, 374 U.S. 203, 209 (1963).]
• Remove the Ten Commandments from view: "If the posted copies of the Ten Commandments are to have any effect at all, it will be to induce the schoolchildren to read, meditate upon, perhaps to venerate and obey, the commandments...this...is not a permissible state objective under the Establishment Clause...The mere posting of the copies [of the Ten Commandments]...the [First Amendment] prohibits." [Stone v. Gramm, 449 U.S. 39, 42 (1980).]
• The ACLU has filed suit against Etowah County Circuit Judge Roy S. Moore asking that prayer be banned from his chamber and that he be ordered to remove a copy of the Ten Commandments from the wall above his bench. [Birmingham News/Birmingham Post-Herald, April 1, 1995.]
• In California and Pennsylvania, prosecutors were banned from referring to the Bible in state courtrooms. [Pat Robertson, newsletter, March 1993.]
• It is unconstitutional for a Board of Education to use or refer to the word "God" in any of its official writings. [State of Ohio v. Whisner, 351 N.E. 2d 750 (Ohio Sup. Ct. 1976).]
• In Phoenix Arizona, Sherri Steckel, a tenured Bethune Elementary school teacher, was fired in Jan. 1993 without warning on charges of unprofessional conduct for "religious activities." Behaviors listed by the Phoenix Elementary Board of Education as "unprofessional" included folding her hands in what they called "prayer position" during the in-class moment of silence. She was also accused of daily praying in class because one fifth grade student thought he heard her whisper a prayer once during the moment of silence. Steckel did admit to praying for two students during non-instructional time in the school courtyard, playing instrumental praise music and a patriotic album with songs like "God Bless America" on it while students did seat work, and once using a lesson which centered on the biblical message of honoring father and mother. According to one of her former colleagues, Steckel was "a top reading teacher in the district. They brought in people from all over the district to observe her because she got top reading scores with children." [The Arizona Republic, Feb. 26, 1993, cited in Religious Rights Watch, June 1993.]
• Freedom of speech and press is guaranteed to students unless the topic is religious, at which time such speech becomes unconstitutional. [Stein vs. Oshinski, 1965; Collins v. Chandler Unified School district, 644 F. 2d 759, 760 (9th Cir. 1981).]
• In Virginia, a federal court has ruled that a homosexual newspaper may be distributed on a high school campus, but religious newspapers may not. [Willaim J. Murray, "America Without God," The New American, June 20, 1988, pg. 19.]
• Officials at Wauconda Junior High School banned the evangelical Christian newspaper Issues and Answers from the school, saying that they have a legal obligation to maintain the "separation of church and state." [Chicago Tribune, Oct. 1, 1991.]
• A kindergarten student wanted to read the story of the first Christmas as his class project "Favorite Story Month" assignment. The teacher and the principal promptly told this little kindergarten student that books about God weren't allowed in school.
• At a New York school, a young boy is instructed not to mention or write about "God" in any of his classwork.
• In Georgia, a young girl is told not to write a biography of Jesus.
• A fourth grader in California is warned he can do a book report on anything ... except the Bible and religion.
• First grader Emily Aaker of Bemidji, Minnesota was told by her teacher that she could not play her favorite tape, "Surf and Turtles," because it contained religious songs. As part of the Horace May Elementary School's "Student of the Week" program, selected students were allowed to share their favorite music with classmates.
• A K-5 nursery rhyme was declared to be unconstituional because someone might think it was a prayer even though the word "God" was not contained in it. [Despain vs. Dekalb County Community School District, 1967]
• To make sure that no students got the message that God might play a part in keeping off drugs and out of gangs, Wichita Schools Superintendent Larry Vaughn instructed speakers during Youth Crisis Awareness Week in September 1993 to avoid any mention of religion in their talks. The talks were sponsored by a coalition of Christian groups. The week included evening events at several churches. The gag order by Superintendent Vaughn was intended to keep the speakers from advertising the evening events during their talks at 65 area schools. [Religious Rights Watch, December 1993.]
• If a student prays over his lunch, it is unconstitutional for him to pray aloud. [Reed v. Van Hoven, 237 F. Supp. 48 (W.D. Mich. 1965).]
• An elementary school student in Missouri is disciplined for praying over his lunch.
• Public schools were barred from showing a film about the settlement of Jamestown because the film depicted the erection of a cross at the settlement, despite the historical fact that a cross was erected at the Jamestown settlement. [John Eidsmoe, Christianity and the Constitution (Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Book House, 1987), pg. 406.]
• A Bloomingdale Michigan high school was sued because it has a portrait of Jesus Christ hanging in the hallway. The portrait is a classical and historical picture. It is a portrait of Christ, not wearing a crown of thorns or hanging on a cross, things which might hold a religious significance for people. Eric Pensinger and his mother filed a lawsuit with the help of the ACLU which challenges the picture as a violation of the separation of church and state. A Michigan federal judge agreed with Pensinger, that a portrait of Jesus Christ displayed in a hall for 30 years at Bloomingdale High School violates the First Amendment's ban on state-advancement of religion. Judge Benjamin Gibson ordered it removed. Rutherford Institute attorneys defending the school said, "To disallow a questionable 'religious' picture in the context of a public school is not government neutrality towards religion, but instead is an example of censorship."
• High school art teacher Nancy Greenwood asked her students at Red River High School to design posters expressing their emotions about an issue of concern in their community. Students chose topics such as drugs, AIDS, abortion and the environment. Heidi Marwitz, however, designed a poster that included a cross, an American flag and the question, "Is the Son shining in your school?" Greenwood gave the poster a perfect grade and displayed it in a school hallway with the rest of the class posters. Principal Everett Knudsvig ordered the poster down because it violated school policy. The policy is based on "the separation of church and state," Knudsvig said. "We have to be respectful of all religions and not place one over the other." [Grand Forks Herald, March 11, 1995.]
• In Bel Aire, Kansas, the word "Easter" has been dropped from their annual egg hunt. Ever since President Hayes started the custom of the White House Easter Egg Roll on Easter Monday of 1878, except for the years 1942 to 1953, that tradition has been enjoyed by many thousands of children who couldn't have cared less about any religious significance. Ironically, the word "Easter" although adopted by Christians long ago, is not of Christian derivation. According to the Encyclopedia Britannica, Easter is "a goddess of spring." The World Book Encyclopedia says it "may have come from 'Eastre,' a Teutonic goddess of spring, or from the Teutonic festival of spring called 'Eastur.'"
• In the Alaska public schools, students were told they could not use the word "Christmas" in school because it had the word "Christ" in it, nor could they have the word in their notebooks, nor exchange Christmas cards or presents, nor display anything with the word "Christmas" on it. [Willaim J. Murray, "America Without God," The New American, June 20, 1988, pg. 19.]
• The Postmaster in Appleton, Wisconsin, invited students from area schools to submit artwork for display at the local post office. However, when the students at Appleton Christian School were selected to sumit their artwork, a postal employee advised them "to avoid decorations that are overly religious." They were later told they could not include manger scenes or the word 'Christmas' on their greeting card art. [The Rutherford Institute newsletter, March 1995.]
• The city of Vienna, Virginia put up a secular Christmas scene alongside a nativity scene to avoid trouble. But that wasn't good enough for the ACLU, who filed suit, won, and had the nativity scene removed. Intimidated by the ACLU, city leaders asked the Vienna city chorus to sing only secular songs at the Christmas program. To its credit, the chorus refused. Now the city has dropped the program altogether. [D. James Kennedy, Coral Ridge Ministries newsletter, October 31, 1994]
• In Frederick County, Virginia, Thomas Malcolm, the superintendent of schools ordered teachers to stop using the word "Christmas" because of its religious implications. It its place, teachers were instructed to call it a "winter holiday." Christmas parties are OK for schools to hold, but they must be called "holiday parties." Employees were further instructed to refer to Easter as "spring break" or use other terminology that does not convey religious meaning to students. Malcolm's memo bears a striking resemblance to the way the former Soviet Union required Christmas to be observed in its public schools. Soviet government mandates forbade the use of the word Christmas, requiring "winter holiday" instead. "Father Frost" was the substitute for Jesus or Santa Claus, and the trees decorated at this time of year were called "New Year Trees." [Cal Thomas, "Russia Learned What America Has Scorned," AFA Journal, Feb. 1993.]
• At South Lake schools in Michigan students designed a holiday banner in music class and were told they had to replace "Merry Christmas" with "Merry X-Mas."
• In Colorado, a music teacher was stopped from singing traditional Christmas carols in her classes. ["Parent Silences Teaching of Carols," Washington Times, Dec. 12, 1988.]
• In Ithaca, New York, a school superintendent issued an official policy mandating that all songs mentioning Jesus be banned or censored in music classes and annual Christmas programs.
• In Emporia Kansas, the school board decided to drop a Christmas program that has been a tradition since the 1930s. The board attorney John Atherton said before they voted, "If we go on with the program as is, we can certainly expect to be sued by the ACLU." ["Emporia School Board won't Sponsor Traditional Christmas Pageant," The Wichita Eagle, September 16, 1993, pg. 5D.]

Source

Many would believe that the above events were in favor of what our founding fathers would have wanted. I’m, of course, not one of those people. I’m going to show you many quotes by our founding fathers that support our Christian heritage and various other facts.

Before I get into things I would like to give you a little tour of our nation’s capitol…

A QUICK TOUR OF OUR CAPITOL REMINDS US THAT THIS NATION WAS BUILT UPON THE FOUNDATIONS OF CHRISTIAN BELIEF.

• The Supreme Court building portrays Moses holding the Ten Commandments through which the voice of God thunders "Thou shalt not murder."
• The Capitol Rotunda contains eight massive oil paintings, each depicting a major event in history. Four of these paintings portray Jesus Christ and the Bible: 1) Columbus landing on the shores of the New World, and holding high the cross of Jesus Christ, 2) a group of Dutch pilgrims gathered around a large, opened Bible, 3) a cross being planted in the soil, commemorating the discovery of the Mississippi River by the Explorer De Soto, and 4) the Christian baptism of the Indian convert Pocahontas.
Statuary Hall contains life size statues of famous citizens that have been given by individual states. Medical missionary Marcus Whitman stands big as life, holding a Bible. Another statue is of missionary Junipero Serra, who founded the missions of Los Angeles, San Francisco, Montery and San Diego. Illinois sent a statue of Francis Willard, an associate of the evangelist Dwight L. Moody.
• Inscribed on the walls of the Library of Congress are quotes honoring the study of art, the wall is etched with "Nature is the art of God." A quote honoring Science says, "The heavens declare the glory of God." An inspiration honoring religion is Micah 6:8, "What doth the Lord require of thee but to do justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God."
• On a wall in the Jefferson Memorial we read, "God who gave us life gave us liberty. Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of people that these liberties are a gift from God? That they are not to be violated without His wrath? Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that His justice cannot sleep forever."
• As you climb the steps inside the Washington Monument you will notice stones with inscriptions on them. Some of them are, "Search the Scriptures" – "Train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old he will not depart from it" – "The memory of the just is blessed" – "Holiness to the Lord" – and the top which says "Praise be to God!"
• Inscribed on the north wall of the Lincoln Memorial is the Presidents second inaugural address. Lincoln feared that God would not be satisfied until every drop of blood drawn by the lash is repaid by another drop of blood drawn by the sword.
Are these inscriptions just empty words, nostalgic sayings that no longer describe the ideals of our nation’s government? Consider the message of another inscription, this one at the base of a large statute entitled "Heritage," which is outside the main entrance of the National Archives. It reads: "The heritage of the past is the seed that brings forth the harvest of the future."

No seed flourishes if it is not cultivated.

Source

Here is a little article to warm things up!

Now a look at our founding documents…

American's Founding Documents Reflect Our Religious Heritage.

Mayflower Compact (November 11, 1620) Document signed by 41 male passengers on the Mayflower before landing at Plymouth (Massachusetts Bay Colony) to bind the group into a political body and pledge members to abide by any laws that would be established. "In The Name of God, Amen. We, whose names are underwritten, the Loyal Subjects of our dread Sovereign Lord King James, by the Grace of God, of Great Britain, France, and Ireland, King, Defender of the Faith, &c. Having undertaken for the Glory of God, and Advancement of the Christian Faith, and the Honor of our King and Country, a Voyage to plant the first colony in the northern Parts of Virginia ..."

The Declaration on Taking up Arms (July 6, 1775) The Continental Congress decided that the various state armies should be organized into the Continental Army and that a "Declaration of Arms" should be read to it.
"... But a reverence for our great Creator, principles of humanity, and the dictates of common sense must convince all those who reflect upon the subject, that government was instituted to promote the welfare of mankind, and ought to be administered for the attainment of that end."

"... we most solemnly, before God and the world, declare that, exerting the utmost energy of those powers which our beneficent Creator has graciously bestowed upon us, the arms we have been compelled by our enemies to assume, we will, in defiance of every hazard, with unabating firmness and perseverance, employ for the preservation of our liberties ... "

"With an humble confidence in the mercies of the Supreme and impartial Judge and Ruler of the universe, we most devoutly implore his divine goodness to protect us happily through this great conflict, to dispose our adversaries to reconciliation on reasonable terms, and thereby to relieve the empire from the calamities of civil war."

Declaration of Independence (July 4, 1776) Drafted by Thomas Jefferson between June 11 and June 28, 1776, ... expressed the convictions in the minds and hearts of the American people ... set forth a list of grievances against the King in order to justify before the world the breaking of ties between the colonies and the mother country.
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness. ... We, therefore, the Representatives of the United States of America, in General Congress, Assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions, do, in the Name, and by the authority of the good People of these Colonies, solemnly publish and declare...

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor."

Articles of Confederation (1781-89) Early US constitution that bridged the initial government by the First Continental Congress and the federal government provided under the US Constitution of 1787.
" ... And Whereas it hath pleased the Great Governor of the World to incline the hearts of the legislatures we respectively represent in Congress, to approve of, and to authorize us to ratify the said Articles of Confederation and perpetual Union."

Northwest Ordinance (July 13, 1787) Considered to be one of the most significant achievements of the Congress of the Confederation, the Northwest Ordinance put the world on notice not only that the land north of the Ohio River and east of the Mississippi would be settled but that it would eventually become part of the United States. ... Above all, the Northwest Ordinance accelerated the westward expansion of the United States.
"Religion, morality, and knowledge, being necessary to good government and the happiness of mankind, schools and the means of education shall forever be encouraged ... (Article 3)

VARIOUS FACTS

“Scholars now identify a high level of religious energy in the colonies after 1700. ... Figures on church attendance and church formation support these opinions. Between 1700 and 1740, an estimated 75 to 80 percent of the population attended churches, which were being built at a headlong pace.”

Source

One of the great slogans of the American Revolution was "No King but King Jesus!"

Source

In 1776, 98% of the population was Protestant Christian, 1.8% Catholic Christian, and .2 of 1% Jewish. That means that 99.8% of the people in America in 1776 professed to be Christians.

Source: Benjamin Hart, “The Wall That Protestantism Built: The Religious Reasons for the Separation of Church and State”, Policy Review (Fall 1988), 44 as quoted by D. James Kennedy and Jerry Newcombe in What If Jesus Had never Been Born?, revised edition (Nashville: Thomas Nelson Publishers, 2001) 70.

Of the 55 delegates to the Constitutional Convention, 51 were Orthodox Christians.

Source: M.E. Bradford, A Worthy Company (Marlborough, New Hampshire: Plymouth Rock Foundation, 1982), v-vi as quoted by John Eidsmoe 1987 “The Framers of the Constitution: Christians or Deists?” CWA Newsletter (July):3.

Two historians at the University of Houston did a 10-year study of the ideas that shaped our republic. They started with 15,000 documents from the Colonial era, which were boiled down to 3,154 statements. The three most quoted individuals were French philosopher Montesquieu (8.3%), English jurist William Blackstone (7.9%) and English philosopher John Locke (2.9%). But Biblical citations dwarfed them all. Ninety-four percent of the founding fathers' quotes were based on the Bible -- 34% directly from its pages and 60% from men who had used the Bible to arrive at their conclusions.

Source: Donald S. Lutz, “The Relative Influence of European Writers on Late Eighteenth-Century American Political Thought,” 78 American Political Science Review 189 (1984), 189-197 as quoted by Eidsmoe in “The Framers of the Constitution: Christians or Deists?,” 3, referring to research done by Professors Lutz and Charles S. Hyneman. John Eidsmoe is a constitutional law professor at Faulkner University in Montgomery, Alabama.

WHAT OUTSIDE OBSERVERS SAID ABOUT AMERICA UPON VISITING:

A Frenchman Alexis de Tocqueville traveled through out America in the early 1830’s and wrote about it in 1835. His work was originally called The Republic of the States of America, and It’s Political Institutions, Reviewed and Examined. It is now called Democracy in America He said:

“Upon my arrival in the United States, the religious aspect of the country was the first thing that struck my attention, and the longer I stayed there, the more did I perceive the great political consequences resulting from this state of things, to which I was unaccustomed. In France I had almost always seen the spirit of religion and the spirit of freedom pursuing courses diametrically opposed to each other; but in America I found that they were intimately united, and that they reigned in common over the same country.”

Achille Murat was another French observer. He disliked religion and found the United States religious nature offensive. In his 1833 work, A Moral and Political Sketch of the United States, he wrote:

"It must be admitted that looking at the physiognomy of the United States, its religion is the only feature which disgusts a foreigner.” He added “There is no country in which the people are so religious as in the United States; to the eyes of a foreigner they even appear to be too much so".

He concluded:

“While a death-struggle is waging in Europe it is curious to observe the tranquility which prevails in the United States.”

Here is an interesting article about America’s founding.

The following quotations are from A Defense of the Use of the Bible in Schools (1830) by Benjamin Rush:

"Let the children ... be carefully instructed in the principles and obligations of the Christian religion. This is the most essential part of education.”

"In Scotland and in parts of New England, where the Bible has been long used as a schoolbook, the inhabitants are among the most enlightened in religions and science, the most strict in morals, and the most intelligent in human affairs of any people whose history has come to my knowledge upon the surface of the globe."

"We err, not only in human affairs but in religion likewise, only because we do not "know the Scriptures" and obey their instructions. Immense truths, I believe, are concealed in them. The time, I have no doubt, will come when posterity will view and pity our ignorance of these truths as much as we do the ignorance sometimes manifested by the disciples of our Savior, who knew nothing of the meaning of those plain passages in the Old Testament which were daily fulfilling before their eyes."

"'A new commandment I give unto you, that ye love one another, even as I have loved you.'" By withholding the knowledge of this doctrine from children, we deprive ourselves of the best means of awakening moral sensibility in their minds."

"I cannot but suspect that the present fashionable practice of rejecting the Bible from our schools has originated with Deists. And they discover great ingenuity in this new mode of attacking Christianity. If they proceed in it, they will do more in half a century in extirpating our religion than Bolingbroke or Voltaire could have effected in a thousand years."

QUOTES FROM OUR FOUNDING FATHERS

GEORGE WASHINGTON

Here is a poem by Washington written in a copy book when he was 13 years old:

“Assist me, Muse divine, to sing the morn
On which the Savior of mankind was born”

Source: George Washington, The Writings of George Washington, Jared Sparks, editor (Boston: Ferdinand Andrews, Publisher, 1838), Vol. XII, pp. 519.

Washington’s General Orders during the Revolutionary War:

February 26, 1776
“All Officers, non-commissioned Officers and Soldiers are positively forbid[den from] playing at Cards, and other Games of Chance. At this time of public distress, men may find enough to do in the service of God and their country without abandoning themselves to vice and immorality.”

July 9, 1776
“The Hon. Continental Congress having been pleased to allow a Chaplain to each Regiment, with the pay of Thirty-three Dollars and one third pr month—The Colonels or commanding officers of each regiment are directed to procure Chaplains accordingly; persons of good Characters and exemplary lives—To see that all inferior officers and soldiers pay them a suitable respect and attend carefully upon religious exercises. The blessing and protection of Heaven are at all times necessary but especially so in times of public distress and danger—The General hopes and trusts that every officer and man will endeavor to live and act as becomes a Christian soldier defending the dearest rights and liberties of his country.”

Source for both quotations: The Writings of George Washington, John C. Fitzpatrick, editor (Washington: Government Printing Office, 1931), Vol. 4, p. 347, February 26, 1776 Order; and Writings (1932), Vol. 5, pp. 244-245, July 9, 1776 Order.]

During his inauguration, Washington took the oath as prescribed by the Constitution but added several religious components to that official ceremony. Before taking his oath of office, he summoned a Bible on which to take the oath, added the words “So help me God!” to the end of the oath, then leaned over and kissed the Bible.

Source: 4 WASHINGTON IRVING, LIFE OF GEORGE WASHINGTON 475 (New York: G. P. Putnam & Co., 1857); MRS. C. M KIRKLAND, MEMOIRS OF WASHINGTON 438 (New York: D. Appleton & Company, 1870); CHARLES CARLETON COFFIN, BUILDING THE NATION 26 (New York: Harper & Brothers Publishers, 1882).

While encamped on the banks of a river, Washington was approached by Delaware Indian chiefs who desired that their youth be trained in American schools. In Washington's response, he first told them that "Congress... will look on them as on their own children." That is, we would train their children as if they were our own. He then commended the chiefs for their decision:

“You do well to wish to learn our arts and our ways of life and above all, the religion of Jesus Christ. These will make you a greater and happier people than you are. Congress will do everything they can to assist you in this wise intention.”

Source: George Washington's Speech to Delaware Indian Chiefs on May 12, 1779, in John C. Fitzpatrick, editor, The Writings of George Washington, Vol. XV (Washington: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1932), p. 55.

Check out this article about the first National Thanksgiving in which George Washington was involved in.

“While just government protects all in their religious rights, true religion affords to government its surest support.”

Source: George Washington, The Writings of George Washington, John C. Fitzpatrick, editor (Washington, D.C.: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1932), Vol. XXX, p. 432 n., from his address to the Synod of the Dutch Reformed Church in North America, October 9, 1789.

“Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim the tribute of patriotism who should labor to subvert these great pillars of human happiness, these firmest props of the duties of man and citizens. The mere politician, equally with the pious man, ought to respect and to cherish them. A volume could not trace all their connexions with private and public felicity. Let it simply be asked, where is the security for property, for reputation, for life, if the sense of religious obligation desert the oaths, which are the instruments of investigation in Courts of Justice? And let us with caution indulge the supposition that morality can be maintained without religion. Whatever may be conceded to the influence of refined education on minds of peculiar structure, reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle. It is substantially true, that virtue or morality is a necessary spring of popular government. The rule, indeed, extends with more or less force to every species of free government. Who, that is a sincere friend to it, can look with indifference upon attempts to shake the foundation of the fabric?”

Source: George Washington, Address of George Washington, President of the United States . . . Preparatory to His Declination (Baltimore: George and Henry S. Keatinge), pp. 22-23. In his Farewell Address to the United States in 1796.

Nelly Custis-Lewis, their adopted daughter, who lived with the Washingtons 20 years from childhood to marriage, wrote to Jared Sparks, a Chaplain of Congress:

Woodlawn, 26 February, 1833.

Sir,

I received your favor of the 20th instant last evening, and hasten to give you the information, which you desire.

Truro [Episcopal] Parish is the one in which Mount Vernon, Pohick Church [the church where George Washington served as a vestryman], and Woodlawn [the home of Nelly and Lawrence Lewis] are situated. Fairfax Parish is now Alexandria. Before the Federal District was ceded to Congress, Alexandria was in Fairfax County. General Washington had a pew in Pohick Church, and one in Christ Church at Alexandria. He was very instrumental in establishing Pohick Church, and I believe subscribed [supported and contributed to] largely. His pew was near the pulpit. I have a perfect recollection of being there, before his election to the presidency, with him and my grandmother. It was a beautiful church, and had a large, respectable, and wealthy congregation, who were regular attendants.

He attended the church at Alexandria when the weather and roads permitted a ride of ten miles [a one-way journey of 2-3 hours by horse or carriage]. In New York and Philadelphia he never omitted attendance at church in the morning, unless detained by indisposition [sickness]. The afternoon was spent in his own room at home; the evening with his family, and without company. Sometimes an old and intimate friend called to see us for an hour or two; but visiting and visitors were prohibited for that day [Sunday]. No one in church attended to the services with more reverential respect. My grandmother, who was eminently pious, never deviated from her early habits. She always knelt. The General, as was then the custom, stood during the devotional parts of the service. On communion Sundays, he left the church with me, after the blessing, and returned home, and we sent the carriage back for my grandmother.

It was his custom to retire to his library at nine or ten o'clock where he remained an hour before he went to his chamber. He always rose before the sun and remained in his library until called to breakfast. I never witnessed his private devotions. I never inquired about them. I should have thought it the greatest heresy to doubt his firm belief in Christianity. His life, his writings, prove that he was a Christian. He was not one of those who act or pray, "that they may be seen of men" [Matthew 6:5]. He communed with his God in secret [Matthew 6:6].

My mother [Eleanor Calvert-Lewis] resided two years at Mount Vernon after her marriage [in 1774] with John Parke Custis, the only son of Mrs. Washington. I have heard her say that General Washington always received the sacrament with my grandmother before the revolution. When my aunt, Miss Custis [Martha's daughter] died suddenly at Mount Vernon, before they could realize the event [before they understood she was dead], he [General Washington] knelt by her and prayed most fervently, most affectingly, for her recovery. Of this I was assured by Judge [Bushrod] Washington's mother and other witnesses.

He was a silent, thoughtful man. He spoke little generally; never of himself. I never heard him relate a single act of his life during the war. I have often seen him perfectly abstracted, his lips moving, but no sound was perceptible. I have sometimes made him laugh most heartily from sympathy with my joyous and extravagant spirits. I was, probably, one of the last persons on earth to whom he would have addressed serious conversation, particularly when he knew that I had the most perfect model of female excellence [Martha Washington] ever with me as my monitress, who acted the part of a tender and devoted parent, loving me as only a mother can love, and never extenuating [tolerating] or approving in me what she disapproved of others. She never omitted her private devotions, or her public duties; and she and her husband were so perfectly united and happy that he must have been a Christian. She had no doubts, no fears for him. After forty years of devoted affection and uninterrupted happiness, she resigned him without a murmur into the arms of his Savior and his God, with the assured hope of his eternal felicity [happiness in Heaven]. Is it necessary that any one should certify, "General Washington avowed himself to me a believer in Christianity?" As well may we question his patriotism, his heroic, disinterested devotion to his country. His mottos were, "Deeds, not Words"; and, "For God and my Country."

With sentiments of esteem,

I am, Nelly Custis-Lewis

Source: George Washington, The Writings of George Washington, Jared Sparks, editor (Boston: Ferdinand Andrews, Publisher, 1838), Vol. XII, pp. 399-411.

THOMAS JEFFERSON

From his "Second Inaugural Address" in 1805:

”I shall need, too, the favor of that Being in whose hands we are, who led our fathers, as Israel of old, from their native land and planted them in a country flowing with all the necessaries and comforts of life; who has covered our infancy with His providence and our riper years with His wisdom and power, and to whose goodness I ask you to join in supplications with me that He will so enlighten the minds of your servants, guide their councils, and prosper their measures that whatsoever they do shall result in your good, and shall secure to you the peace, friendship, and approbation of all nations.”

Source

“I concur with the author in considering the moral precepts of Jesus as more pure, correct, and sublime than those of ancient philosophers.”

Source: Thomas Jefferson, The Writings of Thomas Jefferson, Albert Bergh, editor (Washington, D. C.: Thomas Jefferson Memorial Assoc., 1904), Vol. X, pp. 376-377. In a letter to Edward Dowse on April 19, 1803.

“To the corruptions of Christianity I am, indeed opposed; but not to the genuine precepts of Jesus himself. I am a Christian, in the only sense in which he wished any one to be; sincerely attached to his doctrines, in preference to all others; ascribing to himself every _human_ excellence; & believing he never claimed any other”

Source: Bergh, Writings of Jefferson, Vol. X, p.380, letter to Benjamin Rush on April 21, 1803.

“An eloquent preacher of your religious society, Richard Motte, in a discourse of much emotion and pathos, is said to have exclaimed aloud to his congregation, that he did not believe there was a Quaker, Presbyterian, Methodist or Baptist in heaven, having paused to give his hearers time to stare and to wonder. He added, that in heaven, God knew no distinctions, but considered all good men as his children, and as brethren of the same family. I believe, with the Quaker preacher, that he who steadily observes those moral precepts in which all religions concur, will never be questioned at the gates of heaven, as to the dogmas in which they all differ. That on entering there, all these are left behind us, and the Aristides and Catos, the Penns and Tillotsons, Presbyterians and Baptists, will find themselves united in all principles which are in concert with the reason of the supreme mind. Of all the systems of morality, ancient and modern, which have come under my observation, none appear to me so pure as that of Jesus.”

Source: The Writings of Thomas Jefferson, Albert Ellery Bergh, ed. (Washington, D. C.: The Thomas Jefferson Memorial Association, 1904), Vol. XIII, pp.377-78, letter to William Canby on September 18, 1813.

"The Bible is the cornerstone of liberty. A student's perusal of the sacred volume will make him a better citizen, a better father, a better husband."

Source: Walker P. Whitman, A Christian History of the American Republic: A Textbook for Secondary Schools, (Boston: Green Leaf Press, 1939,1948), 91.

“But the greatest of all the reformers of the depraved religion of His own country, was Jesus of Nazareth.”

Source: Bergh, Writings of Jefferson, Vol. XIV, p.220, letter to William Short on October 31, 1819.

“The doctrines of Jesus are simple, and tend all to the happiness of mankind.”

Source: Thomas Jefferson, The Writings of Thomas Jefferson, Albert Bergh, editor (Washington, D. C.: Thomas Jefferson Memorial Assoc., 1904), Vol. XV, p. 383.

"I am a real Christian, that is to say, a disciple of the doctrines of Jesus Christ."

Source: Thomas Jefferson, letter to Charles Thomson, from Monticello, January 9, 1816; from Merrill D. Peterson, ed., Thomas Jefferson: Writings, New York: Library of America, 1994, pp. 1372-1374.

“No nation has ever existed or been governed without religion. Nor can be. The Christian religion is the best religion that has been given to man and I, as Chief Magistrate of this nation, am bound to give it the sanction of my example.”

Source: See the records recently reprinted by James Hutson, Chief of the Manuscript Division of the Library of Congress. Religion and the Founding of the American Republic (Washington, D. C.: Library of Congress, 1998), p.96, quoting from a handwritten history in possession of the Library of Congress, “Washington Parish, Washington City,” by Rev. Ethan Allen.

Note: Jefferson did not believe in the divinity of Jesus Christ but still considered himself to be a Christian.

JOHN ADAMS

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. So great is my veneration of the Bible that the earlier my children begin to read it, the more confident will be my hope that they will prove useful citizens of their country and respectful members of society."

Source: Robert Ferrell, The Adams Family: Four Generations of Patriots, (New York: Publius Press, 1969), 12.

"It is religion and morality alone which can establish the principles upon which freedom can securely stand. The only foundation of a free constitution is pure virtue."

Source: John Adams, The Works of John Adams, Second President of the United States, Charles Francis Adams, editor (Boston: Little, Brown, 1854), Vol. IX, p. 401, to Zabdiel Adams on June 21, 1776.

“We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. . . . Our constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.”

Source: John Adams, The Works of John Adams, Second President of the United States, Charles Francis Adams, editor (Boston: Little, Brown, and Co. 1854), Vol. IX, p. 229, October 11, 1798.

“The moment the idea is admitted into society, that property is not as sacred as the laws of God, and that there is not a force of law and public justice to protect it, anarchy and tyranny commence. If ‘Thou shalt not covet,’ and ‘Thou shalt not steal,’ were not commandments of Heaven, they must be made inviolable precepts in every society, before it can be civilized or made free.”

Source: John Adams, The Works of John Adams, Second President of the United States, Charles Francis Adams, editor (Boston: Charles C. Little and James Brown, 1851), Vol. VI, p. 9.

1798 National Fasting and Prayer Proclamation By John Adams

On April 19, 1817, Adams wrote a letter to Thomas Jefferson in which he recounted a conversation between Joseph Cleverly and Lemuel Bryant; a schoolmaster and a minister he had known. Disgusted by the petty religious bickering displayed by those two, Adams declared: (The italicized portion is often quoted out of context by revisionist historians.)

"Twenty times in the course of my late reading have I been on the point of breaking out, 'This would be the best of all possible worlds, if there were no religion in it!!!' But in this exclamation I would have been as fanatical as Bryant or Cleverly. Without religion this world would be something not fit to be mentioned in polite company, I mean hell."

Source: Excerpt of letter from John Adams to Thomas Jefferson, April 19, 1817 -- John Adams, quoted from Charles Francis Adams, ed., Works of John Adams (1856), vol. X, p. 254; The Adams Jefferson Letters, The Complete Correspondence Between Thomas Jefferson and Abigail and John Adams, Edited by Lester J. Cappon, University of North Carolina Press (1959, 1987) p.509

BENJAMINE FRANKLIN

Franklin certainly believed in the providence of God. In his famous speech to the Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia on June 28, 1787:

“I have lived, Sir, a long time, and the longer I live, the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without his aid? We have been assured, Sir, in the Sacred Writings, that "except the Lord build the House, they labor in vain that build it." I firmly believe this; and I also believe that without His concurring aid we shall succeed in this political building no better, than the Builders of Babel: We shall be divided by our partial local interests; our projects will be confounded, and we ourselves shall become a reproach and bye word down to future ages. And what is worse, mankind may hereafter from this unfortunate instance, despair of establishing governments by human wisdom and leave it to chance, war and conquest. I therefore beg leave to move that henceforth prayers imploring the assistance of Heaven, and its blessings on our deliberations be held in this Assembly every morning before we proceed to business, and that one or more of the clergy of this city be requested to officiate in that service.”

Source: James Madison, The Records of the Federal Convention of 1787, Max Farrand, editor (New Haven: Yale University Press, 1911), Vol. I, pp. 450-452, June 28, 1787. (Congress then opened with prayers each day thereafter and, by doing so, was able to successfully complete its work.)

In Benjamin Franklin's 1749 plan of education for public schools in Pennsylvania, he said:

"History will afford the frequent opportunities of showing the necessity of a public religion, from its usefulness to the public; the advantage of a religious character among private persons; the mischiefs of superstition &c. and the excellency of the Christian religion above all others, ancient or modern."

Source: Benjamin Franklin, Proposals Relating to the Education of Youth in Pennsylvania[/i (Philadelphia, 1749), p. 22.

"If men are so wicked with religion, what would they be if without it?"

Source: Jared Sparks, The Works of Benjamin Franklin, (Boston: Tappan, Whittemore, and Mason, 1840), Vol.X, pp. 281-2.

Franklin was not a Christian (in an orthodox sense); he did not believe in the divinity of Christ. This is easily documented. However, he was well aware of the utility of religion in general and Christianity specifically. In a letter to his daughter, Franklin stated:

“Go constantly to church, whoever preaches. The act of devotion in the Common Prayer Book is your principal business there, and if properly attended to, will do more towards amending the heart than sermons generally can do. For they were composed by men of much greater piety and wisdom, than our common composers of sermons can pretend to be; and therefore I wish you would never miss the prayer days; yet I do not mean you should despise sermons, even of the preachers you dislike, for the discourse is often much better than the man, as sweet and clear waters come through very dirty earth. I am the more particular on this head, as you seemed to express a little before I came away some inclination to leave our church, which I would not have you do.”

Source: Benjamin Franklin, The Works of Benjamin Franklin, Jared Sparks, ed. (Boston: Tappan, Whittmore, and Mason, 1838), Vol. VII, pp. 269-271, letter to his daughter, Sarah, on November 8, 1764.

Speech delivered to the Continental Congress on June 28, 1787, when that body was deadlocked over drafting our Nation's Constitution:

"In the beginning of the contest with Britain, when we were sensible of danger, we had daily prayers in this room for Divine protection. Our prayers, Sir, were heard and they were graciously answered. All of us who were in engaged in the struggle must have observed frequent instances of a superintending Providence in our favor ... And have we now forgotten this powerful Friend? Or do we imagine we no longer need His assistance?”

Source: James Madison, Journal of the Federal Convention, Vol. I, p.259.

Just days before his death, Franklin wrote to the Reverend Ezra Stiles:

“As to Jesus of Nazareth, my opinion of whom you particularly desire, I think his system of morals and his religion, as he left them to us, the best the world ever saw or is like to see; but I apprehend it has received various corrupting changes, and I have, with most of the present dissenters in England, some doubts as to his divinity; though it is a question I do not dogmatize upon, having never studied it, and think it needless to busy myself with it now, when I expect soon an opportunity of knowing the truth with less trouble. I see no harm, however, in its being believed, if that belief has the good consequence, as probably it has, of making his doctrines more respected and more observed; especially as I do not perceive, that the Supreme takes it amiss, by distinguishing the unbelievers in his government of the world with any peculiar marks of his displeasure.”

Source: Benjamin Franklin, The Works of Benjamin Franklin, Jared Sparks, ed. (Boston: Tappan, Whittmore, and Mason, 1838), Vol. X, p. 424.

Note: Franklin considered himself a deist earlier in his life. But as you can see, he moved away from the beliefs of a deist.

VARIOUS FACTS

Church in the U.S. Capitol

The Continental Congress appointed chaplains for itself and the armed forces, imposed Christian morality on the armed forces, and granted public lands to promote Christianity among the Indians. National days of thanksgiving and of "humiliation, fasting, and prayer" were proclaimed by Congress at least twice a year throughout the war.

Source

The first national government of the United States, was convinced that the "public prosperity" of a society depended on the vitality of its religion. Nothing less than a "spirit of universal reformation among all ranks and degrees of our citizens," Congress declared to the American people, would "make us a holy, that so we may be a happy people."

Source

Our unique checks-and-balances system of government would never have been conceived through secularism. For example, the 3 Branches of Government is based on Isaiah 33:22. The separation of powers is based on Jeremiah 17:9. Tax exemption of churches is based on Ezra 7:24. Repeatedly in early congressional records, the Bible was used as the premise for discussions and law making. For example, the Congressional Record of September 25, 1789 sites that a discussion of II Chronicles 6 led to the declaring of the first Thanksgiving holiday.

In his first inaugural address, President Washington's stated, "It would be improper to omit, in this first official act, my fervent supplication to that Almighty Being.... No people can be bound to acknowledge and adore the invisible hand which conducts the affairs of men more than people of the United States.... We ought to be no less persuaded that the propitious smiles of Heaven cannot be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right, which Heaven itself has ordained." It concluded with a church service at Saint Paul's Chapel, led by the chaplains of Congress.

Source

"... prior to 1789 (the year that eleven of the thirteen states ratified the Constitution), many of the states still had constitutional requirements that a man must be a Christian in order to hold public office."

Source

General Order From Lincoln Respecting The Observance Of The Sabbath

VARIOUS QUOTES

From The Correspondence and Public Papers of John Jay, Henry P. Johnston, ed. (New York: G.P. Putnams Sons, 1890), Vol. IV, P. 36:

"Providence has given to our people the choice of their rulers. And it is the duty as well as the privilege and interest, of a Christian nation to select and prefer Christians for their rulers."

"The Promulgation of the great doctrines of religion, the being, and attributes, and providences of one Almighty God; the responsibility to Him for all our actions, founded upon moral accountability; a future state of rewards and punishments; the cultivation of all the personal, social and benevolent virtues --these can never be a matter of indifference in any well-ordered community. It is, indeed,difficult to conceive how any civilized society can well exist without them." - Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story

Source

AN INTERESTING ARTICLE:

In the 1870s a group tried to have specific Christian principles removed from government. The courts cited Jefferson’s letter not to support that removal, but to prove that it was permissible to maintain Christian values, practices and principles in official policy. For the next 15 years during that controversy, the courts used Jefferson’s letter to insure that Christian principles remained a part of government.

Jefferson’s letter was then largely ignored until 1947 when, in the case of Everson v. Board of Education, the U.S. Supreme Court quoted Jefferson’s letter. However, they only quoted his phrase about separation of church and state, not the context. They wrote: “The first amendment has erected a wall between church and state. That wall must be kept high and impregnable.”

This was a new philosophy for the courts. The phrase began to be used repeatedly as an indication of the wishes and intent of the founding fathers. In 1962 the Supreme Court made its first ruling (Engel v. Vitale) which completely separated Christian principles from education when it struck down school prayer. The case was over the use of a voluntary, 22-word nondenominational prayer in school: “Almighty God, we acknowledge our dependence upon Thee, and we beg Thy blessings upon us, our parents, our teachers and our country.”

This prayer only acknowledged God once. It didn’t mention Jesus Christ. The prayer acknowledged God as many times as the Pledge of Allegiance. The Declaration of Independence acknowledges God four times. But somehow this prayer was unconstitutional!

In this 1962 case the court redefined the meaning and application of the word “church.” Before this time the court had defined “church” as being a federally established denomination. Observes David Barton: “Now the word was redefined to mean any religious activity performed in public. Now the first amendment would not simply prohibit establishing a federal denomination, it would prohibit religious activities in public settings.”

School prayer was the first casualty of this new definition. Engel v. Vitale was the first case in Supreme Court history to use zero court precedents! Within 12 months, in two more court cases, they removed Bible classes and religious instruction from public schools. In explaining their reasoning, the court stated: “If portions of the New Testament were read without explanation, they could be and ... had been psychologically harmful to the child ...” (Barton). This was the second time in a year that the court issued a ruling without any legal precedent being cited for its decision.

The courts continued to expand their “separation” doctrine in subsequent years. In 1967 the court even declared a four-line nursery rhyme unconstitutional in a kindergarten class. Why? Because, though the word “God” was not mentioned, if someone were to hear the rhyme he might think it was talking about God. So out it went.

Subsequent court rulings have gone so far as to declare it unconstitutional for a copy of the Ten Commandments to hang in a school hallway and for teachers to have a Bible visible on their desks. We increasingly no longer have freedom of religion, but rather freedom from religion.

Source

Alright, so how after all that religious background, how can we be moving to a Godless nation?

It began in 1947!

The Supreme Court used the phrase a “wall of separation between church and state” from the Jefferson letter.

Jefferson penned that phrase to reassure the Danbury (CT) Baptist Association that because of separation of church and state, the government would never interfere with their public religious expressions. For the next 150 years, federal courts followed Jefferson's intent and attached his separation metaphor to the Free Expression Clause of the First Amendment, thus consistently upholding public religious expressions. However, in 1947, the Supreme Court reversed itself and began applying the phrase to the Establishment Clause instead, thus causing federal courts to remove rather than preserve public religious expressions.

Jefferson’s letter was a reply to a letter received by the Danbury Baptists. You can see both letters here.

Here is an analysis of the two letters.

Are you still not convinced that the Jefferson letter was misinterpreted for secularist motives? Jefferson’s behavior contradicts the faulty interpretation of his letter!

VARIOUS FACTS ABOUT THOMAS JEFFERSON

Jefferson urged local governments to make land available specifically for Christian purposes. Source: Letter of Thomas Jefferson to Bishop Carroll on September 3, 1801 (in the Library of Congress, #19966).

In an 1803 federal Indian treaty, Jefferson willingly agreed to provide $300 to “assist the said Kaskaskia tribe in the erection of a church” and to provide “annually for seven years $100 towards the support of a Catholic priest.” He also signed three separate acts setting aside government lands for the sole use of religious groups and setting aside government lands so that Moravian missionaries might be assisted in “promoting Christianity.” Source: American State Papers, Walter Lowrie and Matthew St. Claire Clarke, editors (Washington, D. C.: Gales and Seaton, 1832), Vol. IV, p. 687; see also Wallace v. Jaffree, 472 U. S. 38, at 103 (1985), Rehnquist, J. (dissenting); see also, The Public Statutes at Large of the United States of America, Richard Peters, editor (Boston: Charles C. Little and James Brown, 1846), Vol. VII, p. 79, Article III, “A Treaty Between the United States and the Kaskaskia Tribe of Indians,” December 23, 1803; Vol. VII, p. 88, Article IV, “Treaty with the Wyandots, etc.,” 1805; Vol. VII, p. 102, Article II, “Treaty with the Cherokees,” 1806.

When Washington D. C. became the national capital in 1800, Congress voted that the Capitol building would also serve as a church building. Source: Debates and Proceedings of the Congress of the United States (Washington: Gales and Seaton, 1853), Sixth Congress, p. 797, December 4, 1800.

President Jefferson chose to attend church each Sunday at the Capitol. Source: See the records recently reprinted by James Hutson, Chief of the Manuscript Division of the Library of Congress. Religion and the Founding of the American Republic (Washington, D. C.: Library of Congress, 1998), p. 84.

Jefferson even provided the service with paid government musicians to assist in its worship. Source: Id. at 89.

Jefferson also began similar Christian services in his own Executive Branch, both at the Treasury Building and at the War Office. Source: Id. at 89; see also John Quincy Adams, Memoirs of John Quincy Adams, Charles Francis Adams, editor (Philadelphia: J. B. Lippincott & Co., 1874), Vol. I, p. 265, October 23, 1803.

Jefferson praised the use of a local courthouse as a meeting place for Christian services. Source: Thomas Jefferson, The Writings of Thomas Jefferson, Albert Bergh, editor (Washington, D. C: Thomas Jefferson Memorial Association, 1904), Vol. XV, p. 404, to Dr. Thomas Cooper on November 2, 1822.

Jefferson assured a Christian religious school that it would receive “the patronage of the government”. Source: Letter of Thomas Jefferson to the Nuns of the Order of St. Ursula at New Orleans on May 15, 1804, original in possession of the New Orleans Parish.

Jefferson proposed that the Great Seal of the United States depict a story from the Bible and include the word “God” in its motto. Source: Thomas Jefferson, The Papers of Thomas Jefferson, Julian P. Boyd, editor (Princeton: Princeton University Press, 1950), Vol. I, pp. 494-497, from “Report on a Seal for the United States, with Related Papers,” August 20, 1776; See also this article.

As you can see, the current interpretation of the Jefferson letter is wrong.

Now I would like to get into more into the opposition. The secularists have three main arguments against the idea that the U.S. was founded upon Christianity.

1. Our founding fathers were mostly deists
2. The Jefferson letter
3. The Treaty of Tripoli

I have already touched upon the first argument. But for more of an in-depth approach I would like you to read this article.

The Jefferson letter has already been dealt with.

Now for the Treaty of Tripoli…

Treaty of Tripoli

by David Barton

The 1797 Treaty of Tripoli, specifically article XI, is commonly misused in editorial columns, articles, as well as in other areas of the media, both Christian and secular. We have received numerous questions from people who have been misled by the claims that are being made, namely, that America was not founded as a Christian nation. Advocates of this idea use the Treaty of Tripoli as the foundation of their entire argument, and we believe you deserve to know the truth regarding this often misused document.

The following is an excerpt from David’s book Original Intent:

To determine whether the "Founding Fathers" were generally atheists, agnostics, and deists, one must first define those terms. An "atheist" is one who professes to believe that there is no God;1 an "agnostic" is one who professes that nothing can be known beyond what is visible and tangible;2 and a "deist" is one who believes in an impersonal God who is no longer involved with mankind. (In other words, a "deist" embraces the "clockmaker theory" 3 that there was a God who made the universe and wound it up like a clock; however, it now runs of its own volition; the clockmaker is gone and therefore does not respond to man.)

Today the terms "atheist," "agnostic," and "deist" have been used together so often that their meanings have almost become synonymous. In fact, many dictionaries list these words as synonym.4

Those who advance the notion that this was the belief system of the Founders often publish information attempting to prove that the Founders were irreligious.5 One of the quotes they set forth is the following:

The government of the United States is in no sense founded on the Christian religion.GEORGE WASHINGTON

The 1797 Treaty of Tripoli is the source of Washington’s supposed statement. Is this statement accurate? Did this prominent Founder truly repudiate religion? An answer will be found by an examination of its source.

That treaty, one of several with Tripoli, was negotiated during the "Barbary Powers Conflict," which began shortly after the Revolutionary War and continued through the Presidencies of Washington, Adams, Jefferson, and Madison.6 The Muslim Barbary Powers (Tunis, Morocco, Algiers, Tripoli, and Turkey) were warring against what they claimed to be the "Christian" nations (England, France, Spain, Denmark, and the United States). In 1801, Tripoli even declared war against the United States,7 thus constituting America’s first official war as an established independent nation.

Throughout this long conflict, the five Barbary Powers regularly attacked undefended American merchant ships. Not only were their cargoes easy prey but the Barbary Powers were also capturing and enslaving "Christian" seamen8 in retaliation for what had been done to them by the "Christians" of previous centuries (e.g., the Crusades and Ferdinand and Isabella’s expulsion of Muslims from Granada9).

In an attempt to secure a release of captured seamen and a guarantee of unmolested shipping in the Mediterranean, President Washington dispatched envoys to negotiate treaties with the Barbary nations.10(Concurrently, he encouraged the construction of American naval warships11 to defend the shipping and confront the Barbary "pirates"—a plan not seriously pursued until President John Adams created a separate Department of the Navy in 1798.) The American envoys negotiated numerous treaties of "Peace and Amity" 12 with the Muslim Barbary nations to ensure "protection" of American commercial ships sailing in the Mediterranean.13 However, the terms of the treaty frequently were unfavorable to America, either requiring her to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars of "tribute" (i.e., official extortion) to each country to receive a "guarantee" of safety or to offer other "considerations" (e.g., providing a warship as a "gift" to Tripoli,14 a "gift" frigate to Algiers,15 paying $525,000 to ransom captured American seamen from Algiers,16 etc.).

The 1797 treaty with Tripoli was one of the many treaties in which each country officially recognized the religion of the other in an attempt to prevent further escalation of a "Holy War" between Christians and Muslims.17 Consequently, Article XI of that treaty stated:

As the government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian religion as it has in itself no character of enmity [hatred] against the laws, religion or tranquility of Musselmen [Muslims] and as the said States [America] have never entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.18

This article may be read in two manners. It may, as its critics do, be concluded after the clause "Christian religion"; or it may be read in its entirety and concluded when the punctuation so indicates. But even if shortened and cut abruptly ("the government of the United States is not in any sense founded on the Christian religion"), this is not an untrue statement since it is referring to the federal government.

Recall that while the Founders themselves openly described America as a Christian nation (demonstrated in chapter 2 of Original Intent), they did include a constitutional prohibition against a federal establishment; religion was a matter left solely to the individual States. Therefore, if the article is read as a declaration that the federal government of the United States was not in any sense founded on the Christian religion, such a statement is not a repudiation of the fact that America was considered a Christian nation.

Reading the clause of the treaty in its entirety also fails to weaken this fact. Article XI simply distinguished America from those historical strains of European Christianity which held an inherent hatred of Muslims; it simply assured the Muslims that the United States was not a Christian nation like those of previous centuries (with whose practices the Muslims were very familiar) and thus would not undertake a religious holy war against them.

This latter reading is, in fact, supported by the attitude prevalent among numerous American leaders. The Christianity practiced in America was described by John Jay as "wise and virtuous," 19 by John Quincy Adams as "civilized," 20 and by John Adams as "rational." 21 A clear distinction was drawn between American Christianity and that of Europe in earlier centuries. As Noah Webster explained:

The ecclesiastical establishments of Europe which serve to support tyrannical governments are not the Christian religion but abuses and corruptions of it.22

Daniel Webster similarly explained that American Christianity was:

Christianity to which the sword and the fagot [burning stake or hot branding iron] are unknown—general tolerant Christianity is the law of the land!23

Those who attribute the Treaty of Tripoli quote to George Washington make two mistakes. The first is that no statement in it can be attributed to Washington (the treaty did not arrive in America until months after he left office); Washington never saw the treaty; it was not his work; no statement in it can be ascribed to him. The second mistake is to divorce a single clause of the treaty from the remainder which provides its context.

It would also be absurd to suggest that President Adams (under whom the treaty was ratified in 1797) would have endorsed or assented to any provision which repudiated Christianity. In fact, while discussing the Barbary conflict with Jefferson, Adams declared:

The policy of Christendom has made cowards of all their sailors before the standard of Mahomet. It would be heroical and glorious in us to restore courage to ours. 24

Furthermore, it was Adams who declared:

The general principles on which the fathers achieved independence were. . . . the general principles of Christianity. . . . I will avow that I then believed, and now believe, that those general principles of Christianity are as eternal and immutable as the existence and attributes of God; and that those principles of liberty are as unalterable as human nature. 25

Adams’ own words confirm that he rejected any notion that America was less than a Christian nation.

Additionally, the writings of General William Eaton, a major figure in the Barbary Powers conflict, provide even more irrefutable testimony of how the conflict was viewed at that time. Eaton was first appointed by President John Adams as "Consul to Tunis," and President Thomas Jefferson later advanced him to the position of "U. S. Naval Agent to the Barbary States," authorizing him to lead a military expedition against Tripoli. Eaton’s official correspondence during his service confirms that the conflict was a Muslim war against a Christian America.

For example, when writing to Secretary of State Timothy Pickering, Eaton apprised him of why the Muslims would be such dedicated foes:

Taught by revelation that war with the Christians will guarantee the salvation of their souls, and finding so great secular advantages in the observance of this religious duty [the secular advantage of keeping captured cargoes], their [the Muslims’] inducements to desperate fighting are very powerful.26

Eaton later complained that after Jefferson had approved his plan for military action, he sent him the obsolete warship "Hero." Eaton reported the impression of America made upon the Tunis Muslims when they saw the old warship and its few cannons:

[T]he weak, the crazy situation of the vessel and equipage [armaments] tended to confirm an opinion long since conceived and never fairly controverted among the Tunisians, that the Americans are a feeble sect of Christians.27

In a later letter to Pickering, Eaton reported how pleased one Barbary ruler had been when he received the extortion compensations from America which had been promised him in one of the treaties:

He said, "To speak truly and candidly . . . . we must acknowledge to you that we have never received articles of the kind of so excellent a quality from any Christian nation." 28

When John Marshall became the new Secretary of State, Eaton informed him:

It is a maxim of the Barbary States, that "The Christians who would be on good terms with them must fight well or pay well." 29

And when General Eaton finally commenced his military action against Tripoli, his personal journal noted:

April 8th. We find it almost impossible to inspire these wild bigots with confidence in us or to persuade them that, being Christians, we can be otherwise than enemies to Musselmen. We have a difficult undertaking!30

May 23rd. Hassien Bey, the commander in chief of the enemy’s forces, has offered by private insinuation for my head six thousand dollars and double the sum for me a prisoner; and $30 per head for Christians. Why don’t he come and take it?31

Shortly after the military excursion against Tripoli was successfully terminated, its account was written and published. Even the title of the book bears witness to the nature of the conflict:

The Life of the Late Gen. William Eaton . . . commander of the Christian and Other Forces . . . which Led to the Treaty of Peace Between The United States and The Regency of Tripoli32
The numerous documents surrounding the Barbary Powers Conflict confirm that historically it was always viewed as a conflict between Christian America and Muslim nations. Those documents completely disprove the notion that any founding President, especially Washington, ever declared that America was not a Christian nation or people. (Chapter 16 of Original Intent will provide numerous additional current examples of historical revisionism.)

Source

Here is a couple of more interesting articles…

The Founders on Public Religious Expression

God: Missing in Action from American History

Reagon's Speech on Religion

In closing I would to leave you with the following information and this quote:

In this important ruling, the Supreme Court clearly defined the meaning of the First Amendment and the doctrine of "Separation of Church and State." The purpose of the First Amendment is merely to prohibit the establishment of an official national church, similar to England's Anglican Church. The Founding Fathers were not trying to prohibit the federal government from supporting religious institutions, promoting a reverence for God, or even favoring Christianity over other religious faiths. According to the Supreme Court's ruling:

"The First Amendment, however, does not say that in every respect there shall be a separation of Church and State. Rather, it studiously defines the manner, the specific ways, in which there shall be no concert or union or dependency one on the other.

That is the common sense of the matter. Otherwise the state and religion would be aliens to each other—hostile, suspicious, and even unfriendly.

Municipalities would not be permitted to render police or fire protection to religious groups. Policemen who helped parishioners into places of worship would violate the Constitution. Prayers in our legislative halls; the appeals to the Almighty in the messages of the Chief Executive; the proclamation making Thanksgiving Day a holiday; "so help me God" in our courtroom oaths—these and all other references to the Almighty that run through our laws, or public rituals, our ceremonies, would be flouting the First Amendment. A fastidious atheist or agnostic could even object to the supplication with which the Court opens each session: God save the United States and this Honorable Court.

We are a religious people whose institutions presuppose a Supreme Being. . . . When the State encourages religious instruction or cooperates with religious authorities by adjusting the schedule of public events to sectarian needs, it follows the best of our traditions. For it then respects the religious nature of our people and accommodates the public service to their spiritual needs. To hold that it may not would be to find in the Constitution a requirement that the government show a callous indifference to religious groups. That would be preferring those who believe in no religion over those who do believe.”

Source: Zorach v. Clauson, 343 U. S. 306, 312-314 (1952).

BTW: God is acknowledged in all 50 state constitutions.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Well hell. Why not do everything as it was 200, 300 years ago. Of course opinions of that day are pertinent today. Women can go back to having no property rights, and no votes, and woweeeee we can send the children down the mines!!!

flavio

Banned
Leslie said:
Well hell. Why not do everything as it was 200, 300 years ago. Of course opinions of that day are pertinent today. Women can go back to having no property rights, and no votes, and woweeeee we can send the children down the mines!!!
Heheh. That says enough, now I don't need to wade through all the stuff above.

Gotholic

Leslie said:

This thread is just to prove that America was founded on Christianity and that the First Amendment was misinterpreted for secularist motives.

Nothing more and nothing less.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
What does the nation forgetting god bit of the thread have to do with that exactly?

Gotholic

Leslie said:
What does the nation forgetting god bit of the thread have to do with that exactly?

Doesn't the article speak for itself?

It is to show that...

Today, however, history is presented in such an edited, revised, and politically-correct manner that God's hand is rarely visible - and even the historic role of famous Godly leaders in education, business, politics, and the military is now virtually unacknowledged.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Gotholic said:
Doesn't the article speak for itself?

It is to show that...
Those incidents don't show how history is presented. Those incidents show what is happening "now".

Were you seriously taught in school that your founding fathers were not religious? :confuse3: I wasn't, and my children certainly are not being so taught.

In the midst of your thread about your founding fathers and misrepresentation, it seems you've tried to throw in a "we're not religious now, but we really should be cause the founding fathers thought so". I disagree with that sentiment.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Leslie said:
Were you seriously taught in school that your founding fathers were not religious? :confuse3: I wasn't, and my children certainly are not being so taught.

They are now not being taught the background of our founders, religious or not.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Ok, now that one is wrong.

Getting with the times is one thing, but trying to change history is something else altogether.

MrBishop

I stopped right around here: "In 1776, 98% of the population was Protestant Christian, 1.8% Catholic Christian, and .2 of 1% Jewish. That means that 99.8% of the people in America in 1776 professed to be Christians."

99.8% of what population? The 13 british colonies or the United States that they joined in 1788?

If you're polling the original 13 colonies...your odds would be that 98.8% was Christian to some point...those members of the colonies that you asked, anyway.

MrBishop

American history started with the migration of people from Asia across the Bering land bridge approximately 12,000 years ago following large animals that they preyed upon into the Americas. These 'Native Americans' left evidence of their presence in petroglyphs, burial mounds, and other artifacts. It is estimated that 2-9 million people lived in the territory now occupied by the U.S. before European contact, and the subsequent introduction of foreign diseases such as small pox that greatly diminished the native populations. Some advanced societies were the Anasazi of the southwest, who built Chaco Canyon, and the Woodland Indians, who built Cahokia, located near present-day St Louis, a city with a population of 40,000 at its peak in 1200 AD.

During the 1500s and 1600s, the Spanish settled parts of the present-day Southwest and Florida, founding St. Augustine, Florida in 1565 and Santa Fe (in what is now New Mexico) in 1607. The first successful English settlement was at Jamestown, Virginia, also in 1607. Within the next two decades, several Dutch settlements, including New Amsterdam (the predecessor to New York City), were established in what are now the states of New York and New Jersey. In 1637, Sweden established a colony at Fort Christina (in what is now Delaware), but lost the settlement to the Dutch in 1655.

This was followed by extensive British settlement of the east coast. The British colonists remained relatively undisturbed by their home country until after the French and Indian War, when France ceded Canada and the Great Lakes region to Britain. Britain then imposed taxes on the 13 colonies, widely regarded by the colonists as unfair because they were denied representation in the British Parliament. Tensions between Britain and the colonists increased, and the thirteen colonies eventually rebelled against British rule.

First President of the United States under the Constitution, George Washington (1789-1797).

In 1776, the 13 colonies split from Great Britain and formed the United States, the world's first constitutional and democratic federal republic, after their Declaration of Independence of that year, and the Revolutionary War (1775 to 1783). The original political structure was a confederation in 1777, ratified in 1781 as the Articles of Confederation. After long debate, this was supplanted by the Constitution in 1789, forming a more centralized federal government. Prior to all these was the Albany Congress in 1754, in which a union was first seriously proposed.

From early colonial times, there was a shortage of labor, which encouraged unfree labor, particularly indentured servitude and slavery. In the mid-19th century, a major division occurred in the United States over the issue of states' rights and the expansion of slavery. The northern states had become opposed to slavery, while the southern states saw it as necessary for the continued success of southern agriculture and wanted it expanded to the territories. Several federal laws were passed in an attempt to settle the dispute, including the Missouri Compromise and the Compromise of 1850. The dispute reached a crisis in 1861, when seven southern states seceded1 from the Union and formed the Confederate States of America, leading to the Civil War. Soon after the war began, four more southern states seceded. During the war, Abraham Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation, mandating the freedom of all slaves in states in rebellion, though full emancipation did not take place until after the end of the war in 1865, the dissolution of the Confederacy, and the Thirteenth Amendment took effect. The Civil War effectively ended the question of a state's right to secede, and is widely accepted as a major turning point after which the federal government became more powerful than state governments.

During the 19th century, many new states were added to the original 13 as the nation expanded across the continent. Manifest Destiny was a philosophy that encouraged westward expansion in the United States. As the population of the Eastern states grew and as a steady increase of immigrants entered the country, settlers moved steadily westward across North America. In the process, the US displaced most American Indian nations. This displacement of American Indians continues to be a matter of contention in the U.S. with many tribes attempting to assert their original claims to various lands. In some areas American Indian populations were reduced by foreign diseases contracted through contact with European settlers, and US settlers acquired those emptied lands. In other instances American Indians were removed from their traditional lands by force. Though some would say the US was not a colonial power until the Spanish-American War when it acquired Puerto Rico, Guam and the Philippines, the dominion exercised over land in North America the United States claimed is essentially colonial. The Philippines became independent in 1946.
Chew on this for a while.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
MrBishop said:
I stopped right around here: "In 1776, 98% of the population was Protestant Christian, 1.8% Catholic Christian, and .2 of 1% Jewish. That means that 99.8% of the people in America in 1776 professed to be Christians."

99.8% of what population? The 13 british colonies or the United States that they joined in 1788?

If you're polling the original 13 colonies...your odds would be that 98.8% was Christian to some point...those members of the colonies that you asked, anyway.

I believe it meant what it said, since not going to church on Sunday meant you'd better be going to a Temple on Friday, or you wound up pilloried for a few days.

The only exceptions to the count would be slaves...who were believed to have no souls at that time.

MrBishop

Gato_Solo said:
I believe it meant what it said, since not going to church on Sunday meant you'd better be going to a Temple on Friday, or you wound up pilloried for a few days.

The only exceptions to the count would be slaves...who were believed to have no souls at that time.
...and Native Americans who were totemic pagans. :)

Gato_Solo

MrBishop said:
...and Native Americans who were totemic pagans. :)

And also weren't counted as part of the Republic, and were actively pushed off of their lands by broken treaties and higher technology. You have to take these things in context, Bish.

MrBishop

Gato_Solo said:
You have to take these things in context, Bish.
Exactly... the context is skewed to try to prove a point. For that portion..that 99.8% of the population of America was Catholic...and perhaps that it's been lessed through immigration or some such nonsence.

I wonder if they polled women? Probably not, eh :)

Gato_Solo

MrBishop said:
Exactly... the context is skewed to try to prove a point. For that portion..that 99.8% of the population of America was Catholic...and perhaps that it's been lessed through immigration or some such nonsence.

I wonder if they polled women? Probably not, eh :)

White women, Native women, or Black women? Like I said...context. ;)