Opinions of females in a "male business"

Kittie

Since I suck at grammar, and people love to point it out, I will simply make this post a question.

Say you walk into a store such as Radio Shack, and there are three people curently working. Now say one is female, and the other two male. Would you automatically assume that the female is incapable of helping you, based on gender alone?

Professur

Kittie said:
Maybe I'm crazy... maybe I shouldn't care, but people need to learn that females are educated too.

Example, I work at a Radio Shack. At least once a day.. at LEAST, I have someone tell me that they would rather speak to a male assosiate (I.E. Everyone else that works there... I'm the only female) because they think that a male would no more.

Didn't this was of thinking die a long time ago?

Padon me while I go retract my vote for president, and get back into the kitchen.

Normally, I try to leave this alone, but you're trying to make a case for being educated and hardly manage a line without a mistake in it.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Most of the women I've met know shit about electronics. Most can not even tell when an mp3 sounds crappy.

Edit: however if I go into a store and a woman tries to help me, I'd take her advice until I find that she knows nothing about the things I'm talking. And the same principle applies if it is a guy.

PS. Most of the time I end up reading manuals looking for specs.

HomeLAN

I wasn't gonna point it out, buuuut.....bad post for grammatical errors. :p

Anyway, these are the same folks who believe, in their heart of hearts, that (fill in your favorite minority here) people are genetically inferior. They exist everywhere, so you'd better find a way to deal with them.

I personally try hard not to assume anyone's an idiot before I talk to them. They usually prove for a fact that they are after about 5 minutes of conversation, but I want to let them do the work.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
HomeLAN said:
I personally try hard not to assume anyone's an idiot before I talk to them. They usually prove for a fact that they are after about 5 minutes of conversation, but I want to let them do the work.

Or, you can assume everybody is an idiot...that way you're never disappointed. :D

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Gato_Solo said:
Or, you can assume everybody is an idiot...that way you're never disappointed. :D

Yes.

Electronics, in particular, are a male dominated field. I will not suppose a female in that field knows less, since she was hired. Too bad the odds are great that all 3 know little more than what has the best profit/commission/spiff.

Winky

Kittie said:
Say you walk into a store such as Radio Shack, and there are three people currently working. Now say one is female, and the other two male. Would you automatically assume that the female is incapable of helping you, based on gender alone?

Is she smokin' hot? Since I already know what I want when I go to a supposedly male type store (Lowes, Home Depot, Fry's Electronics, Auto Parts stores.)
I would only be seeking information about where the hell the product I wanted was located. And will want to talk to the hottie everytime!

How about this? Your hand is in a cast and a 'girl' stops to help while you are beside the road with a flat. Would you be surprised if she changed it for you?

You are having severe chest pains, numbness in your left arm, profuse sweating. The paramedics arrive and the senior person is a female. Are you going to tell her "I want the trainee to administer medical procedures to me"?

I could go on and on.

So I will... (aren't you happy?)

Who would expect a female to know more about the following subjects?
Flying an airplane.
Firing a gun.
Repairing a car.
Disciplining a child.
Lawn care.
Building an addition on too your house.
Reloading the operating system on your PC.
Troubleshooting ghosting on the higher frequency channels
on your CATV outputs.
Repairing a roof leak.
Purchasing a real estate investment property.
Performing a root canal.
Teaching your Kid to play tennis.

Hey a totally hot chick will get your attention, but unless she has a superior level of skill then you'll pass her by for the guy. If she isn't pleasing to the eye, then you'll run and scream and cry!

Professur

Kittie said:
Since I suck at grammar, and people love to point it out, I will simply make this post a question.

Say you walk into a store such as Radio Shack, and there are three people curently working. Now say one is female, and the other two male. Would you automatically assume that the female is incapable of helping you, based on gender alone?

No. I'm quite sure she knows as well as anyone where stuff is placed about the store. And that's probably as much as anyone working there knows. Actually, last christmas, I went into several Shit Shacks looking for a guitar tuner for my nephew. Every one of them, it was a young lady who told me they didn't have any.

Personally, I'll want the oldest one there helping me, should I need help. Just like I'll usually want the oldest mechanic working on my car. Sex of a clerk doesn't mean anything to me. Experience does.

ResearchMonkey

RadioShack; I really wish they would just leave me alone, I know what I want.

If I have a question, I'll ask whom ever is closest and not busy.

PostCode

Major contributor!
I'm like every other married who happens to be shopping with his wife. If she is the least bit attractive, ask the guy. If she is really attractive, turn around and walk out of the store before your wife asks you if she is pretty so you can contemplate the fact that no matter what you say to her, you are wrong.

tonksy

man, it woks both ways, when i walk in a store i look for the cute guy to help me. what can i say? i enjoy it.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
freako104 said:
unless you try the

she is hot so are you. you should try a three way with her ;)
You really like getting divorced, won't you.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
PostCode said:
I'm like every other married who happens to be shopping with his wife. If she is the least bit attractive, ask the guy. If she is really attractive, turn around and walk out of the store before your wife asks you if she is pretty so you can contemplate the fact that no matter what you say to her, you are wrong.

When she asks if she's attractive, just answer yes, so what?, she'll probably start a fight the first time, but I promise it will be the last when you honestly tell her she's a beautiful woman, and so are many others, do you trust me so little that you feel threatened by them?.

Works wonders for me.

abooja

Luis G said:
When she asks if she's attractive, just answer yes, so what?, she'll probably start a fight the first time, but I promise it will be the last when you honestly tell her she's a beautiful woman, and so are many others, do you trust me so little that you feel threatened by them?.

Works wonders for me.
Sorry, Luis, but I can't imagine this line of questioning is going to get you anywhere with most women. But good luck with that working again! :smoke2;