Osama Bin Laden dead

spike

W00T!

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/05/01/live-video-of-president-obamas-address/

b1xpf.gif

catocom

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/05/01/usama-bin-laden-dead-say-sources/

Usama bin Laden has been buried at sea, a U.S. official told Fox News.

After bin Laden was killed in a raid by U.S. forces in Pakistan, the official said the body would be handled according to Islamic practice and tradition.

That practice calls for the body to be buried within 24 hours, the official said. Finding a country willing to accept the remains of the world's most wanted terrorist would have been difficult, the official said. So the U.S. decided to bury him at sea.
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/05/02/usama-bin-laden-buried-sea/

Get ready for another round of conspiracy theories.

2minkey

bootlicker
obama faked it to distract from trump's recent inquiries into his academic performance.

have you seen the OBL dead picture? they shot the fucker in the face. maybe cheney came along with the seal team.

2minkey

bootlicker
we will see plenty of conspiracy theories from the the great unwashed, who are still upset that their president isn't a redneck dipshit like themselves.

catocom

wooo...cookoo...
I guess you think men didn't walk on the moon either huh?

See I can paint people crazy too, and am going to start reverse-using the tactic.

2minkey

bootlicker
yes and you are doing so quite effectively. thank you for so eloquently articulating my foundational irrationality.

2minkey

bootlicker
yep. and it was badass.

notice the rhetoric "captured, and killed." i.e. identified and executed. looks like obama let the military do it their way.

:bong:

spike

I'm so glad that Obama decided to stick with the Bush-Cheney plan

He actually completely reversed their plan.

"I don't know where bin Laden is. I have no idea and really don't care. It's not that important. It's not our priority." - G.W. Bush, 3/13/02

vs.

"And if we have Osama bin Laden in our sights and the Pakistani government is unable or unwilling to take them out, then I think that we have to act and we will take them out. We will kill bin Laden; we will crush Al Qaeda. That has to be our biggest national security priority." - Obama 2008

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Guantanamo...open for business & giving us info
Waterboarding...that you KSM for the insight
Not evacuating the ME...our boys arround every corner
Invading a foreign nation without approval from the UN...that's my favorite

spike

Oh I thought you were talking about plans regarding bin Laden since that's what we were talking about.

You were just trying to change the subject.

spike

Rumsfeld confirms: Waterboarding did not net intelligence that led to bin Laden

The torture crowd has been hard at work the past 24 hours, doing its best to push the idea that it was the torture of Khalid Sheikh Mohommed that led to the courier who eventually led U.S. intelligence to Osama bin Laden. The Associated Press has been keen to push this story here, with a short piece asserting that KLM and his successor, Abu Faraj al-Libi, gave up the nickname of the courier at CIA black sites in Poland and Romania, where they were tortured. They later published a second, longer piece doubling down on the theory.

And of course, Keep America Safe, the Liz Cheney/Bill Kristol propaganda tool, released a statement ignoring Obama and crediting “the men and women of America’s intelligence services who, through their interrogation of high-value detainees, developed the information that apparently led us to bin Laden.” As Jane Mayer says, "Funny. You would think that if the C.I.A.’s interrogation of high-value detainees was all it took, the U.S. government would have succeeded in locating bin Laden before 2006, which is when the C.I.A.’s custody of so-called “high-value detainees” ended."

She's absolutely right, which has been the point of the debunking by Marcy Wheeler of this story. And her debunking—particularly her main contention that KSM didn't give up the courier—is confirmed by a New York Times report today.

Prisoners in American custody told stories of a trusted courier. When the Americans ran the man’s pseudonym past two top-level detainees—the chief planner of the Sept. 11 attacks, Khalid Shaikh Mohammed; and Al Qaeda’s operational chief, Abu Faraj al-Libi—the men claimed never to have heard his name. That raised suspicions among interrogators that the two detainees were lying and that the courier probably was an important figure.
KSM was waterboarded 183 times and didn't give up the courier's name, the key bit of intelligence that located bin Laden (unless, as Armando jokes, those denials extracted from KSM and al-Libi were the key to figuring out this was the key guy).

Of course, if you want a real debunking, there's not a better source than one of the torture architects and apologists, one of the guys sitting in the room when the Bush administration principles choreographed torture, deciding which methods to use and how to combine various methods for maximum effect. One of the handful of those ghouls was Donald Rumsfeld, who says "harsh treatment" at CIA black sites didn't lead to bin Laden.

Dick Cheney said today that “it wouldn’t be surprising” the intel came from Bush’s torture program. However, there is currently no evidence to suggest that the detainees that provided the information that led to bin Laden were subject to torture. And Bush Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, who presumably has some knowledge about what went on at Gitmo, today threw some cold water on this theory:

"The United States Department of Defense did not do waterboarding for interrogation purposes to anyone. It is true that some information that came from normal interrogation approaches at Guantanamo did lead to information that was beneficial in this instance. But it was not harsh treatment and it was not waterboarding."

Interesting that Rumsfeld seems to want to make absolutely clear that his Defense Department didn't waterboard anyone (perhaps he's haunted at night by the spectre of Abu Ghraib happening on his watch). But his statement should be the definitive one: torture didn't net bin Laden.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/...utm_campaign=Feed:+dailykos/index+(Daily+Kos)