Out on the ice today.

K62

I twas a beautiful day out, warm enough while skating for just a t-shirt.
I went out with my brother to throw the puck around a bit.

DSC00178Medium.jpg

DSC00182Medium.jpg

DSC00177Medium.jpg

DSC00173Medium.jpg

DSC00171Medium.jpg

Moi = black shirt.

Professur

I took Bish skiing across ice looking worse than that. Those are only frost heave, nothing to worry about.

unclehobart

Frost heave? That some kind of overnight ice compaction from expansion thingy causing a tectonic shift in the ice strata?

MrBishop

Frost heave? That some kind of overnight ice compaction from expansion thingy causing a tectonic shift in the ice strata?

Nope..it's when you're chugging so fast, you almost swallow the ice cube, and cough so hard you bark a rainbow.

Hard stuff to ski on, lemme tell ya. :eek3:

Professur

Actually, where iced lakes are concerned, it's a misnomer. They're caused mostly by flexing between floating ice and ice sitting on the bottom. And they're not so much cracks, as stress lines. Since any crack will instantly fill and refreeze, there's no crack, but the refractive index is different along the flaw, so it's visible.

unclehobart

Ok. I was thinking in 2 dimensions (side to side) and not in the third (upheaval).

They ever make a mini Zamboni so one can smooth out a lake surface like that? ... or it a matter of just tossing out a few dozen strategic buckets of water to smooth it off?

Professur

After you scrape off the top layer of twigs and dead leaves. Since it's mostly floating, you don't really want to go running a 20 ton resurfacer over it.

K62

?? That ice was safe! I have never seen ice with out the cracks in it, even 3-4' thick ice. The last few weeks were cold, one fairly warm will only make a difference in the surface, it's just a bit wet.

I've been skating on lakes since I would walk, and I've only fell in a once. (I got too close to moving water exiting the pond, it was only knee deep) :D

unclehobart

Well do remember that you're talking to a lad that has never resided in a place where water can actually get cold enough to freeze more than once every 15 years. My ice 'streetwise' is rather lackluster to nonexistant.

simplyred

That looks so awesome K62! I too live where it is too warm for water to freeze. Unless you count the water that froze in my birdbath. But I could hardly get up on that and play hockey!