Out on the ice today.

K62

I love when the ponds and lakes freeze so I can skate and ice fish, but the ice isn't always fun.

Few years ago we had an ice storm where EVERYTHING froze, all the trees bent over because they couldn't support the weight of the ice up top.. many broke.

It's also no fun when I can't get my car started in a hill, even with my brand new $500 Blizzak winter tires. :hmm:

I guess the ice storm was in 1998 after asking wikipedia. Wow, where did the past 8 years go?

Professur

I love when the ponds and lakes freeze so I can skate and ice fish, but the ice isn't always fun.

Few years ago we had an ice storm where EVERYTHING froze, all the trees bent over because they couldn't support the weight of the ice up top.. many broke.

It's also no fun when I can't get my car started in a hill, even with my brand new $500 Blizzak winter tires. :hmm:

I guess the ice storm was in 1998 after asking wikipedia. Wow, where did the past 8 years go?

Blizzaks are old news. Should have gone with the Toyo Observe. Blizzaks get their traction from microbubbles in the rubber. Toyos get it from crushed walnut shells mixed into the compound.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
?? That ice was safe! I have never seen ice with out the cracks in it, even 3-4' thick ice. The last few weeks were cold, one fairly warm will only make a difference in the surface, it's just a bit wet.

I've been skating on lakes since I would walk, and I've only fell in a once. (I got too close to moving water exiting the pond, it was only knee deep) :D

I've never fallen through ice while skating but once while snowmobiling I missed the edge of the road which went over a creek (the snow was all piled up so it was the same level on the road and over the creek bank)...I ended up in the creek and the snowmobile ended up on top of my foot...I ripped my brand new skidoo boots that day :(

A.B.Normal

DSC00177Medium.jpg

I hope you gave that turtle back its shell when you were done. *handonhip

K62

Actually, he was happy inside his shell when I found him. We lost our puck, so just borrowed him for a min. The damn thing didn't even last one slap shot, he just flew right out and the shell didn't even move.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Actually, he was happy inside his shell when I found him. We lost our puck, so just borrowed him for a min. The damn thing didn't even last one slap shot, he just flew right out and the shell didn't even move.

OK, THAT isn't cool.

K62

:nerd: :nerd: :nerd: :nerd: :nerd:

My friend found a 20-30 pound snapping turtle on the road before. He would have made a good sled!

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Killing a turtle for food...OK

Killing a turtle for a hockey puck...NOT COOL

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
You just said the turtle was happy in his shell when you found him.

K62

I told a tall tale. I did have to chip the shell out of the ice with my hockey stick :D