Pasta sauce

Sharky

BeardofPants said:
*nods* That stuff is pretty good for pre-made stuff. They make a dried pasta as well?

La pasta di Barilla è inoltre il la cosa migliore!

barilla_pasta_perfect.jpg

Inkara1

I've always been interested in Barilla's Lasagna sauce... but it's expensive and I don't want to acquire a taste for something that costs a fortune... same reason I've never test-driven a BMW. I use the cheapest canned spaghetti sauce for lasagna.

They make these real neat no-boil lasagna noodles, though. You lay them out in the pan with the sauce, meat, cheese, etc. As it bakes in the oven for an hour, the noodles absorb liquid from the sauce and re-hydrate.

tonksy

Inkara1 said:
I've always been interested in Barilla's Lasagna sauce... but it's expensive and I don't want to acquire a taste for something that costs a fortune... same reason I've never test-driven a BMW. I use the cheapest canned spaghetti sauce for lasagna.

They make these real neat no-boil lasagna noodles, though. You lay them out in the pan with the sauce, meat, cheese, etc. As it bakes in the oven for an hour, the noodles absorb liquid from the sauce and re-hydrate.
they got coupons for barilla in the sunday paper all the time...and i usually buy mine at kroger where they do the whole double and triple coupon thing so it isn't so bad...course i use my foodstamps as well so who am i to talk, eh?

Inkara1

I still prefer to stock up on 26 1/2 ounce cans of Del Monte or Hunt's spaghetti sauce for 78¢ when I can.

tonksy

Inkara1 said:
I still prefer to stock up on 26 1/2 ounce cans of Del Monte or Hunt's spaghetti sauce for 78¢ when I can.
yeah, they are fine for a base of a sauce but the barilla takes much less doctoring up...wonder what the difference is when you add in the cost of everything you add to the hunt's VS. what you add to the barilla....not like it matters for me...i can guarantee the hunt's has some minute little iota of corn....

Inkara1

tonksy said:
yeah, they are fine for a base of a sauce but the barilla takes much less doctoring up...wonder what the difference is when you add in the cost of everything you add to the hunt's VS. what you add to the barilla....not like it matters for me...i can guarantee the hunt's has some minute little iota of corn....

Luckily, I can eat corn and soy all day with no ill effects.

My lasagna (well, my mom's recipe, I got it from her) consists of a box of noodles, two cans of that sauce (three if you use the no-boil noodles), a pound of hamburger, a normal-sized block of cheddar cheese, and love. That's it. Back in the day, she could make a lasagna for under $5, and it was quite tasty.

I can also twist things up by buying Four Cheese sauce instead of traditional. :D

BeardofPants

HomeLAN said:
Yup, I used to as well. The bud's an improvement.

Can you use any beer, cos I don't know if I can get bud in NZ? If cooking with beer, I usually use duvel ("devil"). I use it in risottos and stuff. Dunno how well it'd go with tomatos.

HomeLAN

I'd use a pale ale or lager, no dark stuff. Around here, Bud's the best for this type of stuff, but it's worth a try with other brands.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Come, now, folks. It's not rocket science.

1. Brown 3/4 pounds of lean (88%) ground beef. Drain fat into sauce-pan, and place beef on low on a back burner.

2. Finely chop 4 or 5 cloves of garlic, and one medium onion. Heat beef fat and add chopped garlic and chopped onion. Simmer until onions are clear. Caution. DO NOT BURN.

3. Add 2 cans of tomato paste to the onion and garlic mixture, and 4 cans of water (from the tomato paste can). Simmer for 5 minutes and add 1 tbsp of oregano (I like oregano). Stir, and simmer for 5 more minutes. Add some sliced mushrooms, one can diced tomatoes, one diced bell pepper, and salt and pepper to taste. Then simmer for, at most, 5 more minutes. If the sauce seems to be getting too thick, add more water. Just don't add too much. I like my sauce a bit thick.

4. Add ground beef, and simmer for 5 minutes, and you're done.

;)

Sharky

Gato_Solo said:
Come, now, folks. It's not rocket science.

1. Brown 3/4 pounds of lean (88%) ground beef. Drain fat into sauce-pan, and place beef on low on a back burner.

2. Finely chop 4 or 5 cloves of garlic, and one medium onion. Heat beef fat and add chopped garlic and chopped onion. Simmer until onions are clear. Caution. DO NOT BURN.

3. Add 2 cans of tomato paste to the onion and garlic mixture, and 4 cans of water (from the tomato paste can). Simmer for 5 minutes and add 1 tbsp of oregano (I like oregano). Stir, and simmer for 5 more minutes. Add some sliced mushrooms, one can diced tomatoes, one diced bell pepper, and salt and pepper to taste. Then simmer for, at most, 5 more minutes. If the sauce seems to be getting too thick, add more water. Just don't add too much. I like my sauce a bit thick.

4. Add ground beef, and simmer for 5 minutes, and you're done.

;)

That sounds good, but I wonder if adding a tablespoon of extra-virgin oilive oil and some basil would be an improvement. :cool:

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Sharky said:
That sounds good, but I wonder if adding a tablespoon of extra-virgin oilive oil and some basil would be an improvement. :cool:

Whatever floats your boat, Sharky. I tend to use the beef fat because it's already there. :shrug:

DJB

HAHA,
you guys actually assume I have FOOD in my cupboards..
I was lucky to find crushed tomatos tomato paste and seasonings.

What is this "beer" and "ground beef" you speak of?

Poor, fresh out of college students know nothing of these things.

I think I remember beer... but I thought it went extinct after my last student loan cheque ran out.
:p

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
DJB said:
HAHA,
you guys actually assume I have FOOD in my cupboards..
I was lucky to find crushed tomatos tomato paste and seasonings.

What is this "beer" and "ground beef" you speak of?

Poor, fresh out of college students know nothing of these things.

I think I remember beer... but I thought it went extinct after my last student loan cheque ran out.
:p

ohh sauce on a budget

ok, get a pen, ready?

butter

garlic

melt butter, add garlic, put on cooked pasta

ta da!

(or olive oil and vinager)

Inkara1

Most students can't afford butter or garlic. They might be able to grab some Imperial margarine when it's on sale, 3 packages (4 sticks per package) for $1.