Pay using checks, put self-checkout machines out of business

PowerballWinner

Ever been to Wal-Mart or K-Mart or Home Depot? Ever seen those self-checkout lanes where customers just slide their merchandise over a scanner and the machine's computer automatically calculates how much the item costs? Those machines take jobs away from workers. Don't use them. Go to a human clerk. Pay using a check if possible. Spread the word about this.

Rose

Screw that. Wal-Mart has plenty of cashiers that using the self-checkouts aren't going to hurt any jobs. They will always need cashiers.

Personally, I love the self-check outs and use them when I can. They are great for a quick exit when you only have a few items to buy.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
PowerballWinner said:
Ever been to Wal-Mart or K-Mart or Home Depot? Ever seen those self-checkout lanes where customers just slide their merchandise over a scanner and the machine's computer automatically calculates how much the item costs? Those machines take jobs away from workers. Don't use them. Go to a human clerk. Pay using a check if possible. Spread the word about this.

Oh shit. Maybe that's why I can't find a job as a Horse & Carriage Whip Technician.

Sharky

I wonder how many new jobs were created for people to design, manufacture, deliver, sell, deliver again, install and service those scanners? One could safely assume that all of those people make more money than a Walmart cashier. :cool:

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Jobs come & jobs go. If the populace can't adapt the whole will lose. How many jobs will be lost when the scanner is replaced in 10 years? Economic cycles need to be vibrant. Stagnancy is death.

chcr

Too cute for words
You know, if we went back to gas lights you could put some people to work as lamplighters...

BlurOfSerenity

i like the self checkouts. i work at bj's and we have them. when i buy stuff there i usually only buy one or two items. it's much more convienient to just go to the self checkout where there are people who also only have a couple items, than to go in the regular lanes where people are buying year's supplies of everything (it is a wholesale club, after all).
... especially if you're late getting back from your break, lol.

pc_builder

We don't have those here... yet. Our Walmart is run the old fashioned way: 19 checkout lanes and one cashier. :D

HomeLAN

pc_builder said:
We don't have those here... yet. Our Walmart is run the old fashioned way: 19 checkout lanes and one cashier. :D

Which is why I like self checkout. While the average idiot has trouble operating one, I have yet to have more than one person in front of me to use it (and that was at Home Depot on a Saturday - the store across fron their HQ, always slammed).

tommyj27

Not really Banned
by that same token, you should also boycott online purchases and the Internet in general, this information superhighway is putting librarians and smartypantes worldwide out of a job

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
After careful consideration I've reconsidered my stance. I seriously want a job in a Debtors Prison. (good leads on cheap property)

Inkara1

The Home Depot I work at has self check-out, and they just hired seven or eight new cashiers who started this past week... and three or four the week before that. Having their drawer come up short five days in a row is a bigger danger to cashiers' jobs than self check-out.

Professur

We've finally got one. A grocery near me finally put them in. As stated above, I can run my own stuff through at least twice as fast as the young lady with the nose ring can, without having to wait for her to finish her conversation with the cashier three lanes down. Not to mention that hardly anyone with more than half a dozen items uses it.

Inkara1

They come in handy at Home Depot when I'm just buying a can of paint, a light fixture, a circuit breaker, etc. Next time I buy an entire kitchen, I'll still use the cashier.

Uki Chick

I've gone to the self-checkout machines. Usually don't have to wait and it's easy to do and you're out of there in a jiffy!

TexasRaceLady

We finally got some self-checkout lanes at the Wally-World here in deep East Texas. Never thought I'd see the day when that happened.

They are the greatest when I have just a few things and want to get out in a hurry.

And, the new Brookshires grocery store even has some. Faint dead away!

The 21st century has come to Palestine, TX.!!!!!

rrfield

I hate the Wal-Mart in my town (4 miles from my house)(note: I don't hate Wal-Mart the concept or the corporation, I hate this specific Wal-Mart). They installed the self-scan lanes, and sure enough every time I get in line to use the thing I get stuck behind the yokal who cannot figure out you have to scan the BAR CODE and not the PRICE TAG.

Inkara1

Winky said:
and a forklift perhaps?
When I was at the Home Depot in Clovis, they had me work the building materials department for a few weeks, without a forklift license. They said they didn't want to give me one because they didn't want too many people to have them... which was a bummer at those times when there was no one in lumber, meaning I had to cover that department too, and there was only one person in the whole store who could drive the forklift and he was busy, and I had a customer waiting to buy a pallet of concrete.