PC Poll

rrfield

We buy Gateway desktops and work, I don't see anything wrong with them. Support is good, ordering spare parts is easy.

Professur

My customers split evenly between HP/Compaq and IBM. Personally, I find the IBMs are better for repairing. Compaq usually has 4 different suppliers for a part with the same part number. IBM usually only has two at most. It helps them keep their driver packs much smaller.

Compaq Armada laptops were my fave for repairing. Exactly 1 type of screw. And easy as pie to crack open. IBMs are a chrome plated bitch, and usually have 10 different screws, including the dreaded P00. $50 damn bucks for the screwdriver kit just for those damn thinkpads.

catocom

OK
all who build your own, (like me:D)
Who do you think for Laptops?
I was recommending Dell, but have switched to Gateway.

Inkara1

I build my own too. I was never able to afford an entire system at once, but I could upgrade a part at a time. I haven't done any major upgrades besides the printer since the end of 2001 though.

Sharky

blue-apple-logo.jpg

chcr

Too cute for words
catocom said:
OK
all who build your own, (like me:D)
Who do you think for Laptops?
I was recommending Dell, but have switched to Gateway.

Sony Vaio is pretty good too.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
When is there going to be a decent $199.99 laptop. That is my question because until that happens I'm on the desktop.

pc_builder

BawlxXxTung said:
OK, best PC Manufacturer, bar none.

<--- Isn't it obvious?

Build-your-own's are the only way for me.

Laptops... I've only ever used one, and that's the IBM thinkpad I have right now. My main beef with thinkpads though is the trackpoint stick. My brother loves that thing, but I prefer a touchpad.

BTW, the trackpoint stick on my stinkpad is broken now, so I have to use an external mouse.

However, I WOULD like to make my next laptop purchase one of those Alienware's.

pc_builder

Gonz said:
When is there going to be a decent $199.99 laptop. That is my question because until that happens I'm on the desktop.

$3000 for an Alienware Area 51m

High, but I really do want a laptop that's capable of playing games decently. At least most games.

rrfield

like with desktops, we use Gateway laptops. I don't like them as well as the Gateway desktops, but they are fairly trouble-free. All laptops have their quirks, so compared to the rest Gateways are pretty good.

Kruz

Last pre-built computer I bought was a Dell Pentium 133MHz, 16mb ram, 2mb video card, 850mb hard drive, 17" monitor... for $3,090 (plus $90 shipping) !! :lol2:

Then I found "Hardware Central" and have been building my own ever since.......... :swing:

samcurry

Screwing with the code...
Staff member
i have both a sony and IBM. i would never buy another sony again. I keep trying to pawn it off on some shmuk salesman in our office to get another IBM.

chcr

Too cute for words
samcurry said:
i have both a sony and IBM. i would never buy another sony again. I keep trying to pawn it off on some shmuk salesman in our office to get another IBM.

Really? My wife has one of those half-size Vaios and it's been pretty good. My son has one of the 15 inchers he bought in Japan, and he seems pretty satisfied too. What problems have you had Sam?

Professur

I used to swear by Toshiba for laptops. Haven't dealt with their newer models, tho, so I can't speak for them.

greenfreak

I purchased and repaired mostly Dell desktops and laptops for work. We had Compaq, Gateway, HP Vectra and DEC desktops and Toshiba, IBM laptops. I liked the Dells the best out of all of them but their new laptops are pretty crappy. I posted about them here somewhere, the problems I had with them with heat and burn-in on the monitors. And they're much flimsier than they used to be, although prettier. If I were to buy a laptop today, I would probably go IBM.

chcr, my boyfriend bought a Sony Vaio a couple of years ago and I really don't like it. Besides the fact that it has no ps/2 ports on it, no parallel port, no floppy, a flimsy piece on the back that locks open when you open up the cover that's already broken twice, I had a bitch of a time replacing the keyboard when it broke. Sony has no support on their site for the general public (I've never seen better pc support than Dell's site) and were less than gracious when we called to order the new keyboard. I only figured out how to get the damn thing out by a fluke. I was hanging my head in frustration, staring at the keyboard when I spotted two tiny slivers of metal between the front of the keyboard and the case. When searching online for repair information on this thing, so many people said they same thing, that the Vaios are a bitch to repair yourself.

tommyj27

Not really Banned
i usually roll my own systems, but right now i'm in the market for a laptop, thinking about a refurbished dell. ibm makes an ok machine. they're dependable and usually have lots of goodies, but they're also really expensive for what you get, IMO, not worth it unless you're looking to roll out a lot of them. i won't touch compaq (and hence HP) with a ten foot pole, they're nearly as bad as emachines. toshiba has a good rep, but my only experience has been with two friends' laptops that had various problems.