Question from a total illiterate

Shadowfax

<b>mod cow</b>
Anon, check the wires inside the case. If it isn't heat, or RAM, it might be a loose contact on the ON-button....I had that once, and found out after 3 formats :D

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
maybe someone could tell him how to check the temp...as I simply follow direct instruction, I'm not a good one for that :lol:

HomeLAN

My best guess - flaky spikes from the power supply. Anon, have you got (or cn you borrow) another power supply? I'd swap em', run it for a week or two, and see what happened.

unclehobart

Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
Click the Advanced tab.
Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings to open the Startup and Recovery dialog box.
Clear the Automatically restart check box, and click OK the necessary number of times.
Restart your computer for the settings to take effect.

It wont do an auto restart after you do this. It will pause at the Blue Sceen of Death so you can scribble down the error code. See if its the same error each time.

HomeLAN

Rob, it sounds to me like he's not getting any blue screens. It just reboots. No errors, no warnings. If so, that suggests hardware. Specifically, RAM or power supply are the most likely culprits.

Since it sometimes does it when he's just checking mail, it sounds like it's not related to accessing higher amounts of RAM. It's possible the stick in the first slot is buggy, however. I still suspect PS.

unclehobart

How about finding the error log book and seeing if there is a pattern? I think these crashes are registered somewhere and assigned at least a time and a date if not the error codes outright.

I've done a bit of reading on the MS support sites overnight. There is a pattern of glitches between certain CD burners and the OS. The CD burner doesn't even have to be accessed for it to happen... yay. I would suggest a quick peek for an upgrade of the burner software from the manufacturer.

outside looking in

<b>Registered Member</b>
From my experience, spontaneous reboots with no BSOD don't leave error codes anywhere. It's analogous to simply unplugging the computer.

Also, from experience these types of spontaneous reboots are almost always related to CPU or RAM, but in various ways.

(1) Bad stick of memory or bad RAM slot on motherboard: least likely IMO because RAM errors often generate a BSOD, not a spontaneous reboot, but it can happen.

(2) Heat. This would be my first guess. Remove the CPU heatsink, scrape off any thermal compound on the heatsink and clean it with alcohol, reapply thermal compound and reseat the heatsink. If you don't have thermal compound laying around, you can get some from RadioShack that works well enough.

(3) Overclocked/overstressed CPU or system. A CPU or FSB pushed too far will cause spontaneous reboots like described above. However, this usually happens during stressful applications, not randomly or while checking mail. Sometimes an overclocked CPU can generate enough heat to reboot randomly, and this is fixed as described in possibility (2). However, from the general computer experience of Anon_me it's pretty safe to assume that this system is running stock. In that case, if the CPU is unstable it is being caused by poor cooling (see (2)) or by low voltage. Which leads us to...

(4) Inadequate powersupply. A PSU that can't maintain voltage, or has poor filtering, can cause spontaneous reboots, as it effectively makes the CPU mimmick under stock conditions one which has been overclocked (i.e., the voltage is too low for the frequency being ran). This would be my second guess as to what the problem is.

You can likely narrow the problem down to the most likely culprit if the system is not new. In other words, if you've had this system for a while and it only recently started this behavior. In that case, it's unlikely to be possibility (4) since PSU's have a very low failure rate. Look to overheating (2) to be the cause and course of action to correct it. If the system is new, then it could be either heat or PSU. I'dd address the heat issue first and see if that corrects it, if not... tackle the PSU.

Anon_me

wheee...it just did it again while I was just clicking a link on a board

Oh yeah. I forgot to mention, this only started to happen recently, like 2 weeks or so. And no, I haven't installed anything new in that period of time.

outside looking in

<b>Registered Member</b>
Then I'd say your first line of attack (and fortunately the cheapest) is to look for heat problems.

Check all the fans, clean out dust, and remove, clean, and replace the CPU heatsink using new thermal compound.

If you haven't messed with a CPU heatsink before and aren't too interested in doing it yourself, find a friend to help.

Jon

I second that. I was having similar problems yesterday, so I stripped out my machine, blew all the crap etc. out with a hairdryer, cleaned the fans with a bit of ethanol that I got from the labs at uni :D, and re-applied some thermal compund to my CPU heatsink (I also did my northbridge, too). I'm running at least 5 deg. C cooler on average than what I was...

Just shows how negligent I am / how dirty my room is ;)

Jon

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Unless the power strip is also buggy. Kicking ones feet around under the desk could also cause said problem if the socket is jostled. ;)

Anon_me

Well...got someone in to look at it. Seems my registry was corrupted by Zonealarm so had to format and reintsall Windows :mad2:

edit: nope...did it again. called the guy up and he seems to think it may be the power supply :(

outside looking in

<b>Registered Member</b>
A corrupted registry would most likely have resulted in a BSOD with error message upon crashing.

He could be right about the power supply, but instead of spending the money for a new one to find out, I'd still suggest cleaning dust from everything, checking to make sure all fans are operating properly, and reapplying thermal compound and reseating the CPU heatsink. That is practically free (a few dollars for thermal compound from RadioShack if a friend doesn't have any) and can eliminate that possible cause before you spend uneccessary money.

jimpeel

It's happening to me and it's all heat :(

XP based reboot, Les? If you know that its heat, it can be dealt with. My main machine here had a serious heat issue. All I did was crack open the case to allow for the building heat to just bleed out the top.

Open the machine and get your vacuum cleaner with the crevice attachment. Vacuum out the entire machine including, most importantly, the heatsink over the CPU. If it has a fan, do not over rev the fan. You can hold the fan against rotation as you vacuum the heatsink.

IMPORTANT: Moving air creates static so make sure that you use a non-metallic crevice tool, unplug the unit before servicing, and KEEP YOUR FREE HAND ON THE CHASSIS CASE AT ALL TIMES to bleed off static.

spike

I'm not sure why you bumped this old thread but I would personally never use a household electric vacuum to clean my computer or even to vacuum the floor near my computer.

That's just asking for trouble.

jimpeel

I wish this board had the warning that most boards do for threads that are over a certain age. I didn't read the date and got no warning. This thread is also still being referenced at the bottom of the pages of other threads.

Sorry for bumping this. I'll be more careful in the future.

As for household vacuums being used, I have never used anything else. Proper grounding is key to doing anything with your computer with the cover removed. Those who don't observe proper grounding techniques are asking for trouble and deserve what they get.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Bumping old threads is not a problem...(ask Professur)

Bumping old threads that have no context seems useless.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
I wish this board had the warning that most boards do for threads that are over a certain age. I didn't read the date and got no warning. This thread is also still being referenced at the bottom of the pages of other threads.

You mean the similar threads module. It does have a last post column, no warning thou.