Readyboost on Vista

Winky

The advantage, most notably, seems to be a nearly instantaneous return from the sleep mode.
Now you use the sleep mode instead of hibernate which always took two forevers anyway.

A definition of what readyboost is...

I installed a CORSAIR TurboFlash 512MB Flash Drive
(Corsairs site states they will be releasing a 1 Gig version of this soon,
you want the readyboost to at least equal your RAM)
the return from the sleep mode is mere seconds.

I guess it helps with normal operation as well.

Vista is a enormous hardware Hogg!

Winky

That's right Prof lin-sucks is free.
So is the orifice suite.
If yer gonna pay IT guys ya might as well get the software for free.

I recently loaded Fedora Six then promptly nixed it
was a waste of a blank DVD I tell ya.

But nearly 100% of the desktops on the planet are running Mickeysoft.
Never had to pay for XP or office 2003, this RC1 was sent out by
Billyco for the price of burning it onto a DVD and doens't expire til
May of oh seven. I might have to pony up then wheel see...

Guess world-wide market domination is a tough game to play...

chcr

Too cute for words
Fedora blows. Redhat Enterprise is really good though (but decidedly not free). We're in the process of switching over from UNIX. The UNIX box is 12 years old (yeah, yeah, I know, not my money) and has only been shut down to move it and to replace a failed HDD. If you want to try out Linux, I suggest Ubuntu or Kubuntu, or alternatively Knoppix (runs from the cd drive, don't have to install it, you can also get ubuntu live cds but I like Knoppix's better). I run Debian but getting it set up is a bit more labor intensive. OTOH, there is nothing on my computer that I didn't specifically put on there.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
The only thing that matters...will any flavor of linux run all (or close enough for rock n roll) of the available software out there? What good is an outstanding OS when you can't load your toys & apps without a headache?

Winky said it well enough-
If yer gonna pay IT guys ya might as well get the software for free
(although I run openoffice & love it)

Professur

There are lots of really good windows emulators out there if the software you need isn't available for Linux.

chcr

Too cute for words
The only thing that matters...will any flavor of linux run all (or close enough for rock n roll) of the available software out there? What good is an outstanding OS when you can't load your toys & apps without a headache?

Wine, wine, wine... ;) It's a windows emulator (get it?) for Linux and it runs most PC games as well as office and a bunch of other apps. Initial setup is a bit more involved than run the cd and go, but it's not that hard. Once you have the initial setup done, it's just like windows, click it and go. Re M$ Office, Open Office is better IMO and in runs natively in lots of OS's. Re web browsing, don't you already use Firefox? The new GPL version is Iceweasel (clever huh?) but it works just as well. Of course, you have to actually install things like Flash rather than have big brother decide what you want for you, but...

Hardware support in Linux is better than in windows anymore (other than winmodems anyway) IMO. At least it is in my situation.

This is all just an opinion, but I'm unlikely ot buy another Windows OS myself. Prof is right about Vista, I think. You'll see MAC and Linux start to creep up a bit. I disagree about one thing though. For the typical user Linux is completely adequate desktop OS. Any decent Windows user could sit down at a KDE enabled machine and get right to work. Gnome looks a little different, but operates about the same.

Winky

The majority of users will use the OS that came
loaded on their PC. For years and years.

chcr

Too cute for words
PS: All the computers other than the server are windows in our stores (about eighty of them) and we still need an IT dept., Winky. Mostly for the windows computers.

chcr

Too cute for words
The majority of users will use the OS that came
loaded on their PC. For years and years.

Quite true. I make a lot of money on the side because they do. I don't think most of us are "typical" users though.

Winky

Roger that

As for typical nope we ain't that.

atypical?

unusual?

off-the-mark

out on the fringe

whacked outta our gourds?

Yeah M'Kay

chcr

Too cute for words
Roger that

As for typical nope we ain't that.

atypical?

unusual?

off-the-mark

out on the fringe

whacked outta our gourds?

Yeah M'Kay

I was thinking more along the lines of "a couple of tacos short of a combination plate," but I think "all of the above" probably applies to many if not most of us. :D

spike

I installed a CORSAIR TurboFlash 512MB Flash Drive
(Corsairs site states they will be releasing a 1 Gig version of this soon,
you want the readyboost to at least equal your RAM)

You're not running Vista on 512MB or less of RAM are you?

Winky

The absolute fact is...

Veesta will refuse to load on anything less than 512

Just as Win98 liked 128Mb and XP couldn't
adequately stretch its legs in anything less than 512

The minimum good size to use on Veesta is one Gig

32 bit Veesta is still limited anything beyond 4 gig is a waste of money.

(do me a favor and STFU if you want to argue about my contention
regarding the limit cuz you'll lose suckers,
you'll only be exposing yer ignorance up front)

From Mickeysoft

All editions of Windows Vista 64-bit provide increased memory support beyond the standard 4 gigabytes (GB) available with 32-bit editions. Refer to the specific edition of Windows Vista 64-bit to determine maximum memory capacity.

vi.JPG

and of course in keeping with the original subject of this thread there's this:

Furthermore, Windows Vista will come with a new feature called Superfetch. With Windows XP, Microsoft included a feature called Prefetch: a dynamic service that preemptively loads files into the pagefile in order to speed up application load time. Superfetch advances further in two steps. Step one is to build profiles of frequently used applications and store those profiles into the pagefile, and system memory. Step two is to pool NAND and all other available memory to move as much of the pagefile as possible off the hard drive and onto the solid state memory. As a result, anyone with a heavy usage profile will have a significant portion of their system memory dedicated to application data.

link-o-rama