Recession? We don' need no steenkeen recession!

2minkey

bootlicker
You do realize that most of that article basically says that either the USA is currently in a recession (by any other name), or is about to do so...right?

well, if he don't unnerstand GDP, whattya expect?

(mice shoot from seven directions as peel pries himself off a long passed-on 14 year-old dressed like a housewife from 1917 - eeeek! - and scurries to google furiously...)

MrBishop

*So if I err I am supposed to leave it posted in its errant state? That is what the edit function is for.
Granted...but to edit a pre-existing post so that it makes a riposte meaningless is not simply a matter of editing a grammatical error or layout error...it's tantamount to spin-doctoring

2minkey

bootlicker
would you like me to apologize on behalf of all foul-tongued americans? perhaps send along a gift basket? maybe a coupon for some free poo-teen?

jimpeel

You do realize that most of that article basically says that either the USA is currently in a recession (by any other name), or is about to do so...right?

Regardless of the OPINION -- have to please Spike -- of the article we are not in a recession; and we have not had ONE quarter of negative growth let alone the two necessary to be declared so.

There is no recession other than the one coming out of the mouths of the news readers!

jimpeel

well, if he don't unnerstand GDP, whattya expect?

(mice shoot from seven directions as peel pries himself off a long passed-on 14 year-old dressed like a housewife from 1917 - eeeek! - and scurries to google furiously...)

I posted the definition HERE and it clearly states:

http://www.sparknotes.com/economics/macro/measuring1/section1.html

• GDP is a number that expresses the worth of the output of a country in local currency.
  • GDP tries to capture all final goods and services as long as they are produced within the country, thereby assuring that the final monetary value of everything that is created in a country is represented in the GDP.
  • GDP is calculated for a specific period of time, usually a year or a quarter of a year.

Anyone have a problem with that definition?

MrBishop stated:
The Saudis and other OPEC nations are actually bolstering your economy.

How does that jibe with what is posted above? Saudi and other OPEC nations' imports are not "produced within [this] country". Their imports do not reflect the "output of [this] country".

jimpeel

Granted...but to edit a pre-existing post so that it makes a riposte meaningless is not simply a matter of editing a grammatical error or layout error...it's tantamount to spin-doctoring

I posted the original post at 8:49A and it took until 8:56 to repost it in its edited form because I added the reference link. You posted your ripost at 8:55 and I have not yet seen it as I was busy trying to make the correction and add the reference.

If you had used the quote button to respond, the post would have been there in its original form. There was no effort to edit after you posted to make your ripost invalid. It just happened that way; unless you believe that I could have done all of tyhat in one minute flat just to try to make you look bad.

BTW. The edit function is also available to you and you could have modified your ripost to reflect what I edited.

2minkey

bootlicker
you may have posted that definition but some of your other commentary made it obvious that you didn't really understand its meaning. perhaps you corrected yourself later, and perhaps you have a better idea of what it means now, i dunno, but i'm not about to sort through all your long-winded posts. if you can't make a real point in a paragraph, ya ain't got one. and you certainly didn't get it right the first time. if you'd taken econ 101 + 102 we wouldn't be having this conversation.

jimpeel

Mayhaps...but I sure as hell didn't know. :shrug:

He has a standing invite to go out for a beer the next time he comes to CO. You too if you ever make it here.

We have some of the finest microbrews in the nation here in CO.