Science strikes again

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Science confirms the source of sunshine

Scientists are a step closer to understanding sunshine. A monumental experiment buried deep beneath the mountains of Italy has provided Princeton physicists with a clearer understanding of the sun's heart -- and of a mysterious class of subatomic particles born there.

The researchers, working as part of an international collaboration at the underground Gran Sasso National Laboratory near L'Aquila, Italy, have made the first real-time observation of low-energy solar neutrinos, which are fundamental particles created by nuclear reactions that stream in vast numbers from the sun's core.

"Our observations essentially confirm that we understand how the sun shines," said Frank Calaprice, a professor of physics and principal investigator of the Princeton team.

All hail science! It is the answer to all things! Bow down to the lab coat!

What a crock of utter shit. I guess it does take a scientist to confirm that sunshine does indeed come from the sun. Whodathunkit?

And yet so many expect this same bunch of idiots to explain so much for them. Sad really. What's next, oh great and powerful wizard, you gonna tell me that I can detect the direction of the wind by observing which way a piece of paper floats away? :retard3: :elaugh1: :laugh3: :laugh3: :laugh3: :roll2: :retard4: :bs:

spike

Seems to be that the scientists just gained a better understanding of the nuclear reactions that take place within the sun.

The article wasn't about confirming "that sunshine does indeed come from the sun". Maybe you didn't read it though.

catocom

I'm just a practical kinda guy, I guess.
Those things Only interest me if the can be use in practice.
Now if they can use some of that to, say, boost the output of a solar panel,
to heat a house Even more efficiently that is currently available, Then
maybe I say it was worthwhile.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Nuclear reactions, sub atomic particles, physics.

I agree. I'm all about understanding the world around us and how it works. Everyone knows that sunshine comes from the sun and most people know that the sun is a ball of fire...but what exactly it's made up of and WHY/HOW it's a big ball of fire interests me :)

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
A monumental experiment buried deep beneath the mountains

I can't believe nobody spotted the obvious problem. There is no sunshine buried deep beneath the mountains. They were all looking at flashlights. We all know flashlights needs batteries. Jeez. Sunlight, therefore, comes from Duracell.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
I'm just a practical kinda guy, I guess.
Those things Only interest me if the can be use in practice.
Now if they can use some of that to, say, boost the output of a solar panel,
to heat a house Even more efficiently that is currently available, Then
maybe I say it was worthwhile.

Actually, all knowledge is worthwhile. Even if it doesn't have an application right away, it will have one in the future.

For example, did you know that for centuries the square root of -1 was known to be just i, it was merely a mathematical curiosity with no real life application, time passed and then some electricians needed it so they could make real life calculations. Now we have huge grids of electric distribution, electronic components and computers.

unclehobart

The real question here is: how can the military make a nextgen weapon from this classification of subatomic particulation?

Code name: DEEP TAN

Professur

Actually, it was a piss poorly written article about some half decent research. It's more like "The media strike again".

I understand that science articles have to be dumbed down some for the common joe to understand them .... but do they have to dumb it down to first grader levels?

unclehobart

I like north Georgia 'apple shine' the best. It comes in at about 140 proof and has a nice clean taste that doesn't strip the enamel off of the teeth. A mere 2 swigs will make one a mellow fellow and three will give one a sense of numb freefall.

catocom

Since the old timers died off, Apple Brandy (homemade) is harder to find.
Unless you make it yourself.
I think actually, it's not illegal to make, just to distribute.

There used to be a place in town that sold home brew kits, but they're gone now I think.