Science strikes again

catocom

Actually, all knowledge is worthwhile. Even if it doesn't have an application right away, it will have one in the future.

For example, did you know that for centuries the square root of -1 was known to be just i, it was merely a mathematical curiosity with no real life application, time passed and then some electricians needed it so they could make real life calculations. Now we have huge grids of electric distribution, electronic components and computers.

That's why I said 'was'.
I don't think it 'Is' worth the tax dollars ATM.

Maybe the can fix the tanning beds now, so they don't cause so much cancer.:shrug:

Inkara1

Actually, it was a piss poorly written article about some half decent research. It's more like "The media strike again".

I understand that science articles have to be dumbed down some for the common joe to understand them .... but do they have to dumb it down to first grader levels?

Journalists are actually supposed to write to an eighth-grade level.

BeardofPants

Actually, it was a piss poorly written article about some half decent research. It's more like "The media strike again".

I understand that science articles have to be dumbed down some for the common joe to understand them .... but do they have to dumb it down to first grader levels?

:sex:

chcr

Too cute for words
sunlight actually comes from a gravitational collapse of a cloud of gas

Sunlight comes from nuclear (noo-cue-lar if you prefer) fusion. Fusion can be triggered by the gravitional collapse of a massive enough cloud of dust and gas.

For five points, is light a particle or a wave? ;)

JJR512

Light has properties of both particles and waves.

Photons should get mentioned in this somehow...

markjs

Banned
Taken with S&P's brilliant editorial this is a funny thread *** 3 stars!

But really without the commentary I fail to see where it's hard to understand the excerpt.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
OK them, if not Duracell, how about
chap05_energizer_bunny.jpg