"Scientific" creation.

Should creationism be taught as a scientific alternative to evolution in the schools?

• No! They should stop filling our childrens heads with this creation nonsense.

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • No, they should keep religion out of the science curriculum.

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • Yes, they are equally valid teories and should be taught equally.

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Yes! They should stop filling our childrens heads with this evolution nonsense.

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters

chcr

Too cute for words
Everything about God or Gods or Jesus, et al, doesn't necessarily have to be associated with religion.
Sorry, you don't have to espouse an organized religion, but God (or gods, goddesses, etc.) is what religion is. Religion doesn't necessarily imply any kind of church or organization.
With that in mind, creationism-evolution could simply be taught as one of the theories of how we got here, not necessarily as being based on fact,
I have no problem whatsoever with the teaching of it, but not in a science curriculum. It isn't science.

nalani

chcr said:
According to Hawaiians, we evolved from slime -> corals -> fishes -> etc ...
Didn't know that. Is there a website where I could read more about it?

ku'u left for the day ... there are several sites that you can read about the Story of Creation, known to Hawaiians as "Kumulipo" - I don't know of any off the top of my head, but perhaps you can do a search for "Kumulipo". If English translations are given, they are probably ok, but in all honesty, the translations given by ku'u are much more credible, IMHO.

There are other stories of creation, of populating the islands, of the birth of the Hawaiian people, and so forth ... but the Kumulipo, which is also called a "myth" but is far from it, is all encompassing - scientific, poetic, and spiritual. It is the birth of all things from nothingness. It is, for lack of a better word or better comparison, our Bible.

nalani

Professur said:
kuulani said:
According to Hawaiians, we evolved from slime -> corals -> fishes -> etc ...

Wouldn't that be the politicians?

I know you meant that as a joke, but it's best to remember that the way that non-Hawaiians (or non-Native peoples) look at things with negative connotations, is not the way Hawaiians or Native peoples view things. For example, slime is not looked on negatively. It is from slime that things are created, that holds in the life-giving forces and enables growth - including that of humans. Therefore, it is of the most positive of compliments.

Professur

Damn. Thanks Nal. I'll have to remember that. You can't insult a Hawaiian by calling him a slimeball.

You learn something new every day. Long Live Diversity.:beerdrnk:

chcr

Too cute for words
Thanks nalani, I will. A part time hobby of mine is comparing various creation stories. Creationists will tell you they're all strikingly similar, but I haven't found that to be true.

Oh, and Prof?
I would have liked to respond to the Arkleseizure question, but I had to stop and pick my nose.

nalani

Professur said:
Damn. Thanks Nal. I'll have to remember that. You can't insult a Hawaiian by calling him a slimeball.

heh .. don't get me wrong .. I still think anything slimy is gross :D

there's a plant here called hau - it's a beach hibiscus and we use the bark for making rope. Under the bark, when you peel it away from the soft wood, there's a slime there - and it's said that if you're having a hard labor, you can drink it and it will help the baby to come out quicker ... I do believe I can safely say that I have never, and will never, drink that slime *is gagging just thinking about it*

:D

nalani

chcr said:
Thanks nalani, I will. A part time hobby of mine is comparing various creation stories. Creationists will tell you they're all strikingly similar, but I haven't found that to be true.

Many, if they come from roughly the same ecological background, will be similar ... many Native American tribes have similar stories to those of the Pacific - the basic difference is the environment ... we can't have creation heroes that didn't ride across the ocean in great canoes ;)

chcr

Too cute for words
Man can create atoms. Hell, man can create clones too. Why is that considered science?
We don't "create" them, we make them from other things. "Creation" (at least the way creationists mean it) involves creation from nothing, via some sort of supernatural agent. One of these days I'll start a cloning thread, maybe. A lot of differing opinions there too.

kuulani

chcr said:

If you want, I can email you translations of the Kumulipo - or at least parts of it, I haven't gotten around to translation all 2,102 lines :D

chcr

Too cute for words
Thanks kuu, I'm looking at a couple of websites. If I'm not satisfied with them, I'll get back to you.:D

nalani

I'm telling you - no one's translation will be as satisfactory as ku'u's ... I'm not just saying that cause she's my friend and cousin-in-law, it's because .. well ... she's the translating goddess ... *bows*

HomeLAN

The Georgia community you speak of happens to be Cobb County - where I live. The fact that the whole damn thing is a national story is a good lesson on why NOT to let the most aggressive of either party to have control of your local government.

greenfreak

I think they should teach *about* religion in school; all religions. Arm these kids with information and leave the individual decisions on what to believe up to them.

But, like American schools neglecting to teach us about our closest neighbors, they can't teach it all so they pick and choose what isn't important enough to spend time on.

The first time I was properly introduced to other religions and their affect on culture in a school setting was in college when I took a Western Civilization class. I liked it so much, I took the Western Civ II the next semester. I shouldn't have had to wait that long.

HomeLAN

With religion, it has to be all or none in a public school setting.

#1 - there isn't time for all
#2 - Religion shouldn't (IMO) be taught in a public school in any case.