Small Bitch Session

Professur

and loosing terabytes of data will be commonplace too. Simple sanity insists that you don't install a single drive bigger than anyone will put on a server for your home machine.

HomeLAN

Buy 'em in pairs with an external enclosure and run ghost form time to time, or (since most mobos today feature on-board SATA RAID), run 'em RAIDed. I prefer the former, since I've seen PS failures pop everything inside the case, but either one is a slick way to protect from fatal HD failure. Drives are cheap anymore.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I have been on the look out for a humongous external drive that's affordable (read :cheap) solely for backups. I'm still looking.

HomeLAN

Fuck that. Buy a standard EIDE drive and hook it in through an external USB 2.0 enclosure. Your transfer speeds won't set the world on fire, but the solution works. 300 GB for what, about $125?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I compare the prices to an internal of the same size & get pissy.

[edit]Doh, I need remedial reading lessons

chcr

Too cute for words
HomeLAN said:
Fuck that. Buy a standard EIDE drive and hook it in through an external USB 2.0 enclosure. Your transfer speeds won't set the world on fire, but the solution works. 300 GB for what, about $125?

Got one, works fine. :D

Winky

Yeah HL I'm dealin' with a cust. comp with Viruses\spyware right now
And you are right about the only PC worth having is a roll your own
but there ain't no (or very little) profit in that anymore as the generic off the self items are dirt cheap now-a-days

Oh well a PC, a loaf of bread or a gallon of milk
just a commodity item...

and competition from the guy in India or Manila for tech support

things ain’t what they used to be

Free tech support, you get what you (don’t) pay for…

HomeLAN

Winky said:
Oh well a PC, a loaf of bread or a gallon of milk
just a commodity item...

That's exactly it. The usual deal I hear is "I just bought a new machine, can you get my data on it?"

My usual response is to quote my hourly rate. You want me to build the machine, I throw that bit in for free.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
If you want a computer, buy Emachines. If you wasnt a system, build your own (nobody can afford Alienware)

HomeLAN

Gonz said:
If you want a computer, buy Emachines.

Remind me to bitchslap you next time you're down here for uttering that blasphemy. Emachines aren't computers. They're low-slung end tables.

Winky

Me too Iffin' I build it I load er up.

Many times I'll do an OS restore after extensive spyware\virus damage

I'll get yer data back on but those apps you don't have the install disks for

well yer on yer own

Heh Gonz I BUILD Alienware!!! If ya want
brow.gif

HomeLAN

Winky said:
I'll get yer data back on but those apps you don't have the install disks for well yer on yer own

Man, do they ever get indignant when you tell 'em that! I once told my father-in-law "Fine, fix the fuckin' thing yourself!" over just that issue. He calmed down right smartly when I began to pack my tools up.

Professur

HomeLAN said:
Remind me to bitchslap you next time you're down here for uttering that blasphemy. Emachines aren't computers. They're low-slung end tables.

that reminds me, I've got to get those two end tables (386 tower servers) out and strip the covers. I need the sheet metal for the pickup's floor.

Altron

You know what's an even bigger sham than $25 USB cables - Monster cables.

Seriously, they tell me to try to get people to buy Monster cables with everything I sell. There was this one guy picking up a $30 "cyberhome" dvd player and they told me to try to sell him a Monster component video cable for $80. Even if they're buying a VCR to use with a 13" black and white TV, you're still supposed to try selling the the Monster cables for it. Not to mention the overpriced install plan ($250 to take the fucking TV out of the box and plug it in) and the overpriced "service plan" where they fix it if it breaks. Except for the really high end flat panels and rear projectors, most of the shit is disposable. People buy it, use it until it breaks, and replace it. And it's not just for TVs. When I go in to snag one of the 80gb for $20 ($100 regularly, but tons of rebates) hard drives, they ask me if I want the $30 3 year replacement plan, when it says on the fucking box that the drive has a three year warranty! Previously I would give a sarcastic answer to that question, but once you work in retail electronics, your perspective changes. He's not offering to sell it because he believes in it (even though the etraining said "believe in the circuit city advantage plan and sell it"), but because the people at the circuit city management place put an hour long flash video in the etraining telling you to sell it. It's borderline brainwashing.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I didn't read the whole thread cause I'm lazy...but, like NO printers come with cables now. The printer I bought 3 years ago did but my new one didn't...same cable thankfully...but yeah...most don't.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Emachines...for the price, are great.

You build Alienware, huh...

Damn, Altron...although you're right. Monster cable is badly overpriced.

Inkara1

I've seen Monster and regular cables taken apart and there is a definite quality difference. It's not worth it for your low-end crap, but if you're spending $4000 on a TV it's stupid to use $10 cables with it.