so i went out for a smoke....

Professur

MrBishop said:
Nope...sounds like I'm using a cross to loosen them enough to use a torque wrench on them...not using a torque wrench to break them loose.

Actually...I don't recall that instance...but I've heard of equally stupid things done before. It's the tone that I have issues with.

Bish, for the last time. Don't use the torque wrench as a rachet ... period. It's used ONLY to apply the final tightening to a nut. If you're using it to remove a nut and the end of the lug has been peened over, or even if it just encounters crud in the threads of the lug, it stresses the mechanism inside the head. With the length of the bar, you'd never notice, but suddenly the 90ft/lbs setting is actually 100ft/lbs.

Ah, fuck it. Why do I even bother with you.

MrBishop

Professur said:
Ah, fuck it. Why do I even bother with you.
...because you get a kick out of calling me stupid or assuming that I'm stupid and thinking that you can come to my rescue?

It's a terminology issue we're having, Prof.

I wrote torque wrench...I was thinking ratchet...y'know... about 8" long. Makes it faster to remove nuts and bolts especially it you can't reach them with your fingers, a regular wrench etc...

You read torque wrench and were thinking of something 2 feet long. Right?

Professur

I see. I'm wrong for assuming you don't know something you don't know. Obviously my fault.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque_wrench

0588654_450_CC_263d5.jpg

Torque wrench

0589899_450_SC_e1a2.jpg

Rachet.

chcr

Too cute for words
Professur said:
It's running south. It'll probably bypass us and hammer the fuck outta NY.
That sounds familiar.

Oh, and Prof? An air impact and the proper torque socket is the best way to remove and install tires, IMO. I've crackes a few wheels and stretched a few lugs over the years myself.

Professur

Air impact is nice, but you need to have the big compressor and enough space to use it. My 3HP will manage (barely) but the hassle of pulling it outta storage and then putting it back for 4 lousy tires just isn't worth it. I usually go with the cross key or a big half inch breaker bar. What my Dad taught me when I was 6 still tends to be the route I take in most things. And he never owned a compressor.

But is there any feeling worse than spinning a lug free? Snap the bitch off, no problem. But spin that cow, and you just know your weekend's fucked.

MrBishop

Professur said:
Oh, and for future reference, <image> is called a hammer.
Actually...that's a claw-hammer

This here:
Ames_6_Pound_Sledgehammer_Shop_Tools-resized200.jpg

Is a sledge-hammer.

This here:
Hammer_44547735.jpg

Is a jewelers-hammer.

The difference is scale.

chcr

Too cute for words
Professur said:
Air impact is nice, but you need to have the big compressor and enough space to use it. My 3HP will manage (barely) but the hassle of pulling it outta storage and then putting it back for 4 lousy tires just isn't worth it. I usually go with the cross key or a big half inch breaker bar. What my Dad taught me when I was 6 still tends to be the route I take in most things. And he never owned a compressor.

But is there any feeling worse than spinning a lug free? Snap the bitch off, no problem. But spin that cow, and you just know your weekend's fucked.

Got an air chisel too. ;)
My compressor is a six HP Craftsman with a 30 gallon tank (upright). It's still not big enough for an HVLP paint gun, but it runs a 1/2 inch impact no problem.