so...the Olympics are on...

K62

unclehobart said:
24-1? Might as well have been 100-1 for all it matters. It's not horseshoes. You actually have to get it past the guy wearing the Micheal Meyers mask to be effective.

Wheres Gordie Howe when you need him? Gordie coulda won it all by himself with half his ego tied behind his back.

Perhaps your definition of "smoked" is different than mine... To me "smoked" would imply that this was a one sided game on all levels. If we had 24 shots to 1 shot in one period, and out shot them badly overall, that would show that it was not a one sided game for the Swiss at all. Overall I would say they won because of Excellent goal tending, excellent job of crowding the net and luck. (puck sitting on the line... bad calls against us [when we had the 4 min pp], goal that WAS in, but not counted...)

Inkara1

Considering that the Canadians lost by two goals, fretting about one goal that wasn't counted won't change the outcome of the game.

unclehobart

K62 said:
Perhaps your definition of "smoked" is different than mine... To me "smoked" would imply that this was a one sided game on all levels. If we had 24 shots to 1 shot in one period, and out shot them badly overall, that would show that it was not a one sided game for the Swiss at all. Overall I would say they won because of Excellent goal tending, excellent job of crowding the net and luck. (puck sitting on the line... bad calls against us [when we had the 4 min pp], goal that WAS in, but not counted...)
Are ye blind, laddie? I already gave my definition for smoked in #51.

I say they were smoked on a skill level as well considering the professional pedigree the Canadian team had. They are all pros. They shouldn't have even been basic challenged by a team with only two pros, and one of those 10 years past his playing days. I equate it to the summer Olympics where the all NBA ringer US team got beat by the Yugoslavs (guessing) non pro team. By sheer on paper statistics of sheer talent and power, the Canadian team should be positively manhandling everyone by obscene margins.

unclehobart

The Russian skaters always impressed the hell out of me the most. They make it look sooo darn easy and graceful.

Ohno has batted the cycle. He now has a bronze, silver, and gold lifetime.

unclehobart

Gonz said:
No? How about South Africa? Haiti? Venezuela? Egypt?
Venezuela - mens single luge
South Africa- 3 participants: skeleton, 15km classic, and one guy doing 5 downhill skiing events... super g and all that ho-hah.

No Haiti or Egypt... but there is Madagascar, Senegal, Etiopia, Kenya, Algeria, Lebanon, Brazil, Bermuda, the Virgin Islands, and Costa Rica.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I coldn't find a participating country list (ok, fine, I didn't try very hard) & it seems as though I kept hearing white guy countries. Just wondering.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
While I ain't much of an Olympics viewer, and while I hate snow almost as much as I hate other stuff I hate a lot, I prefer the winter games over the summer. Take out the figure skating and I could almost enjoy the winter Olympics.

Almost.

AllEars' and myself found ourselves watching some curling this morning. I had seen it a few times before, and knew enough of the rules to not be totally ignorant of the game. I don't think she had ever seen it before. Curling in Dixie is what ladies do to their hair. We kinda enjoyed it. Then we got nekkid and really enjoyed that. I don't think the two events were related.

unclehobart

Thats the official subsite for Anglicans. There are official sites for pretty much every country so that the presentation styles can be fine tuned to the local tastes. You being an American, I kinda figured that you would want to see the 'merican one.

*edit/addendum*

After much rooting about, I have determined that your link is the defacto Olympics master site... which is to say that it is a gateway to everything Olympics past, present, and future with the myriad of factiods and back-patting and such. My site is the current slice of definitive Torino 2006 games and nothing but.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
unclehobart said:
You actually have to get it past the guy wearing the Micheal Meyers mask to be effective.

the jason vorhees mask, micheal myers wore what was a captain kirk mask painted white.

heathen.

K62

Yanks were just smoked by Sweden. 4th place is all they can hope for now. (I believe)