Soup

Sharky

Shrimp Chowder

4 slices bacon, chopped

1 large onion, chopped

2 stalks celery, chopped

1 pound shrimp, headed (size doesn't matter - you're gonna chop 'em up anyway)

2 (7 oz.) cans minced clams (Snow's brand is good if they are available)

1 pint fresh undrained shucked oysters

1 (14.5 oz.) can whole potatoes, drained

1 (8 oz.) can corn, drained

3 cups half-and-half

1 teaspoon salt

Heat a soup pot over medium heat; add bacon. Fry bacon until crisp, about 5 minutes. Drain most of the drippings. Add onion, celery, and oysters. Cook, stirring, until onion is tender, about 5 minutes.

Peel dem shrimps, chop into bite-size pieces. Add shrimp to pot.

Add undrained clams, potatoes, corn, half-and-half and salt to the pot.

Heat chowder until hot but not boiling, about 15 minutes. Serve immediately, or for best results, cool and refrigerate for up to 24 hours to allow the flavors to blend. Reheat slowly before serving.

Tonks, if Unc wants to try this chowder and legumes are OK, maybe substitute the corn with some beans or lentils. :cool:

And the oysters can be omitted if squirming bivalves ain't yer kick.

Sharky

Bean Soup

This is just a basic recipe that you can use with just about any kind of beans. I don't measure the ingredients, just toss in what looks about right and taste it as you go.

You can use smoked pork shank, short ribs, smoked ham hock, smoked hog jowl, fatback, back bacon, or whatever is on hand. Cook it in with the beans for 2-3 hours, or until the beans are tender. Saute in another pan some onion and garlic until clear and add to the beans with some salt, pepper, a smidgen of dry mustard and a pinch of parsley. If you want to serve over rice, mash up some beans to thicken.

You can cook some chopped carrot in with the beans, too.
Even if you're using shank, ribs, or ham hock, if you add a little hog jowl to the cooking beans, it renders down nicely and gives the soup a velvety texture.

simplyred

I love shrimp and corn soup (which I have had subed with crawfish).

My dad makes this FANTASTIC soup he got out of an Italian cook book that is so filling. It's called bean and leek soup and is SO good. I'll have to track down the recipe. However, anytime you are messing with leeks be prepared for the MESS! Sand everywhere!

tonksy

Sharky - your bean soup sounds very much like mine but I've never added ground mustard. I love to put the herb savory in my bean dishes, it really goes well with beans.

Roz - I've never had sand in my leeks before :confused:
That soup sounds yum though!

BeardofPants

I love shrimp and corn soup (which I have had subed with crawfish).

My dad makes this FANTASTIC soup he got out of an Italian cook book that is so filling. It's called bean and leek soup and is SO good. I'll have to track down the recipe. However, anytime you are messing with leeks be prepared for the MESS! Sand everywhere!
:hmm: Sand? Mud maybe, but not sand. That soup sounds like the italian ribollata (sp?) - the BF makes that; the trick is to save up your old parmesan rinds and dump them in the stock mess when it's reducing - very yummy!

simplyred

You know that gritty muddy stuff. Ok, Maybe sand wasn't an accurate discription, but in any case it's messy.

BB

Turkey soup on Boxing day!

sooo reviving! Love the smell all morning ... lots of regular tastings as it progresses.

For one day ayear, even celery is a star!

tonksy

Synopsis of dinner:
The soup came out great! We ended up adding a tad more curry as we like it spicy and probably a tad more salt then it called for - southern palate and all. The texture was great!
The petis were good! I need to season the potatoes more and let the potatoes dry out a tad more before stuffing with the lamb mixture. I also need to be wary of how much oil is being absorbed as I slightly burned one side of one batch.
Over all, a success night of new recipes.

simplyred

It sounds good. At first I couldn't imagine curry with sweet pots., but when you fully described the dinner it sound really tasty!

tonksy

Yeah...I was a little intrigued because it was so different from any sweet potato soup I had tried before but it really was nice.
The petis (which I realize I didn't describe well) are these indian stuffed cakes which are basically like cajun meat pies but the with potato batter. You boil and mash potatoes plain (a little salt) and let them cool. Divide into 8-10 portions, flatten in your palm and put a scoop of fully cooked meat mixture, fold over the potatoes to make an enclosed patty, dip in beaten egg, roll in bread crumbs, chill in the fridge for an hour and then pan fry in shallow oil.
It was good! My meat mixture from the recipe was basically ground lamb, onions, green chilies, mint, cilantro, and garlic with a dash of salt and lemon juice.

tonksy

LOL! It's not so popular over here for some odd reason.
Tonight I am giving the cookbook another go with a cashew nut chicken with rice and then I'll make a saag recipe that I found online...it's been a long time since I was excited about cooking. Between this and the soup it's become fun again.

BB

:)

you wanna ask Dev for some recipies!

over here you can get all the ghee and wotnot easy ... heh, we had this MD drive down from Manchester (hardly un-multicultural itself) and ring up asking for direction from the motorway ... he described where he was driving through as (exact words)

"Like Karachi"

i said, yup :grinyes: you are on the right track carry on to over the flyover , come on in till the lights take a right .... etc ...

Done well, Indian food is right up there with italian for me!

best, BB