steering and traction protection

Altron

Can't you just swap them yourself? It would be just like changing a flat tire, four times in a row.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Can't you just swap them yourself? It would be just like changing a flat tire, four times in a row.

Well, to do that I'd need to pay for the rims...and by paying for the rims I'm getting FREE swaps...they don't have a "pay less for the rims and swap them yourself" option. Also, the rims are the same price as everywhere else I've priced...with or without swapping.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
What kind of rims? Did you even look at the ones I suggested?

Steel rims...getting them in the proper width and four bolt has proven tricky.

I can't find anywhere that sells the Toyos here in Calgary (keep in mind I want a chain place so that I can have support if I go back to Ontario)...but I did include them in my online research when I was checking out reviews and such. They're good, just as good as the Michelin it seems, but these that I'm getting are rated better.

Professur

The 4 season tires Dad's car came with were well rated. But on this car, they suck ... and everyone who's driven a Colt with these has complained. It's not just about the tires ... it's how they work as a part of the whole suspension system. That's why I asked if they'd perhaps let you try-fly a set.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Well, the guy at the tire shop knows the kind of car I have and these are what he suggested. They also have a 30 day, no hassle, guarantee.

Professur

Well, like I said above, what matters is entirely what you feel from the driver's seat. Don't be shy to be critical about them. If they'll let you swap out if you're not happy, that's worth something.

Altron

Nope, sold it.

I've got the Maxima, but she's old and problems are starting to show up. Now 138,000 miles on it.

The VQ30 is just such a nice engine.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
and by "got the Maxima" he means it's at his mommy and daddy's house and he's away at school (or so he said a few weeks ago)

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Well, I got the tires yesterday and I love them. I don't really notice any loss in cornering capability or anything (most of the complaints I've heard about snow tires outside of noise is cornering)...they're noisier than all seasons of course, they're expected to be. A guy from work and I were loading my all seasons into his truck today (he's going to put them in the company storage unit for the winter for me) and he was like "WHOA! Those things look like they'd eat you!" about my winter tires...I must say, they're pretty hardcore!

Professur

Now you need to make damn sure that your pressure is correct. When the tires are cold in the morning, check them ... every time the temp swings. If the morning temp is more than 5 degrees colder than last week, you'll be low. That's the biggest killer of good winter tires: underinflation. Don't worry about being over unless the temp has risen by at least 10 in the mornings.

And don't get cocky thinking they make you invulnerable.