Thank heaven for the scientists

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Like the appendix, which up until recently, was pretty much "useless."

Considered pretty much useless...by scientists. I always figured if God gave me one it served some purpose. But what would I know? I don't wear a lab coat and spend my days watching strings fall out of a box. *snicker*

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
I have a thought. Perhaps the string entanglement theory can be used to more perfectly pack parachutes for the military, or make compact emergency parachutes for private planes to try and save the whole craft. It can also be used into the parachutes of top fuel dragsters. Lord knows I see those getting tangles all the time.

:grinno: The way 'chutes are packed dictates how they open...and they way they're packed is by the book. My current record is 750 chutes and 0 malfunctions. The last malfunction I remember had to do with the aircraft systems. ;)

Gato_Solo

Some scientists think they have figured out the real job of the troublesome and seemingly useless appendix: It produces and protects good germs for your gut.

There's your entire thesis right there. Some scientists also think the appendix is useless. The question is not about who did the study. The question is WHY was the study done? On top of that...its only been relatively recently that the appendix was declared useless. I wonder why it was said back then...

BeardofPants

I think it's a bit presumptive to gauge the "thesis" from the media-speak alone, gato. :shrug: In any case, regardless of the scientific application, unless it becomes Law as opposed to hypothesis or theory, there will always be differing camps in the scientific community.

Gato_Solo

I think it's a bit presumptive to gauge the "thesis" from the media-speak alone, gato. :shrug: In any case, regardless of the scientific application, unless it becomes Law as opposed to hypothesis or theory, there will always be differing camps in the scientific community.

According to Einstein, there are no Laws in science any more. Only theories. Simply because so many laws are changed due to the finding of new data.