the book of questions

Oz

tonks said:
QUESTION #6
You discover your wonderful one year old child is, because of a mishap at the hospital, not yours....would you want to exchange the child to try and correct the mistake?

Nope, after a year I'd have prolly grown attached to the lil' dude/dudette (and hopefully vice-versa) Besides, there is a lot more more to being a parent than the swapping of bodily fluids (tho' admittedly....that is a fun bit).

However........I do pity the poor buggers that end up with SonofOz :D

tonksy

QUESTION #7
Do you think the world will be a better or a worse place 100 years from now?

i think this is subjective. it will depend on the point of view of the individual...i think the advancements in technology will be amazing...cures for diseases as well...but the nature land will suffer...of course...the earth may seem more machine than ever...but science fiction writers have been thinking this way forever.

Inkara1

If the people I went to school with are the future, then we're screwed, blued and tattoed.

freako104

tonks said:
QUESTION #7

i think this is subjective. it will depend on the point of view of the individual...i think the advancements in technology will be amazing...cures for diseases as well...but the nature land will suffer...of course...the earth may seem more machine than ever...but science fiction writers have been thinking this way forever.

if humanity keeps going the direction it does worse. if it doesnt keep resorting to violence better

Oz

tonks said:
QUESTION #7

Definitly not........in the last hundred years we've managed to screw the world up so badly :eh: I can only see the divide between rich and poor gettin' bigger and bigger.

chcr

Too cute for words
QUESTION #7

Sure. It's a better place now than it was when I was a kid, why wouldn't it be better in 100 years?

Definitly not........in the last hundred years we've managed to screw the world up so badly :eh: I can only see the divide between rich and poor gettin' bigger and bigger.

The gap was bigger worldwide 100 years ago than it is now, Oz. Over the last 20 or so certain groups have been trying to make it bigger again, though.

Oz

chcr said:
The gap was bigger worldwide 100 years ago than it is now, Oz. Over the last 20 or so certain groups have been trying to make it bigger again, though.

Yup...but 100 yrs ago a family had a better chance of being self sufficient.

These days with more and more corporations buying up more and more land the poor are left with little, or no, natural resources they can use. We live in an age where a dollar (or a pound, wotever) in the pocket is more important to survival than anything else......and if yer ain't born into money......yer gotta sweat yer butt of to get it. Pretty easy for us in certain countries.......a bloody nightmare for a coupla billion around the world tho'.

chcr

Too cute for words
Yup...but 100 yrs ago a family had a better chance of being self sufficient.
I think that would have depended on where you lived, Oz. 100 years ago in a lot of countries people below a certain social status were not allowed to own property (still that way in India, maybe elsewhere), and therefore were depndent on others for food and board and could be kicked out on their ear for no reason at all. A lot of that has disappeared.

Oz

chcr said:
I think that would have depended on where you lived, Oz. 100 years ago in a lot of countries people below a certain social status were not allowed to own property (still that way in India, maybe elsewhere), and therefore were depndent on others for food and board and could be kicked out on their ear for no reason at all. A lot of that has disappeared.

Indeed........but still today we have worse things happening. Take the case of Guatemala (sp?) Tens of thousands were reliant of their coffee production for an income........and since the US moved it's one of it's main coffee imports from Guatemala to the Vietnam region....the coffee those folks relied on ain't worth a brass penny. Trouble is, the plantation owners ain't selling, so millions of hectares of arable land is privately owned and restricted from peoples use :eh: They'll hang onto the coffee (when the land could be used for alternative farming) because eventually the market will open up again......but in the meantime their former workers are living (or trying to live) below the poverty line.

That's only one of dozens of situations around the world tho'.....The great peanut growing fiasco in the 70's in Ethiopia.......millions of square miles of rainforest that is "owned" and logged by private companies, leaving the indiginous peoples no where to go. etc etc

Don't get me wrong......I know it's nothing new...it has [argueable] been going on in one form or another since the days of the Roman Empire (when the ceaser started awarding a plot of land in the Empire to soldiers after they had served 20 yrs) ......... but still, it's amazing that in this day and age that the practice is still going on.....all for the want of a coupla £'s.

And I can't see it gettin' any better in the future :eh:

Ms Ann Thrope

Oz said:
Don't get me wrong......I know it's nothing new...it has [argueable] been going on in one form or another since the days of the Roman Empire (when the ceaser started awarding a plot of land in the Empire to soldiers after they had served 20 yrs) ......... but still, it's amazing that in this day and age that the practice is still going on.....all for the want of a coupla £'s.

And I can't see it gettin' any better in the future :eh:

One way to get your money to work towards change is by buying Fairtrade products. Not as readily available in the States as they are in Europe (no surprise there), but still around for those willing to hunt for them. FAIRTRADE

Oz

Ms Ann Thrope said:
One way to get your money to work towards change is by buying Fairtrade products. Not as readily available in the States as they are in Europe (no surprise there), but still around for those willing to hunt for them. FAIRTRADE

Yup........the Oxfam (charity) shops have an excellent range of Fair Trade stuff :swing:

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
I think some things better and some things worse. Surely we will have made advances in the fields of medicine and other things like transportation, but I worry about how our morality will be in 100 years. At the rate it's declining now, in 100 years it will be horrific.

SexyBoo

tonks said:
QUESTION #7
If the idea of spending your whole life working just to get by continues to grow and get worse - then the world will be horribly worse 100 years from now. It is ridiculous that so many of us spend so much of our lives stressing out at work, in my case just to get by so I can have a roof over my head and food to eat, and never really get to enjoy life or the few extra things I'm able to buy. It used to be that both parents didn't have to work, that companies were loyal to their employees, there was time for bowling night, Lover's Lane, etc...
I'm sorry, I shouldn't have gone off on all of that because it just makes me angry and depressed. Sorry about the rant. :mope:

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
I see the world being a better place in 100 years, in the last 100 years we got through the industrial revelution, 2 world wars, and daytime talk shows.

what other challenges are left?

I think we will work less, that there will be a global goverment, more automation, letting us pursue relaxing hobbies......

till the aliens invade, of course

tonksy

i skipped questions 8 and 9 because they were lame...
QUESTION #10
What sex do you think has it easier in our culture? have you ever wished you were a member of the opposite sex?

i think that both have their ups and downs...i love being a woman...i would however like to be a man for just one day...see whatsit's like...you know...

Ms Ann Thrope

when I was really little I used to cry that I was a girl.... hated it....I'm used to it now, but still think I would have been happier as a male... :shrug: