The Final Word On Walmart!

Sharky

Wal-Mart used to sell products made in America.

The_More_You_Know.jpg

Professur

One feature the Walmart here has is ... any "Product of Quebec" gets a fleur de lys trim on the shelf to identify it as a local product. I'll sometimes buy that. But I've heard many times about how they leverage those low prices ... and , sorry, but that's not kismet.

They've managed to provide consumer goods cheaper than anyone ... but without any quality backing it up. They create no jobs in the local manufacturing market. And most of their purchasing dollars go trans-pacific.

I fight hard to ensure my tools are made in america. And I only ever have to buy them once, for all the abuse they take. 4 of my 8 cars have been GM products. 3 others Mitsubishi sold under the Dodge tag. All but one have been superior quality vehicles which still ran under their own power when the wrecker took them. My cupboard is filled with produce from the local farmer's market. Fresh outta the ground or off the tree.

Buying at Walmart (or any other high volume store) is short term thinking. Sure you seem to get more for your dollar. But it doesn't take long for the effects to show. Local employers loose their market to cheap imports. They lay off employees. They have less money to spend, and buy cheap, encourage the trend. And instead of a TV that lasts 20 years, your half price special only lasts five. But, hey, you can upgrade to a bigger one now. Isn't it nice of them to help you out that way????

Decades back, cars lasted forever. The manufacturers came out with new cars that didn't last half as long, and everyone complained. Then their marketing troops stepped in and got people on the bandwagon for getting a new car ... before the old one gave out. Yeah, yeah. A nice shiny new car. That'll show the neighbours, won't it??? Then they offered an even better deal. Don't even buy it. Just buy the years that you'll keep it for. Long term lease. Great idea. Now you're locked into buying another, and another, and another. It's cheaper than the buyout at the end of the lease anyhow, right???

That's what Walmart is doing to everything. Short terming. But, hey, people like that, don't they? After all, they've short termed everything from marriage and parenting to politics. Why not short term the environment, the economy, and the future.

2minkey

bootlicker
That's what Walmart is doing to everything. Short terming. But, hey, people like that, don't they? After all, they've short termed everything from marriage and parenting to politics. Why not short term the environment, the economy, and the future.

the unfortunate truth.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
the unfortunate truth.

OMG...We agree on something! :eek2: ;)

FTR...I buy quality. Sure...I'll spend more than the average shmoe, but my stuff lasts a hell of a lot longer. When I first joined up, I did buy cheap, though. I found out in a real hurry that cheap doesn't last...my first PCS cost me a dresser, a 'wall unit', and a couple of el-cheapo tables. Now I stick to real wood. My first set of couches lasted only 4 years...kids and vinyl don't mix. The stuff I have now has lasted longer than my first marriage. :shrug:

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Wal Mart is what is good about America. It allows lower income people to participate in the consurmerism that drives America. They can get more, for less.

Don't like it, don't shop there (ala Mr Proud)

...until they drive all other options out. THEN let's see how low them prices are. Rush didn't feed you that line...

My folks live in a small town where every other option has been run out of business. Amazingly, their WalMart has *gasp* higher prices for the identical item than any other WalMart in the area. Still feel like saluting?

Shop where you want to. I most certainly do. But you better do it while you still have more than one choice. The day's acomin'.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Go to Kroger & spend $100. on "higher quality foods".

Go to Wallyworld & buy the same stuff. Oh, look, enough left over to buy a kiddie pool.

Just don't expect anything fresh from the meat department. Also, if your recipe calls for one pound of hamburger meat you can bet your sweet ass that is exactly what you will get at WalMart...1.00 pounds OR 2.25 pounds. Want a little extra meat for the tacos? You're stuck buying over twice what you need, while I go to the local and find a pack with 1.34 pounds or 1.28 or whatever I like. Won't happen with MassMart though...cuts into the profit margin donchaknow.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
I do most of my shopping at AAFES, or the commissary. I do venture out to Walmart for fishing hooks when the BX doesn't have the size off-sets I like, though. Thats it from me at Wally world.

Professur

Just don't expect anything fresh from the meat department. Also, if your recipe calls for one pound of hamburger meat you can bet your sweet ass that is exactly what you will get at WalMart...1.00 pounds OR 2.25 pounds. Want a little extra meat for the tacos? You're stuck buying over twice what you need, while I go to the local and find a pack with 1.34 pounds or 1.28 or whatever I like. Won't happen with MassMart though...cuts into the profit margin donchaknow.

My local supermarket has a butcher on staff. If I want a particular cut ... I ask for it ... and get it. This cut of meat has too much fat on it ... he trims it to what I want. I want 2 lbs of beef and 2 lbs of pork ground together? No problem. This same store will slice fresh cheese, cold cuts, and pretty much anything I want .... to order. Packaged slices are too thin (or too thick)? How thick your like, Sir?

And it's not just here where you can get that. I noticed the same services availible at the Publix where HomeLAN got a phonecall from the manager within minutes of his order of catfish arriving at the store.

markjs

Banned
Hell you can get pretty much anything like that in the meat department here at Safeway. The only thing is their bakery is god-awful. For that we go to QFC (I believe QFC is what you all call Kroger, as it has Kroger brand stuff as the store brand). But for that matter QFC (which stands for quality food centers), has it's own butcher as well, but the meat isn't near as good as Safeway's.

BlurOfSerenity

i think walmart is stupid, but i do shop there. i shop at target when i can (i have huge target loyalty, and have worked there twice), but walmart does have a larger selection of things, and, yes, for cheaper. their food is crazy cheap. as much as i hate a lot of the things walmart stands for, their prices are amazing.

the larger issue is that the cost of living is more than many people earn. in a way, the problems that walmart has are just a side effect of this.

interestingly, my mom was talking to someone who had seen a walmart come to be in a town in germany. she asked the person if that was an upsetting thing to have happen, but the person said no, having the walmart was a good thing. with the kinds of jobs they have over there, there's not a lot of room for advancement, but with walmart, there's a corporate ladder to be climbed, and that is a welcomed opportunity.

BeardofPants

Every supermarket in around here comes with butcher and deli-hand staff, so you can always order exactly the amount you need.

Incidentally, this ignorant tourist was in the states recently, and I was shopping in Walgreen for sun block (got badly sunburned). Anyways, cos both me and partner didn't know nuffink about yer supers hierarchy, we wondered aloud if Walgreen was the same as Walmart, so I asked the cashier, and he looked SO insulted. :lol:

tonksy

It's a long way to Walmart from here. We are supposed to be getting a Super-Target up the road. They've been building it for about a year now. Rob and I are uncertain as to how they have enough room to make it a Super but I have heard tale of it being 2 stories. We'll see.

Inkara1

Decades back, cars lasted forever. The manufacturers came out with new cars that didn't last half as long, and everyone complained. Then their marketing troops stepped in and got people on the bandwagon for getting a new car ... before the old one gave out. Yeah, yeah. A nice shiny new car. That'll show the neighbours, won't it??? Then they offered an even better deal. Don't even buy it. Just buy the years that you'll keep it for. Long term lease. Great idea. Now you're locked into buying another, and another, and another. It's cheaper than the buyout at the end of the lease anyhow, right???

Interestingly enough... classis cars, much as I love them, were actually fairly shitty quality. A lot of late-1950s vehicles had electrical problems and tended to flood the trunk in a minor rainstorm even if the car was fresh from the factory. It was rare for a car to go past 100,000 miles without a rebuild, and it was rare for a car to live long enough to get to 100,000 miles without rust holes behind the wheel wells or other such places. Nowadays, cars regularly go to 150,000 miles, often more, with minimal maintenance. The 1981 Honda had just over 100K miles on it and the front brake calipers were sticking (and giving 5,000 miles to a set of pads), and the clutch had to be replaced. The 2000 Dodge Neon has 123K or so and the clutch is showing no signs of letting up and the brakes work great.

markjs

Banned
A 71 Dart with a slant six properly maintained would easily run for 300 grand. As for the rusting out part I don't have access to it but I know I read a study that indicated the opposite, saying that newer cars rust out quicker, particularly foreign ones. I'll grant you that engine design is better now than it was then, but our culture drives a lot more now than it did back then, a lot more commuting a lot more general driving. When it comes to commuting those are "easy" miles, If I drove a freeway from here to Seattle everyday and did no other driving I might well get 500K miles out of it, but the same car used to deliver pizzas in Seattle, wouln't likely last 150K if that.

Inkara1

...until they drive all other options out. THEN let's see how low them prices are. Rush didn't feed you that line...

My folks live in a small town where every other option has been run out of business. Amazingly, their WalMart has *gasp* higher prices for the identical item than any other WalMart in the area. Still feel like saluting?

Shop where you want to. I most certainly do. But you better do it while you still have more than one choice. The day's acomin'.

Some food for thought...

Wal-Mart upened up here in Paso Robles in October 1994. At that time, many people were quoting your same line, about killing the competition in the town. At that time, downtown Paso Robles had about as many vacancies as businesses, and most of the downtown businesses were antique stores. But now, downtown is vibrant, with a variety of restaurants, specialty stores, a movie theater, etc. The other grocery stores in town are doing just fine as well. Downtown Paso Robles is much better off with Wal-Mart in town than without it. So, it can be done.

Why did downtown survive when so many others have died off? Simple... work smarter. You won't be able to beat Wal-Mart on price, so beat Wal-Mart in other areas. Local businesses can provide salespeople that know what they are selling, that can help the customers get the best experiences with the products, etc. For the love of God, stay open past 5 so people getting off work can shop at your store.

markjs

Banned

Interesting. There are a couple of Walmarts in our area and the ones in the affluent areas are much more expensive than the "ghetto" Walmart.

Inkara1

A 71 Dart with a slant six properly maintained would easily run for 300 grand. As for the rusting out part I don't have access to it but I know I read a study that indicated the opposite, saying that newer cars rust out quicker, particularly foreign ones. I'll grant you that engine design is better now than it was then, but our culture drives a lot more now than it did back then, a lot more commuting a lot more general driving. When it comes to commuting those are "easy" miles, If I drove a freeway from here to Seattle everyday and did no other driving I might well get 500K miles out of it, but the same car used to deliver pizzas in Seattle, wouln't likely last 150K if that.

Not many "easy miles" here. We have these things on our freeways known as "hills" and "short, steep on-ramps" on our freeways.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member

We don't buy meat or produce there. In fact, as I've already said, it's seldom our first stop. We buy our meat at a butcher & our produce (what I don't grow) is bought at a variety of places (never WalMart).

I've never liked mom & pop shops...selection & price always suck. The cure for WalMart is customer service or some other intangible. The market will allow corrections.

markjs

Banned
A funny story:

I went to Kmart to buy some Craftsman tools and when I went back to the rack it advertized my 137 piece mechanics set as being $99.99. So I go up to the front to pay for it (and I was with someone who drove me and they were in a major hurry) and they charge me almost $150. When I call it to their attention they tell me I have to go to the customer service desk. Well the customer service desk tells me that the sale that priced the set at $99.99 is over, so I tell them that's bullshit because it still says on the shelf that it's $99.99. So they went back to check (as if I'd lie about that) and sure enough the sale price was still posted. So she says to me, "Well I can make an ecxeption just this one time only and refund the difference to you." And I'm like getting really pissed now because my friend is waiting and it's been a LONG time by now, so I just go

"whatever" and then when I ask for cash back (like they would have had no problem giving me at walmart), she says,

"Oh we can't do that we'll have to credit your card back." It's a debit card and getting credited back takes a few days. So I am really torqued by this time and I say,

"This is exactly why Walmart is kicking your ass!" This bitch went three shades of purple and chewed me up one side and down the other about how Walmart is doing no such thing (which is funny because Kmarts locally are closing in rapid succession), and then she asks me,

"Does Walmart stand behind their products?" and I am like,

"I've never had any problem with returning anything at Walmart." Anyway, long story short I am glad I got Craftsman tools, so long as Kmart is around, which is likely to not be long, but I definately can see why Walmart is beating them like a redheaded stepchild.