The law of unintended consequences rears its ugly head -- AGAIN

jimpeel

It seems that there is this sorta zero-sum-gain thing which has attached itself to the alternative power market. Those who produce power are costing those who do not billions of dollars.

The PC thing to do, at the time of the writing of these laws on alternative power, was to force the power companies to purchase power from the producers at the same rates as they sell it to those who do not. The law was written with the best of intentions.

However, the road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Now, it seems, the power companies are reaching zero-sum-gain on profits that they would normally throw back into the improvement and maintenance of the grid. Everyone is using the grid but not necessarily paying for it. Those who are paying for it are not happy at all.

Ces't la vie

SOURCE

California Utilities Say Solar Raises Costs for Non-Users
By Christopher Martin & Mark Chediak - Dec 17, 2012 8:09 AM MT
Booming rooftop solar installations in California are bringing an unwelcome surprise to the homes and businesses that don’t have the devices: an extra $1.3 billion added to their annual bills.
Power companies in the biggest U.S. solar state are required to buy electricity from home solar generators at the same price they resell it to other customers, meaning utilities earn nothing to cover their fixed costs. The rules are short- sighted because eventually rates must be raised to make up the difference, according to Southern California Edison, which has joined with competitors to estimate potential losses.

Dec. 11 (Bloomberg) -- James Evans, senior analyst in solar and wind power at Bloomberg Industries, discusses the outlook for the renewable energy industry in 2013. He speaks with Manus Cranny on Bloomberg Television's "On the Move." (Source: Bloomberg)
As more homes and warehouses get covered in solar panels, higher rates imposed on traditional consumers risk a growing conflict between renewable-energy advocates and power companies that foresee a backlash in California and 42 other states with similar policies. The tension has also emerged in countries including Spain and Germany, where solar investments are curbing investment in the power grid.

“You get into a situation where you have a transmission and distribution system with nobody paying for it,” said Akbar Jazayeri, vice president of regulatory operations at Edison, a unit of Edison International (EIX) and California’s second-largest electric utility.

To deter losses as solar abounds, states typically set a cap on the amount of photovoltaic power utilities must buy under so-called net-metering policies. Those allow a meter to run backward during the hours a day when a home or business is selling the power to the utility. California’s limit is 5 percent of a utility’s aggregate peak load.
New Customers

About 20,000 customers of San Diego Gas & Electric had connected 146 megawatts of solar panels to its grid as of Nov. 1, accounting for 1.2 percent of its peak load. The company is adding 409 new net-metering customers a month, said Stephanie Donovan, a spokeswoman for the state’s third-largest utility.

<MORE>

Passing Costs

Southern California Edison will transfer about $400 million in annual costs to people without solar systems when the state hits the cap, David Song, a spokesman, said in an interview. PG&E Corp. (PCG)’s Pacific Gas & Electric, the state’s biggest utility, will pass on about $700 million a year, according to Denny Boyles, a spokesman, for a total of $1.3 billion from the three utilities.

That’s about 3.9 percent of the $33.5 billion spent on electricity in 2010 in California, based on the latest figures available from the U.S. Energy Department.

<MORE>

Solar Growth

Installations of U.S. residential and commercial solar systems totaled about 1,050 megawatts in the first three quarters of the year, according to the Solar Energy Industries Association, compared with about 1,100 for all of 2011.

<MORE>

Raising Caps

The growth is also driving efforts to raise net-metering caps. California revised the way it calculates its limit in May, effectively doubling to about 5 gigawatts the amount of solar energy that state utilities will eventually be required purchase.

<MORE>

Easing Stress

And solar developers say rooftop systems actually benefit the power grid by providing power during the hottest parts of the day. That eases stress on wires and transformers and helps utilities defer maintenance and upgrades, said Todd Pedersen, chief executive officer of Blackstone Group LP’s Vivint Inc., which installs residential solar.

<MORE>

German Backlash

People in other countries are protesting higher rates stemming from net-metering programs. In Germany, the world’s largest market, Chancellor Angela Merkel is facing a backlash against higher power bills related to renewable energy. Grid fees will boost household bills an average of 10 percent next year, according to industry analyst Verivox.

<MORE>

To contact the reporters on this story: Christopher Martin in New York at [email protected]; Mark Chediak in San Francisco at [email protected]
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Reed Landberg at [email protected]

2minkey

bootlicker
zero-sum-gain? that doesn't make much sense. one term contradicts the other. you mean zero-sum game? your broader point is that regulation makes for shitty zero-sum games out of industries? agreed. until you get to the point of wacky shit like derivatives. somebody needs to cut off the coke parties in those corners.

jimpeel

No, I said zero-sum-gain. It is also known as "A zero-sum game" in gaming theory; but in monetary issues it is no game and there is no gain. (-1 + 1 = 0)

Either is correct.

In this case, as the one guy said “You get into a situation where you have a transmission and distribution system with nobody paying for it.”

The companies have to pay out as much as they charge for electricity. Their gain is a sum of zero.

If zero-sum-game pleases you I shall use it in the future.

jimpeel

your broader point is that regulation makes for shitty zero-sum games out of industries? agreed. until you get to the point of wacky shit like derivatives. somebody needs to cut off the coke parties in those corners.

We have consensus.

2minkey

bootlicker
it's an asshole drug, mostly. though i do know some that have used it creatively... for a spell... but now are pretty much fucked has-beens. if alive and not arrested by police greasy and naked. or similar show of dignity.

suspect winky is getting nostalgic here.

240px-Daisy_Dukes.jpg

catocom

meh, I'll stick with the legal scripts the doc gave me....
zanax and loritab
I have to do ma best to stay with the prescribed amounts though.
Thank goodness for the loritab 'bount now. I have a tooth ache, and dread going to the dentist.
I'll have to go soon though anyway.

2minkey

bootlicker
so did they switch you from vicodin? isn't the painkiller you take pretty much the same, just with a lowered acetaminophen level relative to the opiate?

catocom

actually, that was just when I got the B type.
I got the C type in my 20's working on a nasty dental lab case.
Cleaning an old denture without the proper protection.

catocom

no no f-ing
My job was running a highspeed lathe mostly, and it being
my dad's lab ....playing gopher...
anyway, this case comes in one day (a remake), and it had this plaque
all over the teeth around the gum-line.
So he tells me to use the lather and grind/clean it up some.
Well, I didn't wear a mask, and didn't have the vacuum turned on,
and the created a dust (basically weaponizing it), which I inhaled.
By the next day I was turning yellow.