The law of unintended consequences rears its ugly head -- AGAIN

catocom

yup. it was pretty bad.

I tell ya though, you really wouldn't want to know about some of the jobs I've have in the past.
e.g. I decided when I was 16 that I so disliked the school (mostly the teachers)
that if I had to dig ditch the rest of my working life, I wasn't going back to that school.
The was actually one of the worst jobs I could think of. I was naive.
The first job I got was cleaning out animal pins for a farm animal laboratory with a high pressure hose.
I worked there for about 6 months, then I moved (I guess youd call it ) up, to working
on ther loading docks at a chicken plant.
One thing I was taught and always did though was to do my best.
I was taught if a job is worth doing, it's worth doing well, and give it all you have.
I eventually got into the steel industry, and moved up to runing a patern torch.
That lead me to get me foot in the door at a machine shop.
I eventually became Manager of that, growing it to a 10 man shop,
and making the owner his first net million.
Then I have my wreak a few years after that (I trans formed 2 other small shops in between that though)
and....
13 years later here I and doing my best to try to get back into the regular work force.
Thingd were starting to work under the new Bush plan, but Obama has opened the
gap back up to make it less worth while to try to just the gap.
I'm still plugging away at it though, and whaiting for the day when I might be about to transform completely .

catocom

Oh, I did go back and get my GED, and small engine Tech cert. in between some of that.
I've thought about taking the MS a1 cert, and maybe some others, but the market is so
volitale with win 8, I'm still looking at options.
I may go for unix/linux network cert instead.

2minkey

bootlicker
suspect it's the long litany of difficult but lower-paying jobs, which would drive mister capitalist superstar into depression.

Winky

after all that and then too end up with a horrific viral disease that destroys the liver?
2r3h1j5.jpg

2minkey

bootlicker
well, sometimes you luck out and get the right opportunity. sometimes you don't. the pattern speaks for itself. :blank:

catocom

after all that and then too end up with a horrific viral disease that destroys the liver?
2r3h1j5.jpg
my liver is fine.
I've lived with the condition 20 years, I just can't drink the spirits.
I'd much rather have what I've got than something like diabetes or aides or something,.
even more than herpes or some other std,,,
Meh, I'm in good shape relatively speaking.

2minkey

bootlicker
um VERY relatively speaking. like, relative to most people in the cooler downstairs at the morgue. now tell me if i'm wrong but you sound like a wreck to me with the hep(s) and injuries from 'the accident.' weren't you on SS disability for years?

catocom

I had the hep long before the wreck
I had the wreak on Oct 4 1999, and got my SSI to finally go through in 2003.
If it hadn't been for my mom coming from a long line of accountants,
I'd had to have had to hire someone to pay all the different bills when I finally
got my settlement..

Along the lines of my health throughout my lifetime.....
I can count on more than on hand, times I should have bitten the dust.
Yep I'm a walking miracle.

catocom

On a side note....
about a week ago a friend on mine was running his dad's hardware store while
the dad was having back surgery.
He was helping a customer, and started feeling weird, and then fell out.
His brother, and nephew that live next door to the store were alerted
and began CPR.
He was basically dead for 45 mins., and they used some kind on new
procedure on him where the lower the body temperature.....
I talked with him yesterday, and he said the only think he could tell different
was that he couldn't spell good any more.
He only has 25% of his heart left working.
Now that to me is a miracle.

catocom

yeah, he was better at it than I.
He still plays 'world of warcraft' all the time. He just doesn't
chat as much.

2minkey

bootlicker
how is it that injury and malady just seem to follow some folks - certain classes of folks - around? not even necessarily those that work(ed) in jobs where one could easily become injured.

my friend has five acres out in the hinterlands south of here. says a good chunk of the people out there are missing fingers and/or otherwise fucked up, disabled, et cetera. but hey at least they get their checks... and prescriptions...

catocom

well, when I applied they went by what your 'primary' field was/is.
Mine at the time was machining, which required standing for possibly 8 hours or more, and some heavy lifting.
Now if I worked like in a post office do sorting or something, or a greeter at wall-mart.
I dunno if I'd have gotten it then.
A lot depends on the judge you get.
My friend that I mention previously just got turned down.
His lawyer with probably re-apply several more times before he gets to see a judge.
Like you I hear about people getting it for nearly no reason, but I don't know how they do it.

Winky

When my kid got his first case last summer when he was doing his Federal District Court Administrative Judge thingie...
A Social Security disability appeal came to him, the person advising him said: In the eight years I've been doing this guess how many of these SS appeals I've ruled in favor of the person wanting their disability? Needless to say, he ruled against the lil sucker heh heh

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
how is it that injury and malady just seem to follow some folks - certain classes of folks - around? not even necessarily those that work(ed) in jobs where one could easily become injured.

my friend has five acres out in the hinterlands south of here. says a good chunk of the people out there are missing fingers and/or otherwise fucked up, disabled, et cetera. but hey at least they get their checks... and prescriptions...

My experience is similar. Engineers are the worst, followed by an assortment of other white collar middle management folks. I've never seen such a bunch of pussies in my life. "I'd like to help, but I've got a bad back", "my hips are bad,", "my knees are blown out". Well, shit, Sherlock, perhaps if you'd get off your ass & use your muscles, they might get better. The more sitting, the worse the condition.

On the other hand, the real blue collar folks (especially farmers) get off their ass & do shit from dawn to dusk, even with those missing fingers/hands/feet/whatever. Instead of whining about it hurting, they "just do it".

The ones that cut their fingertip & go for disability are the modern age slackers.

When my kid got his first case last summer when he was doing his Federal District Court Administrative Judge thingie...
A Social Security disability appeal came to him, the person advising him said: In the eight years I've been doing this guess how many of these SS appeals I've ruled in favor of the person wanting their disability? Needless to say, he ruled against the lil sucker heh heh

I can think of two people that fit the need category who've beed denied, repeatedly. One has such brittle bones due to her cancer treatment that she'll break a rib twisting to look at something. She can shake her fingers out of joint, lierally. She works for a living while awaiting a judge who isn't a fuck head. The other one has his chest closed up by his chest muscles & skin taken from his hip because the scar tissue from his heart attack (first at 38, then others) won't allow the bones to come together. He's living off his savings.

However, I know several She'Kishas who have bad feet or are too fat & collect. What's wrong with the system?