The muffler on my car

Professur

Nixy .... Tires aren't all that's involved in stopping a car. In fact, a set of tires that are total crap on one car can be just what's wanted on another. I've done it. A car with a stiff suspension will brake better with a tire with a softer sidewall. A car with a soft ride will perform better with a stiffer wall. Then there's tread pattern, number of belts, even tire pressure. You'd be horrified to know just how big a difference one pound of air can make. Then there's the suspension geometry, brake pad material, etc. Not to mention driver ability.

Now, given the dozens of different models that Goodyear makes, the thousands of different combinations of tread, sidewall, and rubber, and the millions of combinations including different cars .... I think you might just be talking out the top of your head. I've had Goodyear rubber on three different cars (at least) and never had a complaint. Michelin on others. Toyo and Bridgestone too.

That's not to say that certain tire combinations don't work. The stock tires from the Mirage were Michelins, and while they were ok in dry weather, in wet or snow, they were awful. Changed them out for another model of Michelins and they were as good as any.

This is why we've now got consumer reports to benefit from. If you pick a car model and tire model ... odds are someone else has already tried it, and if it didn't work ... complained to someone else.

Now, Altron's said that he's replacing with the same model and size, which means that if he's happy with how his car performs now... he'll probably like it still.

chcr

Too cute for words
So, the dude took a look at it last night.

Verdict -
Front sway bar bushings are either fixed or replaced.
Tires are gonna be replaced later today.
One of the front headlights had moisture in it, so it got replaced.

Brakes and shocks are fine. Not great, but within spec.

Gonna have him take a look at the hoses and spark plug wires and see how they are.

$400.

THE LAND YACHT REMAINS ON THE ROAD

Cool. Not too bad.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Even from 40 to 0 in 2 feet is a pretty damn good braking distance, I dare to say impossible for even the most advanced cars.

I didn't STOP in 2 feet, I slide 2 feet beyond where I was trying to stop (I had already allowed myself more stopping distance than in dry weather...but the car decided to slide an extra 2 feet beyond that).

chcr

Too cute for words
My sliding about 2 feet while trying to stop at a stop sign (I wasn't going too fast, I was going below 50km/hr, probably below 40 and the road was straight) says otherwise.

Sorry Nixy, that has nothing at all to do with tire brand and everything to do with tread design and rubber compound. Not to mention inflation pressure, ABS, etc., etc., etc.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Now, Altron's said that he's replacing with the same model and size, which means that if he's happy with how his car performs now... he'll probably like it still.

He's not happy with how his car performs now though. He knows the tires are wore but does he really know how much of the negative things are simply due to wear and how much are due to the actual tire? I'm not saying they're not gonna be fine but what is he basing it on? The links he posted? The tires he's getting/got are 8th and are lagging behind the top 6 in all the things he's expressed concern with and although I haven't looked up the prices the reviews for the tire in 3rd place express how impressed the people are with the price compared to other comparable alternatives. Although I may have gone a bit overboard with my mom's tires and the issues I had with them it shows that new tires do NOT solve all problems and going with something because he has it now and is happy with them in many areas doesn't mean his concerns are all going to be addressed, those issues may not only be due to wear and new tires identical to what he has MAY not fix them.

Altron

Actually, I ended up with Dayton Quadra SE white stripe 235/75R15s.

They're nice. I haven't tried them in the dry yet, but they're a helluva lot better than the old ones were in the rain. Tonight was the most rain I've ever driven in, and I didn't have any problems.

There does seem to be a little blue gunk on some of the stripes.

I'm pretty happy with them. The tread is amazing. There's like four times as much of it.

I just gotta clean off the blue stuff and get something on there to keep 'em clean, it's amazing how much nicer the car looks with white stripes instead of grey stripes. I want the sidewalls to be SHINY :D

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Sorry Nixy, that has nothing at all to do with tire brand and everything to do with tread design and rubber compound. Not to mention inflation pressure, ABS, etc., etc., etc.

The pressure is checked regularly, she doesn't have ABS and even if she did it wouldn't have kicked in, I didn't slam the breaks, I was trying to make a sensible stop not a sudden stop. Tread design and rubber compound DO have to do with the brand, that brand put those tires on the road and if the tread design and/or rubber compound are shit it's their fault.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Actually, I ended up with Dayton Quadra SE white stripe 235/75R15s.

They're nice. I haven't tried them in the dry yet, but they're a helluva lot better than the old ones were in the rain. Tonight was the most rain I've ever driven in, and I didn't have any problems.

There does seem to be a little blue gunk on some of the stripes.

I'm pretty happy with them. The tread is amazing. There's like four times as much of it.

I just gotta clean off the blue stuff and get something on there to keep 'em clean, it's amazing how much nicer the car looks with white stripes instead of grey stripes. I want the sidewalls to be SHINY :D

Those aren't on the list, I assume the guy recommended them? It's always good to take the advice of someone who does this kind of thing for a living.

The blue stuff is normal, it covers all of the stripes when the tires are new, when we got new tires on my Dad's truck they had it (my dad's truck is a 76 so we got the white stripes). If I remember correctly it came off pretty easily.

As far as keeping them shiny you can buy special tire cleaner. My brother brought me some home from work (he works are Canadian Tire) but I have yet to try it. I should do that though.

Altron

He bought them and put them on. I didn't find out what type they were until I picked up the car and paid him.

I'm happy with 'em.

I gotta look into a few noises, tho. I think one of the belts is squeaking, and there's a weird flapping sound coming from the bottom. The squeaking is just a simple belt dressing thing, it's happened before and a quick spray fixes it fine. The flapping sound just started, gotta see if something is loose.

Altron

You know what sucks? People who are in denial about fuzzy dice and white stripes.

The other day I saw a '02 or so Mazda SUV with white stripes and BIG fuzzy dice, and I was like "Oh no, you didn't."

Occasionally I see minivans with white stripes, and I'm like "You're giving me a bad name."

The fact is, any car that was designed after 1980 should NOT have white stripes or fuzzy dice.

Inkara1

You know what sucks? People who are in denial about fuzzy dice and white stripes.

The other day I saw a '02 or so Mazda SUV with white stripes and BIG fuzzy dice, and I was like "Oh no, you didn't."

Occasionally I see minivans with white stripes, and I'm like "You're giving me a bad name."

The fact is, any car that was designed after 1980 should NOT have white stripes or fuzzy dice.

Push 1980 back to 1965 or so for the fuzzy dice.

Nixy, I think the reason your mom's car's handling is so much worse than yours is because the Cavalier was at beat an average design when it was new in 1995, and it's rather crappy compared to today's cars. The Cobalt/Pursuit is a much better car in pretty much every aspect compared to the Cavalier/Sunfire.

Altron

I think they look fine on my car, and it was designed in 1977.

Why is that OK? The wood trim. It makes it look older. I've seen solid colored wagons, and they would look bad with fuzzy dice. The wood trim makes it OK.

A.B.Normal

The blue stuff is normal, it covers all of the stripes when the tires are new, when we got new tires on my Dad's truck they had it (my dad's truck is a 76 so we got the white stripes). If I remember correctly it came off pretty easily.

Comes off with warm water and a stifff brush ,most shops remove it before putting the tires on the car.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Push 1980 back to 1965 or so for the fuzzy dice.

Nixy, I think the reason your mom's car's handling is so much worse than yours is because the Cavalier was at beat an average design when it was new in 1995, and it's rather crappy compared to today's cars. The Cobalt/Pursuit is a much better car in pretty much every aspect compared to the Cavalier/Sunfire.

The cars are almost identical expect for the way they look apparently. Hers is a 2004.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Comes off with warm water and a stifff brush ,most shops remove it before putting the tires on the car.

My dad's cousin owned a tire shop and put them on free of charge (expect the wholesale cost of the tires) so we're not complaining :p

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I think they look fine on my car, and it was designed in 1977.

Why is that OK? The wood trim. It makes it look older. I've seen solid colored wagons, and they would look bad with fuzzy dice. The wood trim makes it OK.
I gotta agree with inky about the fuzzy dice. They look funny on 70s cars.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Completely different platforms.

No, not according to the people who work at the dealerships. Both of our cars have 2.2L ecotech engines...they completely revamped the workings of the Cavalier for 2004 and didn't make many if any changes for the Pursuit/Colbalt.