The press is starting to wake up and grow some balls

jimpeel

It seems that the recent pissing contest between the White House and FoxNEWS is starting to piss off the rest of the media outlets. They have decided to stand firm against an attempt by the White house to exclude FoxNEWS from the White House pool.

The White House has said they would be offering Kenneth Feinberg for a round robin interview with the pool but that FoxNEWS would be excluded. The rest of the pool said that if Fox was not included then they would not be participating in the interview either.

Good for them.

VIDEO LINK

SOURCE

Obama Escalates Feud: Administration Attempts to Exclude Fox News from White House Pool

October 22, 2009 - 21:09 ET

Just when you thought the White House couldn't possibly do anything to make their bizarre feud with the Fox News Channel an even larger spectacle - the administration manages to take it to another level.

Over the past two weeks, three White House officials have publicly criticized the Fox News Channel by denigrating its status as a news outlet - White House Communications Director Anita Dunn, Senior Advisor David Axelrod and Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel. And even the president himself commented on his opinion of Fox News. However, that pales in comparison to the latest petty stunt.

On the Oct. 22 broadcast of Fox News Channel's "Special Report," host Bret Baier revealed a White House pool announcement was offering Kenneth Feinberg, the "Special Master for Compensation," better known as the White House "pay czar" for interviews - all except for one network - Fox News.

"Today there was an announcement by the administration," Baier said. "They were putting out the pay czar, Kenneth Feinberg, as we showed you earlier for the White House pool - that Feinberg would be doing a round-robin interviews with the five-network pool that covers the White House - basically shares the costs and the daily coverage duties of covering the president. Fox News has been a member since 1997."

The press pool is comprised of the five major TV news organizations - CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox News. However, according to Baier, the other members declined to participate unless Fox News was included.

"When they put out that message, they specified that all members of the pool were welcome except Fox News," Baier said. "Well the other members of the TV pool said, ‘Well we're not going to do the interview unless Fox News is included."

Baier also pointed out how disproportionate the White House press pool's access to the president has been. According to the "Special Report" host, NBC has conducted 12 interviews, CBS with 11 interviews, ABC conducting nine interviews and CNN with seven interviews. But Fox News - a total of two interviews.

It is ridiculous for the administration to block Fox, but don't even try and use that bogus argument that Fox isn't all about conservative spin. All the same they shouldn't have been blocked. Thing is though back during the Bush administration, agencies who didn't put out white house approved news got snubbed. This is NOTHING NEW!!!

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
It is ridiculous for the administration to block Fox, but don't even try and use that bogus argument that Fox isn't all about conservative spin. All the same they shouldn't have been blocked. Thing is though back during the Bush administration, agencies who didn't put out white house approved news got snubbed. This is NOTHING NEW!!!

Nixon started it.

and it is nothing new, but as much as I think fox is a bunch morons, they should be included.

nothing says Obama has to be nice to them in the interviews though.

Though if you get access to the president, you should also carry his state of the union address. It's a 2 way street.

Professur

It's all just spin. If you think the media wouldn't just at the change to knock Fox, or any other competitor out, .....

They just don't want to take the risk of looking leashed.

And if you think Fox isn't profiting from this .....

catocom

seems there are several moving their careers from the others to fox though.
That's not spin, that's disgruntled.

jimpeel

Its not that they don't want to look like they are leashed, they want to demonstrate solidarity because they know the same thing could happen to them. The "Fourth Estate" fears dictators too.

Funny thing that an enemies list was so dastardly under Nixon, a Republican, yet so acceptable under Obama, a Democrat. Labels count.

spike

Its not that they don't want to look like they are leashed, they want to demonstrate solidarity because they know the same thing could happen to them.

Could you please give a reliable source to back up that claim? Some thing that shows each news outlet, what they did, and why they did it?

You can't just make up things.

The "Fourth Estate" fears dictators too.

I like the fear mongering. Obama doesn't want to talk to a right wing propaganda machine masquerading as a news outlet. Oh noez dictator! :laugh:

Funny thing that an enemies list was so dastardly under Nixon, a Republican, yet so acceptable under Obama, a Democrat. Labels count.

I think that's because Nixon's thing was completely different. The label doesn't matter, the substance was completely different.

jimpeel

Could you please give a reliable source to back up that claim? Some thing that shows each news outlet, what they did, and why they did it?

That was my supposition on what they are thinking and why they are acting. There is no magical Internet brain web to delve into the thoughts of others.

I like the fear mongering. Obama doesn't want to talk to a right wing propaganda machine masquerading as a news outlet. Oh noez dictator! :laugh:

All dictators start out by controlling the willing press and suppressing the opposition press. Learn from history or repeat it.

I think that's because Nixon's thing was completely different. The label doesn't matter, the substance was completely different.

An enemies list is an enemies list regardless of the circumstances. How do you feel about the "no fly" list? That is an enemies list regardless of what they choose to call it. The willing press is not on the White House media enemies list and they don't want to get on it either. That's why they are the willing press.

spike

That was my supposition on what they are thinking and why they are acting. There is no magical Internet brain web to delve into the thoughts of others.

Oh, you stated it like a fact. Not a guess.

All dictators start out by controlling the willing press and suppressing the opposition press. Learn from history or repeat it.

Obama is not controlling the press. Bush certianly made more of an effort in that area.

An enemies list is an enemies list regardless of the circumstances.

No, actually if you read the article you'll see the vast differences.

Cerise

The other networks told the White House if Foxnews is not allowed in, none of them would participate. The WH capitulated and allowed Major Garrett to do an interview:

The Obama administration on Thursday tried to make "pay czar" Kenneth Feinberg available for interviews to every member of the White House pool except Fox News. The pool is the five-network rotation that for decades has shared the costs and duties of daily coverage of the presidency.

But the Washington bureau chiefs of the five TV networks consulted and decided that none of their reporters would interview Feinberg unless Fox News was included.

The administration relented, making Feinberg available for all five pool members and Bloomberg TV.

Welll.....obama is masquerading as a president. :shrug:

NixonobamaHyp-1-4.jpg

spike

The other networks told the White House if Foxnews is not allowed in, none of them would participate. The WH capitulated and allowed Major Garrett to do an interview:

You typed completely unrelated sentences than what i asked for. Here, I'll post it again.

"Could you please give a reliable source to back up that claim? Some thing that shows each news outlet, what they did, and why they did it?"

This was in response to Jim's guess on motivations that he portrayed as fact. He has since admitted he was guessing. So I think it's settled.

Welll.....obama is masquerading as a president.

He is the president. Elected in a landslide.

What do these two presidents have in common?

Not much.

Bush had a lot in common with Nixon though.

Winky

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns,
why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin

spike

lol, the irony.

Nobody cares if you want to control the conversation. Free speech sux doesn't it? :laugh3:

I have no interest in controlling the conversation like you do. I just pointed out that Cerise attempted to respond to a quote of mine but her response had nothing to do with the quote.

It's just rational. Sorry if that offends you :laugh:

Cerise

You typed completely unrelated sentences than what i asked for. Here, I'll post it again.

"Could you please give a reliable source to back up that claim? Some thing that shows each news outlet, what they did, and why they did it?"

Are you asking for the name of each of the network's Washington bureau chiefs, and their quoted response? Unless they come forward and publicly state their positions, you'll have to rely on the summarized "the Washington bureau chiefs of the five TV networks...."

spike

No, I was asking Jim to back up his statement. "Its not that they don't want to look like they are leashed, they want to demonstrate solidarity because they know the same thing could happen to them."

To which I responded: "Could you please give a reliable source to back up that claim? Some thing that shows each news outlet, what they did, and why they did it?"

It turns out he was guessing.

Cerise

Anytime there are common responsibilities and interests amongst people there is solidarity. :shrug: