The Racism of "Diversity"

Ardsgaine

The Racism of "Diversity"

By Peter Schwartz

Peter Schwartz said:
President Bush faces an ideal opportunity to take a principled position on the issue of racial "diversity." As his administration ponders whether to support the legal challenge, now before the Supreme Court, to the University of Michigan's affirmative action policies, he should go further and raise a moral challenge to the entire notion of "diversity." Instead of timidly wavering on this question, in fear of being smeared by Democrats as racist, President Bush should rise to the occasion by categorically repudiating racism—and condemning "diversity" as its crudest manifestation.

It is now widely accepted that "diversity" is an appropriate goal for society. But what does this dictum actually mean? Racial integration is a valid objective, but that is something very different from what the advocates of "diversity" seek. According to its proponents, we need "diversity" in order to be exposed to new perspectives on life. We supposedly gain "enrichment from the differences in viewpoint of minorities," as the MIT Faculty Newsletter puts it. "It is the only way to prepare students to live and work effectively in our diverse democracy and in the global economy," says the president of the University of Michigan. Minorities should be given preferential treatment, the university's vice president says, because "learning in a diverse environment benefits all students, minority and majority alike."

These circumlocutions translate simply into this: one's race determines the content of one's mind. They imply that people have worthwhile views to express because of their ethnicity, and that "diversity" enables us to encounter "black ideas," "Hispanic ideas," etc. What could be more repulsively racist than that? This is exactly the premise held by the South's slave-owners and by the Nazis' Storm Troopers. They too believed that an individual's thoughts and actions are determined by his racial heritage.

Whether a given race receives special rewards or special punishments is immaterial. The essence of racism is the idea that the individual is meaningless and that membership in the collective—the race—is the source of his identity and value. To the racist, the individual's moral and intellectual character is the product, not of his own choices, but of the genes he shares with all others of his race. To the racist, the particular members of a given race are interchangeable.

The advocates of "diversity" similarly believe that colleges must admit not individuals, but "representatives" of various races. They believe that those representatives have certain ideas innately imprinted on their minds, and that giving preferences to minority races creates a "diversity" of viewpoints on campus. They have the quota-mentality, which holds that in judging someone, the salient fact is the racial collective to which he belongs.

This philosophy is why racial division is growing at our colleges. The segregated dormitories, the segregated cafeterias, the segregated fraternities—these all exist, not in spite of the commitment to "diversity," but because of it. The overriding message of "diversity," transmitted by the policies of a school's administration and by the teachings of a school's professors, is that the individual is defined by his race. What, then, is a more loyal adherence to that message than the desire to associate with members of one's own race and to regard others as belonging to an alien tribe?

If racism is to be rejected, it is the premise of individualism, including individual free will, that must be upheld. There is no way to bring about racial integration except by completely disregarding color. There is no benefit in being exposed to the thoughts of a black person as opposed to a white person; there is a benefit only in interacting with individuals, of any race, who have rational viewpoints to offer.

"Diversity," in any realm, has no value in and of itself. Investors can be urged to diversify their holdings—but for the sake of minimizing their financial risk, not for the sake of "diversity" as such. To maintain that "diversity" per se is desirable—that "too much" of one thing is objectionable—is ludicrous. Does unimpaired health need to be "diversified" with bouts of illness? Or knowledge with ignorance? Or sanity with lunacy?

The value of a racially integrated student body or work force lies entirely in the individualism this implies. A racially integrated group implies that skin color is irrelevant in judging human beings. It implies that those who chose the students or the workers based their evaluations only on that which reflects upon the individual: merit. But that is not what the advocates of "diversity" want. They sneer at the principle of "color-blindness." Whether the issue is being admitted to college or getting a job at a corporation or being cast as an actor on TV shows, the "diversity" supporters want such decisions to be made exactly the way that the vilest of racists make them: by bloodline. They insist that whatever is a result of your own choices—your ideas, your character, your accomplishments—is to be dismissed, while that which is outside your control—the accident of skin color—is to define your life. Their fundamental goal is to "diversify"—and thus to undercut—the standard of individual achievement with the non-standard of race.

As a result of their efforts, the creed of "diversity" is metastasizing. There are now demands for "linguistic diversity," under which English teachers grant equal validity to ungrammatical writing—for "diversity" in beauty pageants, under which the unattractive are not discriminated against—for "diversity" in oratory contests, under which mutes are not excluded. These egalitarian crusaders for "diversity" seek to wipe out a standard of value as such. They want to negate genuine, life-serving values by claiming that non-values must be given equal status.

Is this the philosophy that will "prepare students to live and work effectively"?

Racial "diversity" is a doctrine that splits people into ethnic tribes, which then battle one another for special favors. If President Bush is eager to demonstrate his disagreement with the racist views of a Strom Thurmond, let him stand up and denounce all forms of racism—particularly, the one that underlies "diversity."

Mr. Schwartz, editor and contributing author of Return of the Primitive: The Anti-Industrial Revolution by Ayn Rand, is chairman of the board of directors of the Ayn Rand Institute in Irvine, Calif. The Institute promotes the philosophy of Ayn Rand, author of Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead.

flavio

Banned
Ardsgaine said:
These circumlocutions translate simply into this: one's race determines the content of one's mind. They imply that people have worthwhile views to express because of their ethnicity, and that "diversity" enables us to encounter "black ideas," "Hispanic ideas," etc. What could be more repulsively racist than that? This is exactly the premise held by the South's slave-owners and by the Nazis' Storm Troopers. They too believed that an individual's thoughts and actions are determined by his racial heritage.

Racist? The idea is to recognize the value of viewpoints stemming from different cultures. Is that so hard to understand?

Yeah, that's just what the Nazi's did. :rolleyes:

Ardsgaine

flavio said:
Racist? The idea is to recognize the value of viewpoints stemming from different cultures. Is that so hard to understand?

Is it hard to understand that the belief that your culture determines your viewpoint is racist? That is precisely what the Nazis believed-- which is all that the article says, btw. It doesn't say anything about what the Nazis did with their belief. What modern day racists are doing with theirs is Balkanizing the population of the US, and setting the stage for racial strife.

flavio

Banned
Ardsgaine said:
Is it hard to understand that the belief that your culture determines your viewpoint is racist?

Yep, different cultures have a different way of doing things. You can see that just from the difference between a cattle rancher in Wyoming and someone who's grown up in New York city. It's not racist.

I fail to see the similarities between encouraging different viewpoints and Nazi's.

Squiggy

ThunderDick
:confuse3: racism occurs when one group uses those differences to oppress the other....and its race based bias. I don't understand the New york-Wyoming application.

flavio

Banned
I was making an example how even different cultures in the U.S. will have different viewpoints. in response to:

Is it hard to understand that the belief that your culture determines your viewpoint is racist?

So, by his logic if I think the guy in Wyoming will have different views on the world then someone raised in NYC I am being a racist.

Squiggy

ThunderDick
I often hesitate to respond to much of what is written in the Real World forum because I always manage to see both arguments. Because of that, I usually manage to talk myself out of a reply because I know the argument to it. The problem I see is that so many extremely deep subjects are handled as though they are a topical or surface problem when in fact they are systemic. i.e. The example Ards used (in another thread) regarding drug laws... While I don't believe that our current drug laws are very effective, I would have to recognize that total deregulation could and probably would spawn an ever growing culture of useless human beings who would be unable to support themselves without turning to crimes against others. Thus, we need to have something in place to prevent that. Sure, we could say "let it happen then prosecute them for their crimes." But as the probability went up that you or a loved one would become a victim, your view would likely change.
I consider myself left wing and make no apologies for that. I think the only thing that stops me from being an extreme leftist is life itself. (que Elvis: "If I Can Dream") Obviously, I would expect that the right wing would bring a similar experience to a discussion. We've all witnessed the slanted options offered in our discussions in this forum by both the left and right. My point through all of this is that its nice to see discussions of opposing views as opposed to flat out arguments...I'm appreciating the way we are presenting points lately. They encourage thought and reflection.
flavio made me realize just how much gravity life experience brings to one's political point of view. Even as those experiences change, be it for better or worse, it seems our 'basic' beliefs remain rooted in the way we experienced life during our politically formative years. For me that would have been the 60's. Since then, I would have to say that my core beliefs have remained fairly constant. That in itself amazes me, given the incredible changes in the world since then. Still, when I reflect on issues, those beliefs almost always seem sound. I have to imagine its the same for all of us. (Those old enough to have an established view.) Am I wrong?

Ardsgaine

flavio said:
Yep, different cultures have a different way of doing things. You can see that just from the difference between a cattle rancher in Wyoming and someone who's grown up in New York city. It's not racist.

What makes you so certain that those two people would have different political opinions? What if the cattle rancher in Wyoming is black and the guy from New York is Korean? How does that affect your cultural calculus?

It certainly doesn't affect the calculus of college admissions boards. All blacks are treated as a single unit, as are all members of other races. There's no effort made to sort them further by background.

flavio said:
I fail to see the similarities between encouraging different viewpoints and Nazi's.

We're not talking about "encouraging different viewpoints." We're talking about the assumption underlying the belief that racial diversity is the same thing as viewpoint diversity. If the universities really want diversity of viewpoint, then they should have people identify themselves by philosophy rather than race. There's far more diversity of opinion between me and Al "Wonder Bread" Gore than there is between me and say, Walter Williams (or even Gato Solo, for that matter).

Ardsgaine

Squiggy said:
The example Ards used (in another thread) regarding drug laws... While I don't believe that our current drug laws are very effective... <snip>

Squiggy, would you like to post this in my "prior restraint" thread as part of that discussion?

Squiggy said:
Even as those experiences change, be it for better or worse, it seems our 'basic' beliefs remain rooted in the way we experienced life during our politically formative years.

My core beliefs underwent a major reordering in 1987 when I picked up Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal by Ayn Rand and read it. In my formative years, I was probably best described as a centrist. Immediately prior to reading Rand I had become completely apolitical-- believe it or not-- and considered all philosophical argumentation pointless. (Sometimes I still revert to the latter position, but now it's more a reflection of my opinion of people, than my opinion of the possibility of knowing anything.) :p

flavio

Banned
Ardsgaine said:
We're talking about the assumption underlying the belief that racial diversity is the same thing as viewpoint diversity.

I think it should be obvious that you stand a much better chance of gathering a variety of viewpoints by getting them from different cultures. Furthermore I don't see the downside.

I've read through some of the Ayn Rand site now and I pretty much think their ideas are unrealistic and even offensive at times.

Ardsgaine

flavio said:
I think itshould be obvious that you stand a much better chance of gathering a variety of viewpoints by getting them from different cultures. Furthermore I don't see the downside.

Since this is just an exact restatement of your original position, does that mean the discussion is over?

flavio said:
I've read through some of the Ayn Rand site now and I pretty much think their ideas are unrealistic and even offensive at times.

Care to specify?

flavio

Banned
Ardsgaine said:
Since this is just an exact restatement of your original position, does that mean the discussion is over?

I feel there are significantly better odds for people from from different cultures to have different viewpoints than people from the same culture. I haven't seen anything here that would indicate that these odds are incorrect.

If you don't have any reason to believe differently then we can agree and the discussion would be over.

Ardsgaine

flavio said:
I feel there are significantly better odds for people from from different cultures to have different viewpoints than people from the same culture. I haven't seen anything here that would indicate that these odds are incorrect.

Well, you never did address the question of whether race equals culture, but that's okay... we're not ever going to agree, so we can drop it here.

flavio

Banned
race and culture are two different but related things. I notice you ignoring a good portion of my points, in this thread and especially in the other one.

dan

christ, don't tell me there's some issue that i might somewhat agree with ardsgaine on... :eek:

"positive discrimination" i'm fairly sure is just as dodgy here as negative discrimination. uni places and jobs and stuff are handed out on merit. it's a rare thing not to see a "XXX is an equal oppertunities employer and will not discriminate on the base of gender, race, religion or sexual orientation" note on the bottom of such applications. and that's a good thing.

Ardsgaine

flavio said:
race and culture are two different but related things.

Ah... so how does that affect your argument then? You've been saying that people from different cultural backgrounds will have different viewpoints, but cultural backgrounds aren't asked for on college admissions forms, just race; and the article, after all, was about race.

flavio said:
I notice you ignoring a good portion of my points, in this thread and especially in the other one.

It's sometimes necessary in order to keep the dicussion focused on the main issue. I've answered the ones I considered relevant. I also try to limit myself to answering the same point just once, definitely no more than twice. I would also prefer to respond to arguments rather than claims. If you give me a laundry list of one-sentence claims for me to refute, then you have to be satisfied with me picking and choosing which ones I want to answer.

flavio

Banned
Ardsgaine said:
Ah... so how does that affect your argument then?

It doesn't, since my first post started out with the notion of culture. To which you responded with.

Ardsgaine said:

So apparently I have a racist viewpoint by saying "I feel there are significantly better odds for people from different cultures to have different viewpoints than people from the same culture."

Which you have declined to agree/disagree with.

Ardsgaine

flavio said:
It doesn't, since my first post started out with the notion of culture.

You were defending the idea that racial diversity at universities leads to a diversity of viewpoints, weren't you?
Or did your first post had nothing to do with the article I posted? Or would you say that you began by equating race and culture and only backed off of that when I called it into question? It took a couple of posts for me to realize the error of equating race and culture. I started out just using the same terms that you were using. Since we were both supposed to be talking about the article, I assumed that we were ulitmately talking about race.

flavio said:
So apparently I have a racist viewpoint by saying "I feel there are significantly better odds for people from different cultures to have different viewpoints than people from the same culture."

That wasn't what you initially said. To begin with you wrote:

Flavio said:
The idea is to recognize the value of viewpoints stemming from different cultures.

The difference being, you say nothing about probabilities, you just say that different cultures implies different viewpoints. It was only later that you backed away to talking about odds and probabilities.

flavio said:
Which you have declined to agree/disagree with.

Before we move on to talking about cultures, are you agreeing that race doesn't determine a person's viewpoint? Would you agree that people of the same race can come from a wide variety of different cultures even though they live in the same country?

flavio

Banned
Ardsgaine said:
That wasn't what you initially said. To begin with you wrote:

Flavio wrote:
The idea is to recognize the value of viewpoints stemming from different cultures.

The difference being, you say nothing about probabilities, you just say that different cultures implies different viewpoints. It was only later that you backed away to talking about odds and probabilities.

Ok, I'll clarify:

you just say that different cultures implies different viewpoints

I didn't say that. I said "The idea is to recognize the value ....." stating the idea behind the practice. I didn't make any absolute statement.

ou backed away to talking about odds and probabilities.

Yeah, I've been trying to work this into the discussion for awhile.