The Truth About Evolution: Somebody's Making A Monkey Out of You

AlladinSane

That's the missing link! The dinos were extinct because they were to big to fit in the ark! I can't believe they didn't think of that before... *peepwall*

chcr

Too cute for words
AlladinSane said:
That's the missing link! The dinos were extinct because they were to big to fit in the ark! I can't believe I didn't think that before... :peepwall:

A great many other people have, dude. I've heard that one at least a thousand times. ;)

freako104

chcr said:
Freak, most of the scientists who study and expound evolution consider themselves "christian." Does that surprise you?

yes in all truth and honesty. Most of the Christians I have met who do not believe in evolution will state things that I feel are damn near insulting of those scientists or willsay it contradicts the Bible in some form or another(though I am not sure how to be honest).

Gotholic

BeardofPants said:
Racism? :rofl:
They're calling adaptation "racism" now? :lol:

Darwin's view on Evolution was racist. That is what it ment.

Darwin spoke of the "gorilla" and the "negro" [sic] as occupying evolutionary positions between the "Baboon" and the "civilized races of man" ("Caucasian"); viz:

"At some future period, not very distant as measured by centuries, the civilized races of man will almost certainly exterminate, and replace, the savage races throughout the world. At the same time, the anthropomorphous apes . . . will no doubt be exterminated. The break between man and his nearest allies will then be wider, for it will intervene between man in a more civilized state, as we may hope, even than the Caucasian, and some ape as low as a baboon, instead of as now between the negro [sic] or Australian and the gorilla." [Charles Darwin, The Descent of Man (London: John Murray, 1901), pp. 241-242.]

See...?

Gotholic

freako104 said:
I tend to believe in evolution since it is what I was taught was right. Plus there has been some proof of it though it is still a theory. There are some facts to back it

I once followed Evolution blindly. That is because I was never exposed to any evidence that contradicts it. Indeed, there is much evidence that is repressed by the school system...

freako104

Gotholic said:
I once followed Evolution blindly. That is because I was never exposed to any evidence that contradicts it. Indeed, there is much evidence that is repressed by the school system...

I do not see how you follow something blindly if there is evidence to back it. and Darwin from my knowledge had nothing to have racism and evolution be connected. I havent found any evidence at all for creationism.

freako104

such as? Gonz the idea that we were just created from nothing seems very unlikely to me. As I have stated there is evidence of evolution. Creationism seems to be the idea that we were created from nothing.

Lopan

Gotholic said:

What kind of education did you have? We had science where we were taught evolution theory and we had religious education where we were told about all religions versions of creationism. At no point did one challenge the other, but its fairly easy to see that creationism is a story told at a time when hardly anyone read and the authors knew diddly squat about the world.

I don't get this challenge to evolution, it's a relatively new discipline and we are still learning about the world and universe. Creationism is just a story with a moral much like the rest of the bible and very similar to Aesops fables, yet do you consider that a sacred text?

chcr

Too cute for words
Gonz said:
The evidence for creationism would be all around you.
Clearly, when you look around you you are seeing something very different than what I see. :shrug:

chcr

Too cute for words
freako104 said:
I do not see how you follow something blindly if there is evidence to back it. and Darwin from my knowledge had nothing to have racism and evolution be connected. I havent found any evidence at all for creationism.
Oh, and once again, Darwin's theory has nothing whatever to do with whether we evolved or not, he simply postulated a mechanism by which evolution has occured (that being natural selection).

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Lopan said:
but its fairly easy to see that creationism is a story told at a time when hardly anyone read and the authors knew diddly squat about the world.

Considering the author is the One that created you, that's pretty bold.

Lopan said:
Creationism is just a story with a moral much like the rest of the bible and very similar to Aesops fables, yet do you consider that a sacred text?

I would hate to be you someday. Maybe before that happens you'll reconsider.

Lopan

SouthernN'Proud said:
Considering the author is the One that created you, that's pretty bold.

*looks for author of Bible* Maybe its (holy) ghost written

I would hate to be you someday. Maybe before that happens you'll reconsider.

*slaps with glove* then its a challenge. God's only real through human consensus. When you stop believing he stops existing. See defunct religions. Its a bit like Santa and the tooth fairy.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Lopan said:
God's only real through human consensus.

You are only the flip side of the hard core fundamentalist.

In reality, neither case is that cut & dry.

MrBishop

Gotholic...pause between sentences, eh.

The break between man and his nearest allies will then be wider, for it will intervene between man in a more civilized state, as we may hope,

even than the Caucasian, and some ape as low as a baboon,

instead of as now between the negro [sic] or Australian and the gorilla."
He's talking about gaps. The statement is that one day, there will be an evolutionary leap from homo sapiens sapien (today) to homo sapiens superior (assumed name) which is as wide or wider that an existing gap.

As a descriptive of the size of the gap that he's talking about, he uses two examples.

A gap as large as that from Babboon to Caucasian

or

A gap as large as from Gorilla to Australian or Negro.

Both are large gaps... he's hoping that the next step will be as wide.
The Australian one throws me off, as its not a racial group, but a geographic group. :shrug:

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Lopan said:
*slaps with glove* then its a challenge. God's only real through human consensus. When you stop believing he stops existing. See defunct religions. Its a bit like Santa and the tooth fairy.

*crams glove in Lopan's most convenient orifice* Yer on. You'll be dead when you realize you lost, but that'll be the least of your problems. He exists whether you want Him to or not. To have that high an opinion of yourself speaks volumes. All religions except Christianity are defunct, they just don't know it yet. And as has been sad many times over, there are none so ignorant as those who refuse to learn. It's the beauty of free will. You don't have to believe now. But you will.

chcr

Too cute for words
MrBishop said:
The Australian one throws me off, as its not a racial group, but a geographic group. :shrug:

He's talking about Australian aborigines, Bish. They are a separate racial group. How do you get separate racial groups ond not have evolution? If it all started with one anglo couple in the middle of Iraq? Enquiring minds want to know.