The unintended consequences of the government protecting you.

jimpeel

thanks!

hey, so are you actually going to address the key issue or are you going to keep skirting around it by throwing out fact-lets?

I don't know how to address the main issue. Parental neglect happens on many fronts. They recently found a 40 pound teenager shackled in a cage. :shrug:

I merely have a contention on why the incidence of children being accidentally left in cars might be. You ascribe it to parental neglect. I ascribe it to the hectic American lifestyle and the children being place out of sight and out of mind. Could be one. Could be the other. Could be both.

Every day people get up; get the kids ready; drop of their dry cleaning; go to the day care; drop the rest of the kids off at school; stop for breakfast at McDonald's; try to get to work on time along with the millions of others blocking their way; meet deadlines; eat on the fly; get the kids to soccer practice; pick up kids from daycare; get home on time along with the millions of others blocking their way; feed the kids; get them to bed on time; and maybe get a piece of ass before retiring for the night in preparation for it all to repeat in the morning.

Is it any wonder that they might forget something as important as their child in the back seat out of sight and out of mind?

Hell, it has even been suggested, and in fact outright accused, that the majority of these incident are intentional acts if infanticide.

jimpeel

yeah it certainly is whole bunch of complicated stuff going on...

I wish we could simply adopt the Chinese model. Americans are on such a tight schedule, or at least think they are. The clock and the cell phone are their new gods.

I see it every day at my job. They will pick up a dozen broken eggs and when I inspect them and find they are broken and can't sell them I say "I'll have someone get you another dozen." they will say "I don't have time to wait."

The other day, I'm redlining and this guy walks up talking on his cell phone. He walks right past me and starts to go to a line that already has someone in it. I say "Sir, I'm available. ... Sir? ... SIR!" He finally turns around. "I'm available." He walks with me to my line. He finishes the call. Halfway trhhrough the transaction the phone rings AND HE ANSWERS IT! The rest of the transaction is finished through hand signals and nods. I get them all of the time.

I want to scream at them "Either talk or conduct business you rude arrogant twit!" but I have to be nice to the rude arrogant twits or they will tell management that I am rude and arrogant and get me fired.

<sigh>

2minkey

bootlicker
what's the chinese model? everybody conform or we'll run your bitch ass over with tanks?

ya know as much as americans pretend they are overwhelmed as far as schedule... mostly it's just rationalizing either

a) not getting the shit done that you should (and this would include family responsibilities)
b) being an asshole

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
holy hell...am I the only one whose eyes glaze over when jimpeel starts a thread?

Jim, buddy, use a clever title to lure them in...put a few line, maybe a paragragh or two, (just to pique their interest), include a link to the site you quoted from. Then, using your own words, state the intent of the thread. Lead by example.

jimpeel

what's the chinese model? everybody conform or we'll run your bitch ass over with tanks?

Now THAT was funny!

ya know as much as americans pretend they are overwhelmed as far as schedule... mostly it's just rationalizing either

Mostly it is work, uncertainty, appeasement, living outside of your means, etc.

a) not getting the shit done that you should (and this would include family responsibilities)
b) being an asshole

I agree more with a than b. Most people today are simply overwhelmed by everyday life. Ah, but for a return to the old days. For some, THESE will be the old days when they are older and going through even more shit that their parents did and they, too, will olng for the old days.

jimpeel

Now THIS is parental neglect!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,311864,00.html

Michigan Boy, 13, Driving for Drunk Dad Charged With DWI
Friday, November 16, 2007

CLIO, Mich. — A police officer checking on a truck that got stuck in the mud at a city park was startled to find a 13-year-old boy behind the wheel.

The officer also was surprised that the boy appeared to be drunk.

So did the teen's father, who was riding in the front seat. He told police that he had turned over the driving duties to his son because he'd had too much to drink.

"[The boy] even said he didn't want to drive because he was too drunk," McLellan told The Flint Journal for a story published Thursday.

<more>

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
The father should get charged, as the boy was following the will of the dad.

2minkey

bootlicker
i was in clio a week ago for a funeral.

they should just raze the whole town. it's nothing but truck drivers and wal-mart shoppers. :D

jimpeel

Oops! I guess I was wrong. THIS is parental neglect.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,312009,00.html

Orgies Abound at Adult Clubs Outside Kansas City, Where Industry Is Largely Unregulated
Friday, November 16, 2007

After a man pleaded guilty to having group sex with his teen stepdaughter and other men at a Kansas City-area strip club, those living nearby were enlightened about what went on in adult entertainment venues in their neighborhood.

Residents of the Jackson County community where Erotic City is located want it shut down, according to MyFOXKC. Those who run the club have been mum on the entire affair.

Within Kansas City limits, the adult entertainment industry is regulated. But on the outskirts, there are few rules, and orgies are the norm at many venues — underscoring just how easy it is to run a sex club and get away with pretty much anything inside.

Federal prosecutors charged Jesse Herd for subjecting his 14-year-old stepdaughter, a minor, to an orgy with as many as 20 other men in addition to himself.

Jackson County Executive Mike Sanders said he'll propose an ordinance setting up strict rules for adult entertainment venues.

"When we started looking into this thing, the one thing that we discovered that this is an industry that is largely unregulated," Sanders told the station.

jimpeel

Can you say RAPE? I knew you could.

Even if she was a willing participant the charge is at the very least statutory rape.

We had a friend whose daughter, at 14, was having a willful affair with the deacon of the church. Her mom heard a conversation on the phone and he was arrested.

The girl went to court and testified FOR the guy and by that testimony hung him out to dry because everything she said under oath on his behalf merely confirmed the truth of the allegations. He was convicted and went to prison for a couple of years.

jimpeel

That's right. 14 year olds are not prepared to make that decision.

There was a day when a woman was of marrying age at 14. Latins celebrate the "Quincinera" or fifteenth year of a woman's life and her coming of age to become a wife and mother.

Arabic nations marry daughters off at 14 in arranged marriages. There were two brothers in Lincoln, NE, following their customs, who were jailed and the husbands of their daughters incarcerated for rape after they married the girls.

America the melting pot and we demand assimilation; but your old customs must melt away or you will be assimilated into our jails. That is what is called "culture shock".

Cerise

I merely have a contention on why the incidence of children being accidentally left in cars might be. Could be one. Could be the other. Could be both.

Or maybe three: crack, crank or meth. :shrug:

Or possibly four: the fact that she's a single "mother" working at Hooters?

ashly_duchene.jpg

.....Duchene usually dropped the boy off at a day-care center on her way to work...

I'd be shocked if the state didn't pay for that daycare.

OK--last one: she hadn't been ordered by the courts to take a parenting class yet? :devious:

"Caring for a child was not a top priority. It may or may not have played a role (in her son's death)," police Sgt. Joel Tranter said.

Duchene said the boy had recently spent a few weeks out of town with his grandfather and that she had gotten out of the habit of dropping him off before work, according to a probable cause statement released by the court Wednesday.

Later that same day, Duchene complained to the boy's father, Clayton Gallagher, that she "couldn't do it anymore" and that all Ryan did was cry. When Gallagher offered to take Ryan, Duchene declined, saying she needed to see her son every day. http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/100977