The War is back on

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
An American soldier, with a gun, walks up to you as a typical Iraqi citizen and asks, "How do you feel about the Americans being here?" Of course, your most likely answer is bound to be, "Fucking infidels, I hope the insurgency kills them all." :rolleyes:

I didn't have a weapon on me...except a small lockblade. The ones I had direct contact with were on the friendly side. If I ask gang-bangers in New YorkCity how they like police patrols, what kind of answer would I get?

rrfield

my bro said some of the iraqis were happy they were there, some were not.
who would expect it to be any different?

(note: he worked for the us army fixing tanks, not for gallup or zogby as a pollster, so he didn't provide me with a demographic breakdown)

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
my bro said some of the iraqis were happy they were there, some were not.
who would expect it to be any different?

(note: he worked for the us army fixing tanks, not for gallup or zogby as a pollster, so he didn't provide me with a demographic breakdown)

You'd have to ask gallup, zogby, or one of those groups who only seem to find the malcontents, and then extrapolate from there...:shrug:

Note...I never really made friends with the 15 or 20 I ran across on a daily basis, but I didn't make them enemies either.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
There's a difference between the Iraqis appreciating our help & them being best buds. None of those I've spoken with said the Iraqis wanted us to stay & have their babies. They all spoke of general gratitude to their updated government & assistance to oust Saddam. They'd like their streets free of Army Convoys (wouldn't we all) but they understand this will not and can not happen overnight. It's a far cry between not wanting to share spit in the shower & demanding our immediate & complete withdrawl.

We're still in Germany & Japan. They're our friends. This can be a similar situation if the left would just shut the fuck up.

MrBishop

We're still in Germany & Japan. They're our friends. This can be a similar situation if the left would just shut the fuck up.
Do you really want troops in Iraq for the next 40 - 60 years?

Finish the Iraq military training and the police training, sick them on the bad dudes and get the fuck out....there are other fish to fry.

Professur

Lemme see. US presence in the middle east? US presence in the middle east? Nope, I don't see a problem with it. The US has a presence in most of the rest of the world, and they manage to get along without bombing the shit out of most people. People keep going on and on about how Westerners are supposed to accept the presence of anyone and everyone on their soil. Well, this can be some of the same. All that has to happen is what everyone's agreed needs to happen. The Iraqi army and police need to get their act together and take over policing the radicals. Whether the US forces are there or not. The US forces will obviously be reduced as the effectiveness of the Iraqi forces increases. Should the US forces be pulled out completely? Not in my opinion. The West needs a Presence there. They need to be in a position to show Achmed Q. Public that Westerners aren't automatically demons. A lesson that needs constant and continual reminders.

MrBishop

Lemme see. US presence in the middle east? US presence in the middle east? Nope, I don't see a problem with it. The US has a presence in most of the rest of the world, and they manage to get along without bombing the shit out of most people. People keep going on and on about how Westerners are supposed to accept the presence of anyone and everyone on their soil. Well, this can be some of the same. All that has to happen is what everyone's agreed needs to happen. The Iraqi army and police need to get their act together and take over policing the radicals. Whether the US forces are there or not. The US forces will obviously be reduced as the effectiveness of the Iraqi forces increases. Should the US forces be pulled out completely? Not in my opinion. The West needs a Presence there. They need to be in a position to show Achmed Q. Public that Westerners aren't automatically demons. A lesson that needs constant and continual reminders.
Opening up Iraq to tourists does that last bit. As for the middle bit...isn't that what I just said?

Finish the Iraq military training and the police training, sick them on the bad dudes and get the fuck out....there are other fish to fry.

Professur

No, in fact, it's not what you said at all. You don't "get the fuck out". You do a controlled withdrawl, leaving enough troops in place to maintain a presence.

The common Achmed needs to see Iraqi and US (or UN) troops side by side. Iraqi officers running the day to day show, but with enough of a big stick to make them effective.

catocom

you need to do some learnin' on the basic nature of war these days. ain't nobody dumb enough to stand up just to be mowed down. or maybe you think war is still big lines of guys firing muskets in unison, at other lines of guys trying to reload?

the REAL objectives? gee gonz, since you're the powerful and decisive chairperson of the indiana chapter of the vast right wing conspiracy, if you don't know...

Actually that is one stratigy for some.
Iran sent thousands of marters in to make Iraq use up the ammo they had
at a certain place, and then took it.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member

I don't object to our presense in Germany or Japan or Korea or anywhere else. Why is it a problem here? In fact, having a (some) base(s) nearby may help counter the gap between civilizations.

spike

There's a difference between the Iraqis appreciating our help & them being best buds. None of those I've spoken with said the Iraqis wanted us to stay & have their babies. They all spoke of general gratitude to their updated government & assistance to oust Saddam. They'd like their streets free of Army Convoys (wouldn't we all) but they understand this will not and can not happen overnight. It's a far cry between not wanting to share spit in the shower & demanding our immediate & complete withdrawl.

Wrong again.

BAGHDAD, Sept. 26 -- A strong majority of Iraqis want U.S.-led military forces to immediately withdraw from the country, saying their swift departure would make Iraq more secure and decrease sectarian violence, according to new polls by the State Department and independent researchers.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/26/AR2006092601721.html

Professur

Wrong again.

BAGHDAD, Sept. 26 -- A strong majority of Iraqis want U.S.-led military forces to immediately withdraw from the country, saying their swift departure would make Iraq more secure and decrease sectarian violence, according to new polls by the State Department and independent researchers.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/26/AR2006092601721.html

A strong majority of Scots wanted England to get the fuck out too. Didn't happen.

spike

Well when the Iraqis, the US soldiers, and the US citizens want us out it's time to get the fuck out.

catocom

Well when the Iraqis, the US soldiers, and the US citizens want us out it's time to get the fuck out.

Has the Elected Pres. of Iraq said he wants the US out now?
Has our Elected Pres. said so?
What %age of solders have said that....names? as gonz said
I figure on US citizens, it depends on if you ask them if they "just want them out",
or if they "need to withdraw now", or if they even care.

said it before
Any poll doesn't mean squat, if the questions aren't posed properly.