Thy tools

unclehobart

What of your tool collection is stuff you bought vs stuff that was liberated family members and friends and stuff that was inherited from the older generations?

Right now all of my stuff is stuff that I have bought myself. The quality isnt nearly what the stuff from the old days are. Anything with a wood handle is only about as strong as flimsy bamboo. I try to get stuff with composite handles that lie somewhere between fiberglass, vulcanized rubber, hardend plastic, and space age carbon fiber. It makes me wonder why good old fashioned hickory isnt used anymore.

Pliers and screwdrivers always seem to end up missing.

My dad is about to move... which will surely mean a tool windfall for me. I may have trouble storing them all.

Sharky

I have a few tools "passed down" from Dad and my brothers, but most are Snap-on tools that I have been accumulating since 1982 or so. When I was working as a Volvo technician in Atlanta half of my paycheck went to the Snap-on man. I always had a list ready when the truck came around, it was addictive. Their air tools are excellent, and they have all the cool handy specialty tools that you can't find at Sears. And nobody builds a better rolling chest.

Kruz

I think I have more than $20.000 invested in tools and diagnostic equipment.... (Snap-on, Mac, Matco, Cornwall, and so on)

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
I have had to start a collection myself. I have a couple really good hammers which came from I dunno where, and a couple screwdriver sets (bought), a corded drill(neglected to tell hubby he'd left it here), a scroll saw(from neighbour, she had a spare), socket set(bought), allan keys(bought) so far. Gettin' there :shrug:

unclehobart

2 of my hammers... my only 2 hammers have taken a walk over the last 6 months and have yet to surface. If I find out who took them :spank2:

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
they're under your roommates dirty clothes...that's where tools always end up.

unclehobart

I'm starting to suspect as much. I don't see why he would have it as he already has a bunch of tools of his own. He wouldn't need to 'borrow' mine.

BlurOfSerenity

i've got a pair of pliers....
anddddd... i think i have a screwdriver.
theyre all i've needed or have had use for as of yet.

Oz

Lessee......

(these are estimates)

At the moment I own

150 hammer drills
80 Electric Sanders
50 Electric Woodplanes
50 Belt Sanders
50 Cordless drills
50 Cordless screwdrivers
200 Screwdriver sets (8 per set)
200 Allen Key sets
200 Spanner sets
20 Hand drills
20 Hand planes
50 Hammers
50 Hand saws
200 Hacksaws
50 Stanly knives
a coupla dozen assorted tape measures/set squares etc
a coula hundred pounds of assorted nails nuts and bolts etc
And a shitload of other stuff in the back of the garage

although I do sell a lot of tools for a living ........ ;)

Stuff I own in the house (everyday tools)

1 Hammer
a socket set with a gazzilion different scokets
a coupla screwdrivers
Allen keys
Stanly knife
Nails, screws, nuts and bolts, jubilee clips etc
Pliers
Wire strippers
and prolly a few bits in the bottom of the box I've forgotten about....

Oz

unclehobart said:
Sounds like enough to outfit an engineer construction batallion.

*nods* Doesn't leave a lotta space in me storage.........but it was a good wholesale bargain so I couldn't pass it up.

Oz

unclehobart said:
Are all of a given tool of the same brand, or a mish mash collection of sizes and whanot?

The electrical stuff is all Bosch.........coulda got a cheaper brand but they don't seem to sell as well.

The handtools are a mish mash......mostly cheap and nasty chinese crap.

pc_builder

Since I have no way to lock up my tools, they keep getting borrowed and never returned. I have to keep buying more tools just so I can work on my computers.

HomeLAN

unclehobart said:
2 of my hammers... my only 2 hammers have taken a walk over the last 6 months and have yet to surface. If I find out who took them :spank2:

Twasn't me, but I'd say the other comments in this thread may be on the right track.

tonksy

i have some assorted stuff...a screwdriver here and there...a hammer...a claw one, i think....oh! and an allen wrench in my purse (or, for gato, an alien wrench ;) )

MrBishop

Most of my tools have been bought by your's truly, though I've been getting a few being gifted to my by Prof (which thinks that tools make for great CHristmas gifts)...he's right...they're handy!

I've got 1 borrowed circular saw (Father-in-law) and 1 borrowed reciprocating saw (neighbour).
I've also inherited several tools from my late Grandfather (who used to fix airplanes) and some from my late Uncle (who worked for Esso).

Beyond all that...I've got quite a collection of tools for my hobby...all very small and extremely accurate. I work on 3/4" tall figurines when the idea pops into my head that a headache isn't so bad after all. :)

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
About the only tool I've inherited is an Estwing hammer that belonged to my grandpa. Other than that, I started buyig a complete Craftsmen workshop when I was around 18. I've got Sockets, open ended wrenches (Metric and standard) , closed ended wrenches(just standard), Metric crows feet, two or three full screwdriver sets, and a shitload of power tools, drills, saws, router, table saw, etc...

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Ryobi cordless drill (12 volt :( ), 20 oz claw hammer, assorted screwdrivers (+ and - ), cheap chinese socket set, 1 Leatherman, received while TDY to Bosnia in 1996,, which my fiancee broke (one end of the pliers) :grumpy:, and one Gerber, which my fiancee is not allowed to touch.