Thy tools

chcr

Too cute for words
I used to have quite a mixed bag of hand tools, but my garage was robbed 7 or 8 years ago, and I replaced all the hand tools with Craftsman. Got Makita cordless stuff, and mostly Delta corded. Craftsman band saw and compressor (too big to steal, I guess). I still haven't come close to replacing all the odd specialty stuff I accumulated over the years.

unclehobart

I've just come back from Home Depot with a new mini wheelbarrow and a quasi hoe-rake-like device made up of cruel blades that are supposed to pass through soil at about 3 inches deep and rip all rootings and grasses to shreds. Its great for working the soil and shoring up runaway grass edges... which is quite common with zoysia and bermudas. I also got a small soft tined telescoping handle rake with only a 6 inch fan span for work in the more delicate areas of the garden where a full sized rake simply wont fit... or would be utterly destructive.

...as well as the obligatory fertilizers and preventers that add up to big $ *grumble*

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
unclehobart said:
I've just come back from Home Depot with a new mini wheelbarrow and a quasi hoe-rake-like device made up of cruel blades that are supposed to pass through soil at about 3 inches deep and rip all rootings and grasses to shreds. Its great for working the soil and shoring up runaway grass edges... which is quite common with zoysia and bermudas. I also got a small soft tined telescoping handle rake with only a 6 inch fan span for work in the more delicate areas of the garden where a full sized rake simply wont fit... or would be utterly destructive.

...as well as the obligatory fertilizers and preventers that add up to big $ *grumble*

Garden Weasel?

unclehobart

Nah. A garden weasel has spinning gnashing tines dedicated to working soil.
GW%20Tool2.gif

The toy I have has no moving parts. Consequently, it is also known generally as a weasel.
weasel.jpg
The second pic looks 90% like it except that the rounded hoe tines should be flat scythe blades.

Inkara1

I haven't inhereted any tools yet. I have a cheap chinese "auto mechanic's kit" in the car, another cheap chinese socket set here in the apartment that's missing some of the parts, a remanufactured Skil 14.4V drill/driver, a few screwdrivers, some robo-grip pliers, two or three hammers, and a swiss army knife that has everything but pliers on it.

Mirlyn

Deep and short socket set; hex/allen set; about three sets of regular screwdrivers; socket screwdrivers; jewlers screwdriver set; Torx set; and miniature, medium, and large sets of pliers/needlenose/dikes. Metric and Standard for everything I own. The Mustang has mostly Standard interior bolts (seatbelt anchors, etc) yet a fairly metric engine bay (oil pan, etc).

I probably can match all that expense in electical equipment as well: Coax/RJ crimpers, mulitmeters, stripers, ends, etc.

The only things I don't own are a hammer, misc saws, and a dremel. For those I borrow my dad's (I still live at home). I bought a majority of my tools and received the rest as gifts (usually tools make up my x-mas list).

BlurOfSerenity

Inkara1 said:
and a swiss army knife that has everything but pliers on it.

XD on the subject of swiss army knives, i just bought this one a couple weeks ago.
i forget i have it, sometimes. lol, my dad has a bigger classic red one, that he's had for as long as i can remember, and it's long been referred to as his "handy-dandy pocket-knife". i want mine to be handy and dandy too, lol.
i keep it on my keychain, tho.

p.s: yes, it is pink

alex

Sharky said:
When I was working as a Volvo technician in Atlanta half of my paycheck went to the Snap-on man. I always had a list ready when the truck came around, it was addictive. Their air tools are excellent, and they have all the cool handy specialty tools that you can't find at Sears. And nobody builds a better rolling chest.

And we thank you very much. I used to sell Snap-on tools :D

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
paul_valaru said:
I have 2 Leathermans
the ones WITH the pliers :D

smmultlok.jpg

Mine was black and issued by NATO. I still don't know how my fiancee broke one of the jaws off the pliers... :shrug:

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Gato_Solo said:
Mine was black and issued by NATO. I still don't know how my fiancee broke one of the jaws off the pliers... :shrug:

That nipples got to be sore...

unclehobart

ash r said:
XD on the subject of swiss army knives, i just bought this one a couple weeks ago.
i forget i have it, sometimes. lol, my dad has a bigger classic red one, that he's had for as long as i can remember, and it's long been referred to as his "handy-dandy pocket-knife". i want mine to be handy and dandy too, lol.
i keep it on my keychain, tho.

p.s: yes, it is pink
Open the main blade and look at the manufacturer printed at the base. Who made it? ... if it was other than Made in China, that is.

chcr

Too cute for words
I forgot power equipment. 12 hp 42" Craftsman lawn tractor (2.5 acres to mow, less the garden). 8 horse Troybilt Tiller with chipper-shredder (lots of trees). 4 hp Craftsman walk behind (gotta do the trim too). Ryobi weed-wacker with interchangeable attachments (cultivator, edger, pruner). McCulloch chainsaw (see the part about all the tress) (that's right Leslie, I have a chainsaw. I've heard that turns Canadian girls on :D ).

Professur

If I started a list, Sam would need more donations to handle it. Suffice it to say, I'm a toolaholic, and I'm weak. 2 weeks ago, I caved and bought the previously discusses 14.4V cordless kit. Yesterday, a 3HP/10g compressor.

And to clarify buying tools for Bish ... I was over there fixing his computer, and I made the mistake of asking him for a screwdriver. I got one of those old mulitbit drivers, with half the bits missing. That x-mas, he got a 21 piece driver set. Now, if I ask him for a screwdriver, I expect to get a tool I can use.;)

tommyj27

Not really Banned
i get tools for christmas from my dad every year. all the screwdrivers and needle-nosed pliers are AWOL, no thanks to anyone who knows where my toolbox is. any tool i could possibly need to work on a computer has long since vanished. except for a hammer :D

BlurOfSerenity

unclehobart said:
Open the main blade and look at the manufacturer printed at the base. Who made it? ... if it was other than Made in China, that is.

it's real. straight from die Schweiz.
i bought it at an actual well-respected knife store.
the scan turned out bad, but, see? even tho you prolly can't :(