"TRYING vs. DOING"

chcr

Too cute for words
MHO....
Life is all just a series of 'decisions', whether it be conscience, or sub-conscience.

Some decisions are instant, some take planning.
Depending on if I try, or just do, depends on if I already know if I can do it, or not.
Does it take planning, have others accomplished it, how hard might it be...

e.g. if I want to look at the sky, I just do it.
If I want to change the engine in my car, it needs a little forethought, with
the possibility for mishaps. So I'd be trying, and doing, with a probably but
somewhat uncertain outcome.

See, I'd say you try to look at the sky then look. It's possible to try to look at the sky and fail (unlikely though). What if you had a crick in your neck?

Re the series of decisions, are you familiar with Terry Pratchett's "Trousers of Time?"

catocom

I guess the core of the question is, do you want to "dance with the thought of failure",
or have a mindset to "make it work no mater what".:nerd:

catocom

See, I'd say you try to look at the sky then look. It's possible to try to look at the sky and fail (unlikely though). What if you had a crick in your neck?

Re the series of decisions, are you familiar with Terry Pratchett's "Trousers of Time?"

No haven't heard of it.

well I said "I".
Right now I 'know' that I can...do.
(I just used it as an example) you can substituted anything, that you know you can do already

MrBishop

No haven't heard of it.

well I said "I".
Right now I 'know' that I can...do.
(I just used it as an example) you can substituted anything, that you know you can do already

So where's the challenge in that? If all I do is stuff that I know I can do, I end up repeating myself.

I'd rather keep trying new things and new methods for old things. That way, if I fail..I learn and if I succeed..i learn :D

75renegade

Hmm.. not sure what I am. Do I have to be one or the other? What if I hear of a great recipe but it's not written down and I want to make it? I make whatever it is and it turns out great - did I *DO* or did I *TRY*?

My dear goddess, I submit for your consideration that if you made the recipe...then you did it!!

The beauty of it is that although you did not necessarily "know" the result, you did not let that become the mental obstacle that prevented you from making it happen.

The fact that it turns out great , would be just a side benefit in the process of growing your spirit, which is a far greater call, answered by a very few.

In my pea-sized world, I say you are without a doubt a doer!!

75renegade

Another thought to consider;

Typically, the doer does not realize that he/she is a doer and he/she does not usually understand the faning plight of the try-er.

Likewise, the tryer does not realize that he/she is a try-er and consequently does not understand the magnetizing path of the doer.

I submit for your consideration that the only doer who recognizes and understands the path of the try-er, only does so because he/she was once merely a try-er before they recognized and embraced a new level of perspective and awareness that brought addicting results to their journey....

The two are definitely not the same, according to the thesis of a renegade lover (aka a former try-er).

Great thoughts all, thanks for sharing!!:beardbng:

BB

Is it "possible" that you'll be ass-f@cking BB on the French Riviera next weekend?

Dream on, Fucktard!

If insult / rape fantasy is your thing ...

if not - explain yourself.

What could be clearer than that?

Words?

Care??

meaning???

"anything goes" huh?

I'm disappointed chcr - :shrug: ... indeed words should be chosen with care -

are you claiming you are "trying" or that you are "doing" ?

trying to be needlessly insulting or "doing" by being needlessly insulting?

...or just care-less of the words and meanings you use?

Which is it, prey?

... besides, i have a headache that week-end :bgpimp: ;)

chcr

Too cute for words
BB, you have a PM. My apologies, sometimes sarcasm doesn't translate to the written word very well. :shrug:

BB

:bgpimp: ..tell me about it!

hey no worries- considering how lashed i was last night, i'm just glad i didn't go off on some insulting shit stupid rant ... :grinyes:

Took me half the morning to remember where i'd left the car... :toast:

nah - anyway - "anything's possible" :D

(just in this case highly unlikely in the extreme ... and anyway Gonz would have to be my bitch!:bgpimp:

(j/k Gonz!)

BB

Sorry - i am doing Luis - he asked first! :D

(j/k)

headache? Actually might be getting a cold - hope not :hmm:

otherwise, finish up here by midday or so, i'll be driving down to the southwest, to go see my sister, who isn't too well -

(she'll just love me turning up with a cold, if i am getting one! :bgpimp: )

-could do next weekend in southern france if that is any help?

;)

PrincessLissa

I can understand where this idea comes from, but when trying to conceive there really is no "just do it". We "just did it" for 9 months before we made this baby. I wasn't going to tell people that "we are having a baby" just because I was trying. We told everyone that we were trying. I wanted more than anything to have another baby and I was going to do everything that I could. However, I needed to keep a bit of reality on my side. A doctor told me that I might never have any more children without a lot of medical help. I needed to keep that in perspective so that I wasn't completely stressed and disappointed for those 8 sticks without the second line.

With all that said I think that because we continued to try and continued to keep our hopes up with a side of reality we were able to conceive without any medical treatment at all.

Some may say that this is a medical issue and maybe shouldn't fall into this category, but let's look at it from another view.

Alex rides horses competitively and she works very hard. She DOES her best each and every time. She DOES her best in attempts to TRY and get first place. We are all very proud of her success as she has put so much work into it and she tries very hard. When she doesn't get the first place ribbon, she simply says that she did her best and now she knows what to work on for next time.

I think it depends on how you define trying. If you have learned that trying leaves a large margin for acceptable failure, than you have learned wrong. If you have learned that DOING your best at whatever you are doing is trying, then you have learned correctly. There are many things that I try to do and sometimes they just don't happen but I can sleep well at night knowing that I did my best.