U.N. report: U.S. committed acts 'amounting to torture' at Gitmo

Winky

Now my behavior on a chat bored has fallen under your control?
You people are all the same, next you’re going to tell me
to put my infant child in a car seat, stop smoking in bars
and tell me I can’t condone torture for enemy combatants?

Like this never gets old?

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Those who dislike the very concept of being involved in a war on terror have built a very convenient lens to observe the anti-terror world. Mark Steyn, while making another point altogether, put it well:

Most terrorists seem like bumbling losers if they're caught before the act: That's certainly true of the Fort Dix jihadists who took their terrorist training DVD to the local audio store to be copied. It was also true of the Islamists arrested in Toronto last year for plotting to behead the prime minister, one of whose cell members had a bride who wanted him to sign a prenup committing him to jihad. The Heathrow plotters arrested while planning to blow up U.S.-bound airliners included a Muslim convert who'd started out as the son of a British Conservative Party official with a P. G. Wodehouse double-barreled name and a sister who was a Victoria's Secret model and ex-wife of tennis champ Yanick Noah.

But then Mohammed Atta and the 9/11 gang would have seemed pretty funny if you'd run into them in that lap-dance club they went to before the big day where the girls remembered them only as very small tippers. Most terrorists are jokes until the bomb goes off.

If we catch anybody other than a top-tier known terrorist before they attack, they look like clowns and losers not worthy of calling our effort against them a "war." How can we take such idiots seriously, they say.

And if we fail to stop terrorists before they strike, our intelligence and law enforcement are inept jokers and we've wasted money on them--with the obvious solution of launching another investigation trotted out.

It's a win-win situation for the side that wants to declare peace and sit at home snarling about the war mongers who insist we are at war with evil men.

And so here we are, our safety stuck in the middle.

Pick your poison...

spike

Or weren't even there in the first place :laugh:

H. Candace Gorman, a Chicago-based attorney for two Guantanamo detainees, noted that three of the names on the Pentagon list do not appear on official rosters of detainees. She said she believes they were never actually held at the prison in southeast Cuba.

"To say detainees are back on the battlefield has become one of their justifications for indefinite detention," Gorman said. "They have to justify the cruelty of what they're doing."

Winky

But Gato wouldn't nearly 100% of young white Christian Americans polled agree that collateral civilian deaths would be justified in an effort to blow'd up the terrorists?

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
But Gato wouldn't nearly 100% of young white Christian Americans polled agree that collateral civilian deaths would be justified in an effort to blow'd up the terrorists?

I don't write'em, I just link'em.

Winky

When I was a Kid, Muslim meant Black Panther, now it means terrorist?

An Arab was somebody that lost a war in six days or so, to Isreal.

A hijacker was Palestinian or Cuban.

Even Victor Charlie could be respected.

And the American soldier was GI Joe or John Wayne
(or my father, 26 years in the United States Air Force)

now she's a piece of trailer trash smokin' a cigarette makin'
nekkid pyramids

Oh the times they are a changin'