***URGENT*** What would you do?

Aunty Em

There is a possibility of my getting an AMD 1.4 (266) which my board (KT7A) supports.

Do I get it NOW, like today and wait for the hammers come in to replace my board, ram and processor or do I wait till after christmas and upgrade the other bits then?

Aunty Em

1 Ghz TB (200)

It's £68.15.

The new board I'm looking at will take it until I get an XP - AX7-333 or KD7-G.

whoreable

some of them lucky gig chips where making it to like 1.5 gig. and the kt7a was a decent overclockin board too.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
You're not going to see a great deal of performance gain on that, now if it was an XP2000 or above, then I'd say to go ahead and do it.

Aunty Em

PuterTutor said:
If you got a 1Ghz, I'd wait.

I was planning on getting a new 400W PSU, 256MB Samsung 2700 DDR Ram and the mobo after christmas as the 1 GHz will go on that board until I can get an XP in about March.

Aunty Em

whoreable said:
maybe do that. but i would not get another t-bird for sure.

I can overclock the 1 GHz on the new board probably once I know it's all stable and working OK. I've seen stats for them up to 14 and 15 hundred on the KT7A.

If I overclock I'm only going to do it via the multiplyer, I don't want problems with the fsb especially as I'm planning to get a 2200+ or better depending on the price at that time. I'm hoping that if the Hammer comes in the price of the 2400+ and 2600+ will drop significantly. :)

Patience! I get impulsive sometimes. I was feeling quite excited there. Can't remember the last time a guy got me that way! :)

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, 1ghz to 1.4 doesn't justify that much money especially when you could very well jack it up to 1.33 or 1.4 just as it is (depending on the stepping and how easily you can raise cpu voltage)

In order to OC with the multiplier, you'll have to make sure your L1 bridges on the processor are closed. Most of the ones that are lucky OCers came direct from the factory closed, afaik; both of the T-bird 1.2's I've had were AVIA-stepping, the younger brother to the instant-1.4-1.5 gig AXIAs. In fact, my brothers are running the second incarnation of my T-bird right now, overclocked to 1.33 in a closed case with crappy cooling ;)

Aunty Em

Justintime said:
yes, if the core is AXIA or better, 1.33-1.7ishGhz is possible, my 1.4 did 1.8Ghz on 1.85v on air :)

How would I know if it was AXIA or better?

According to my HW Monitor the VCore voltage is 1.81. I presume I increase the voltage in the BIOS. I will have to read up on it.

I will have to join the L1 bridges, but that's not difficult with a decent sharp pencil. I will have to get a better heat sink although this one is rated to 1.5, my cpu runs at between about 40 and 49 depending on load - I don't want it to go any higher. Plus it's joined with a wax pad which concerns me a bit as I've read that after removal you can never get as good a contact as before because it's not possible to completely remove all the wax from the fissures in the metal. I suppose I could always get some new wax pads rather than use artic silver on it since when they become maleable in the heat that would presumably make a better contact.

A.B.Normal

If the Motherboard only has a 12X multiplier ,since you have a " 1 Ghz TB (200)" the most you can get without playing with the FSB is 1200mhz.The easiest way to see if its unlocked is go into the BIOS and set the multiplier to 12 ,if it boots as a 1200 its unlocked ,if its not unlocked it'll just boot as a 1000mhz.If you want to see if its an AXIA your going to have to remove the HSF .
A good read for KT7A owners http://www.sudhian.com/faqs.cfm/fid/2/fcid/22.sud

Aunty Em

A.B.Normal said:
If the Motherboard only has a 12X multiplier ,since you have a " 1 Ghz TB (200)" the most you can get without playing with the FSB is 1200mhz.The easiest way to see if its unlocked is go into the BIOS and set the multiplier to 12 ,if it boots as a 1200 its unlocked ,if its not unlocked it'll just boot as a 1000mhz.If you want to see if its an AXIA your going to have to remove the HSF .
A good read for KT7A owners http://www.sudhian.com/faqs.cfm/fid/2/fcid/22.sud

I already know that it's locked as it won't boot as anything else. The Bios supports 1300 (100) so the multiplyer must go to at least 13x. It's a soft menu(no jumpers) and I can't change the multiplier until the cpu is unlocked.

Aunty Em

I just had a quick look in the Bios again. When set to >=1300(100) the multiplyer reads x12above, so I should get something between 1.2 and 1.3.

Bios also says VCore is 1.75 not 1.81 - not sure which to believe.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
You might want to try for a 133FSB, T-Birds above 1.33Hz have them.
Some 1.0's and 1.2's are 133fsb.

1300's never actually had a 100fsb, the multiplier on T-birds only went up to 12.5, so the motherboard bumped up the FSB to 104 to achieve 1300mhz.

I think the Vcore goes up because most motherboards will bump it by .06v to ensure that if you have a crappy PSU that dips a lot, it won't dip by enough to cause the processor to stop operating. Either that or imprecise voltage regulators. The one on the KT7a powering my brothers' T-bird is fucked up so bad it bumps up by 0.6v, so I have to set it to 1.15v for the correct voltage (well, actually 1.25, the processor needs 1.85v to operate at 1.33)