Vista sucks...RLY

Professur

Bish .... I'm just gonna throw this one out there, but did you install the same keyboard pattern across both machines? Those errors look a great deal like server refusals. What are the odds that you've got CF on one and Canuck multi-ling on the other?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923944

MrBishop

I can't ping you from here.

Considering I'm not plugged in now..on that machine..I'm not all that surprised. I have one cable...either it's in the new machine and I'm trying to get online..unsuccesfully, or I unplug that cable from the new machine and plug it into the new machine and post/read on here.

I don't have a splitter or a router available. It's one or the other, but not both.

MrBishop

Bish .... I'm just gonna throw this one out there, but did you install the same keyboard pattern across both machines? Those errors look a great deal like server refusals. What are the odds that you've got CF on one and Canuck multi-ling on the other?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923944

I didn't play with either KB pattern...so they should both be on default.

In either case, I copy/pasted the messages from the new machine into MSWord...saved it to a .doc on a thumb drive, moved it to the old machine, reopened it in word and did a copy/paste from there to *here*

The KB shouln't play into it, should it?
By CF - do you mean the French? Canadian French? - it that's the case, then no... they're both Anglo KBs - one is a logitech barebones and the other a Logitech wireless

MrBishop

The broadband network connection could not be established on your computer because the remote server is not responding. This could be caused by an invalid value for the 'Service Name' field for this connection. Please contact your Internet Service Provider and inquire about the correct value for this field and update it in the Connection Properties.

Professur

I'm thinking your acc't is configured for a XP user, and they're having an issue accepting a Vista login.

MrBishop

Well...then an XP user I shall become then....as soon as I can save my Mail stuff...contcts mostly. Fuckin' Micro-soft-in-the-head

Winky

Load Win_7 its free fer Christs' sake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address: 169.254.130.174
icon9.gif

Mirlyn

Re: Load Win_7 its free fer Christs' sake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address: 169.254.130.174
icon9.gif

What he said. You can't remotely ping what's not routeable.

Sounds like a PPPoE session problem.

MrBishop

Well...I took the easier way out...
Couldn't go from wVista to Xp..stopped at every turn. Went and bought a Router (I had planned on putting my old machine online for my son so..wireless).

Set up the Router in under 5 mins, and was online before I knew it...and here I am.

Now, to buy more RAM. 1gb isn't nearly enough for a Vista machine.

Mirlyn

I don't know what Winky said there but that completely depends on your network.
The autoconfiguration has 255.255.0.0.

Gonz, when your computer is set to DHCP and you don't get an IP, you get that 169.254. address with that subnet after timing out. Having a larger or smaller subnet won't hurt much (as long as it includes your gate), but it can significantly slow down or limit the network as it waits on broadcasts and such.

Bish, the router is by far the best way to go. Glad its all working.

chcr

Too cute for words
The autoconfiguration has 255.255.0.0.

Gonz, when your computer is set to DHCP and you don't get an IP, you get that 169.254. address with that subnet after timing out. Having a larger or smaller subnet won't hurt much (as long as it includes your gate), but it can significantly slow down or limit the network as it waits on broadcasts and such.

Bish, the router is by far the best way to go. Glad its all working.
Guess I knew that if I'd been thinking clearly. I use a bunch of Brother network laser printers and they all default back to that 169.254.x.x network whenever some idjit leans against the all purpose button for four seconds (which happens to one store or another at least once a week).

Sometimes I wish I understood this stuff.
Other times I'm glad I don't.

Sometimes I wish I did too. :D

Glad you're up and running Bish.

Mirlyn

Guess I knew that if I'd been thinking clearly. I use a bunch of Brother network laser printers and they all default back to that 169.254.x.x network whenever some idjit leans against the all purpose button for four seconds (which happens to one store or another at least once a week).

A screwdriver, and possibly a pair of needlenose...what all purpose button? :D