W2K SP3

greenfreak

Anyone try it yet?

I have to get my own computer at home back online but I'm going to have to start installing it on all the new pc's I distribute at work. I haven't setup a test machine yet but was wondering if anyone had any experiences with it.

HomeLAN

Not used it yet. I don't run W2K at home, and we haven't installed it at work yet. I'll ask my IT guy, though.

Shadowfax

<b>mod cow</b>
didn't notice any differences....just used it a week though. then i had to reformat and had to test Win2k Advanced Server...so no long term experiences :)

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
I did it, no problems here, I'm on a home network with it. No connectivity problems, about the only thing you'll notice front end is the ability to say what your default web browser, Email, Messenger, etc. is.

HeXp£Øi±

About the only thing you'll notice front end is the ability to say what your default web browser, Email, Messenger, etc. is.
Is that all? Is this one of Microsofts new fixes? I sure hope there's a reg hack for it or i might not even bother. The only thing on my computer which is set to MS default is notepad.

HeXp£Øi±

So the setting microsoft programs to default isn't really an issue? It just returns them to their default state but they can be reset?

PT

It's part of the lawsuit settlement, I beleive. They provide a program now that makes it easy to change.

HomeLAN

My IT dude says to watch for 2 things:

There's a new "Automatic Update" link in Control Panel. Unless you want that, turn it off.

Under add/remove programs, you've got a link for defaults. You can set 'em there.

greenfreak

HomeLAN said:
My IT dude says to watch for 2 things:

There's a new "Automatic Update" link in Control Panel. Unless you want that, turn it off.

Under add/remove programs, you've got a link for defaults. You can set 'em there.

I've seen that in Windows Update, apparently you can load that seperately without SP3 also. I always uncheck it for work-I don't want my users getting confused. They can barely remember what their passwords are. :rolleyes:

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
i just updated from the "original" version to SP3, i did it just for the sake of it.

no probs here.

samcurry

Screwing with the code...
Staff member
one other thing to watch for is it installs a firewall in the network properties. makes it hard to get updates and stuff. :mad2:

PT

samcurry said:
one other thing to watch for is it installs a firewall in the network properties. makes it hard to get updates and stuff. :mad2:

It does? How do you get to it to change it? I can't find anything.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
i see options to configure a firewall for a given adapter, but it is disabled by default.

greenfreak

That would be a problem at work considering we already have a complicated firewall setup to begin with... Can you disable it?

PT

I still can't get to anything that even says firewall, not under my adapter properties, or network properties. :shrug:

samcurry

Screwing with the code...
Staff member
Yes you can disable it in the network properties. This is where you would also configure it.