Warning!! Extreme cold warnings in Montreal

MrBishop

Gonz said:
Here's a unique opportunity. I can seriously ask a Canuck a question that (so far) no American has been able to answer.

It seems I was taught that moving water won't fereze. So, WTF?

Rocks on the bottom of the river + extremes of cold. The rocks will slow the water somewhat at it's base...extreme colds means that the slowed water will freeze and build up. The obstruction will get larger and block more water, which will freeze and worsten the flow.

Imagine this if you will. When something is freezing, it's molecules are slowing down until they come to a stop (frozen or solid state), they're losing energy. You can slow down the process by mechanically adding energy to the molecules (stirring the water, having it flow downstream)...often indefinatly.

At some point, when it gets cold enough...you are losing more energy from the cold outside than you are getting back from the friction against either the river bottom or sides or the sides of the glass *if you're stirring it* and the water loses all of it's heat/energy and freezes.

That's the physics of it...in laymen's terms....it's just that fuckin' cold innit?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
It may be cold north of the border but can you match Buffalo NY for snowfall??? (dig the "dropoff")

SOME WEAKENING IS EXPECTED FRIDAY NIGHT...BUT THE LAKE BAND SHOULD
CONTINUE TO REMAIN IN PLACE ACROSS SOUTHERN JEFFERSON...CENTRAL AND
SOUTHERN LEWIS...AND NORTHERN OSWEGO COUNTIES.

SOME LOCATIONS IN OSWEGO COUNTY HAVE ALREADY REPORTED SNOWFALL
AMOUNTS ASSOCIATED WITH THIS LAKE BAND OF CLOSE TO 4 FEET SINCE
WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON.

ADDITIONAL ACCUMULATIONS OF A FOOT OR MORE CAN BE EXPECTED
TONIGHT...WITH ADDITIONAL ACCUMULATIONS OF A FOOT OR MORE AGAIN
DURING THE DAY FRIDAY. AMOUNTS SHOULD DROP OFF TO 4 TO 8 INCHES
FRIDAY NIGHT.

IT IS LIKELY THAT PORTIONS OF OSWEGO COUNTY...WHERE THE LAKE SNOWS
PERSISTS...SNOWFALL TOTALS WILL EXCEED 5 FEET.

chcr

Too cute for words
You know, I was just thinking about it. Do you suppose it's worst there because weather comes across all the great lakes before it gets to Oswego county? :shrug:

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
It's miles & miles from Mi to Oswego, via the lake...they don't need Superior. That may matter more to the other cites (Rochester, Albany, etc)

chcr

Too cute for words
Gonz said:
It's miles & miles from Mi to Oswego, via the lake...they don't need Superior. That may matter more to the other cites (Rochester, Albany, etc)

Albany isn't really in the lake band, too far south. Rochester is though. Oswego County is right where the shore starts to turn north and they get the full effect. It just seems like it's always worse there than anywhere else.

Sharky

I am unable to comprehend what living amongst five feet of snow and in temps below 20 F would be like. My heart goes out to those of you who are dealing with such conditions.