we got rearended...

unclehobart

I wouldn't go through Marietta Dodge. Thats where I bought the recently late truck of mine. They wern't so bad in the start... but they became evil over a number of years. Now they are just plain scummy. You went out of the Woodstock location, eh? I will probably do a test drive just to get a feel if the peppy V-6 has enough nads where it counts. Do you remember if all variations of the V-6 were being deeply discounted, or was it just the wimpy ones? Packed with options, it might still go up on 30k.

If I can find the very one that I want, dad reccomends that I go through the Sams Club buyers arbitration process and let them go to bat for me.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Unc...Don't buy anything til you look at the local DRMO sales for the following truck...

per02_13a.jpg

It's called a 'Peacekeeper', and is built onto a sturdy 1980's Dodge frame. The mileage is crap, but you'll never have damaged sheetmetal again. :grinno: Some models even have A/C. :eek: Just think...any accident can be taken care of with a $2.55 can of Krylon. :grinyes: If you happen to find one in need of a little repair, you can get it cheap, throw in a new engine and transmission, and voila! A car even a swabby couldn't kill...unless they drove it off a pier. ;)

tonksy

DRMO! dude, i was totally telling rob about drmo the other day but couldn't remember the acronym....i think the peacekeeper is a bit much...and for future reference their are not too many piers around here.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
tonksy said:
DRMO! dude, i was totally telling rob about drmo the other day but couldn't remember the acronym....i think the peacekeeper is a bit much...and for future reference their are not too many piers around here.

I never mentioned any names, dear...:grinno:...and I'm sure that there are some lakes near Marietta that would sink just such a vehicle. ;)

As for being a bit much, isn't your safety worth the extra money you pay for gasoline/diesel? :grinyes:

[sleazy salesman voice]How about your kids? Armored car, or cheap tin can?[/sleazy salesman voice]

Inkara1

Unc: does Georgia allow you to keep a totaled car, with a salvage title? When I had that '81 Honda and got in the crash, the insurance company totaled it, but I got to keep it... but getting a salvage title requires a smog check and brake and lamp inspection. Perhaps you could do that and keep it around just got getting stuff at Home Depot and whatnot.

As for the nice aftermarket stereo... it would suck to lose that, but about the only thing it would be worth your while to pull is the head unit. Since you dropped XM, there's no reason to pull the tuner box, and the chances are probably slim that you'd find a car that takes the same size speakers... and I wouldn't recommend buying a car simply because it matches your speakers. And if I remember what you told me about your setup right... and even if not, but if you're anything at all like me... then the speakers cost a good deal more than the head unit.

HomeLAN

Rob, they were discounting all models except the RT's. As I remember from my test drive, the 190 HP 6 banger was anemic, the 250 HP 6'er was pretty fair, and then there's the beast.

Obviously, things might've changed on the price front, and you may not have the same opinions on power, but I'd say it's worth a trip out there.

tonksy

test drove a lexus es 300...:love3:
LexusES300.jpg

only this one was a midnight blue with black leather interior. it's on the short list.

MrBishop

I mentioned you accident to MrsBish last night... she sends her best. She also told me why her new boss was late this morning(yesterday). Seems that he got sideswiped by someone doing a 3-lane change into a U-turn...

The car's a 2004, and he's owned it for 5 days. Hasn't even made his first payment on it yet.

Professur

Bish, shame he doesn't get that 30 day trade in option, eh?

Tonks, I don't think that'll hold the amps.

HomeLAN

So, what is the short list at this point? Been wondering since Unc called to get the Dodge dude's name.

unclehobart

The current short list is:

Lexus ES 300
Toyota Avalon XL
3.5 RL Acura
Infiniti G35
Infiniti I30

We were finding such quality in 2-3 year old luxury vehicles that we've all but given up thinking that a new car is the way to go. Mileage, comforts, power, road feel, long term reliability (from Edmunds specs).

We've discarded Volvo as being a little too stiff and squared off in the interior. Also gone are SUVs. Even smaller SUVs get shit mileage and make you feel as if you will never find a parking space that you can wedge into. I had no perimeter comfort.

The American pig iron land barges like Lincolns were all very nice... just too much like sitting in a well. I couldn't see the road and felt like I wouldn't be able to do the traffic 'bob and weave' game.

tonksy

i mentioned to rob that he needs to take a photo of the truck from the upstairs bathroom window to get an aerial shot. you just can't really appreciate the damage in the photo's we have.
i miss the truck, though :/

unclehobart

Professur said:
That's quite the step up from your "l'il red truck".
Ya... sure is.

hell... I thought the rental 2005 Hyundai was a step up... until I slipped into the Lexus. The Lexus made the Hyundai feel like a VW Bug... and the lil red truck feel like court ordered punishment.

tonksy

HomeLAN said:
I thought you wanted to keep something close to the cargo capacity your truck offered?
you could put like 4 bodies in that trunk! deep foot wells in the back...nice.