Wedding plans moving right along

greenfreak

I'm waiting for the high-stress, pulling your hair out stuff to start but so far it hasn't. I guess that comes much later on, a month or so before the wedding.

We booked our ceremony for June 11th, 2006 at Planting Fields Arboretum. It's a 400 acre park with a 1920's mansion named Coe Hall, where the ceremony will be. They have a grand piano in the Great Hall and we're going to hire a piano player. It's beautiful, and I won't have to worry about bad weather. We have the mansion for 3 hours and can take our photos anywhere in the park. We already have at least 10 spots picked out in the gardens.

Our reception will be at The Milleridge Carraige House. Most of the buildings and village are circa 1600-1700, we have the building and the cocktail hour grounds to ourselves with the village next door. All the baked goods and wedding cake (which we design ourselves) will be handled by their on-site bakery and the bouquets for my four nieces, Mom, and myself will be handled by their on-site florist.

Last but not least, I bought my wedding dress yesterday. I didn't realize that I was going to find "the" dress the first time out but I did! I don't have a picture of the exact dress because it's brand new and not on their website yet (and stupid me didn't bring my camera) but it's a satin a-line gown with a princess waist and a chapel train. The lines of the dress and basic shape looks like this without all the creases and here's another view. My embroidery is not that big. The bodice has delicate flowers in pastel pink and pastel blue and light green vines and leaves. There are five other 8" sections of the same embroidery on the skirt, three on the front and two on the back.

Since I couldn't have a green wedding dress, I had to have the green embroidery on it. :D When we put the dress, tiara and veil on me and I looked in the mirror, I couldn't believe it. I must say, I looked beautiful. That is not something I ever say about myself but I felt like a princess. My mother was estatic, after trying on 11 dresses, we agreed that that was the one. I paid for it in full, and it should be in before November 1st so I can bring my sisters with me and take pictures in it.

So far, all the planning has been a lot of fun. Next, we go ring shopping finally! Presuming we can pick out the ring before my parents leave in a month, Rusty will be able to ask my father for my hand in marraige and then he can pick up the ring and figure out how he's going to propose to me. I insisted on it being a surprise, something he planned. :D

I hope I feel this happy about this in 10 months. :dance:

Professur

Yeah, there's nothing like what a wedding dress does for a woman. I can say, in all honesty, that the missus never looked more beautiful than the day she walked down the aisle.

Not that I had any say in the matter at all. She and my sister went shopping, up and down wedding row (St-Hubert blvd). Suddenly my sister comes flying outta one shop, demanding my credit card. "don't ask, just gimme the damn card." Seems that not only had they found the perfect dress, there was a screwup on the price tag. Someone forgot to put the one in front of the eight. And they were not leaving the store without it.

Not long after that, it occurred to me that "they were in there trying on $2000+ dresses ??!!!???!!" AARRGGHHHHHHHHH

Uki Chick

As long as everything is planned before hand, you shouldn't be too stressed out come closer to the day. The gown sounds beautiful and from the pics you attached, quite stunning. I'm sure you will look absolutely breathtaking. Oftenl, the first dress we try on is the one we go with. I tried on so many dresses, and when I put mine on, it was the one for me. We even continued shopping, but I kept going back to that one dress and ended up buying it. Luckily, I got a great deal on it at $800.00.

The hardest part was the bridal party. Two many different tastes and sizes caused me much headaches.

Inkara1

Professur said:
Seems that not only had they found the perfect dress, there was a screwup on the price tag. Someone forgot to put the one in front of the eight.
Under California law, they'd have had to sell it for the price on the tag.

Professur

Here there's a law about it too. But had they sat it down for a second, it would have disappeared into the back, and been retagged.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
It sounds like it's going to be just beautiful, gf! You're making yourself one perfect day so far, all the things you love. Great! *happy tears*

Professur

All you need is an obnoxious relative to get drunk and ruin it. If you don't have one handy, I'll be happy to step in.

Um, have you made arrangements to protect your honeymoon? If possible, I'd recommend checking the bags at the airport a few days prior to the wedding.

Professur

greenfreak said:
and then he can pick up the ring and figure out how he's going to propose to me. I insisted on it being a surprise, something he planned. :D

He can always use my approach. Pick a fight in a Duncan Doughnuts parking lot, and then drop to one knee.

Although, that did nearly backfire on me.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
I'm so happy for you. I'm waiting for the pics of you wearing your dress :D

Dave

Professur said:
He can always use my approach. Pick a fight in a Duncan Doughnuts parking lot, and then drop to one knee.

ya mean one of these places?....

cust_dunkin_donuts.jpg

Mare

:crying4: Ohhhhh...give me the tissues already...looks like its going to be a perfect day and you are going to be just beautiful in that dress.....much wishes for you.. :D

greenfreak

Professur said:
Yeah, there's nothing like what a wedding dress does for a woman. I can say, in all honesty, that the missus never looked more beautiful than the day she walked down the aisle.
Awww that's so sweet. You don't happen to have a picture do you?

Professur said:
Seems that not only had they found the perfect dress, there was a screwup on the price tag. Someone forgot to put the one in front of the eight. And they were not leaving the store without it.

Not long after that, it occurred to me that "they were in there trying on $2000+ dresses ??!!!???!!" AARRGGHHHHHHHHH
Wow. You got lucky on that one. And think of what the prices of the dresses would be now! They had some designer dresses at the place I went to but nothing was much higher than $1200. My dress turned out to only be $500. I told Rusty how much it was and he didn't even flinch. He thought it was going to be a few thousand dollars. :eek:

Uki Chick said:
The hardest part was the bridal party. Two many different tastes and sizes caused me much headaches.
Best thing to do is avoid it altogether, which is what we're doing. I told my sisters months ago that I didn't want a bridal party at all. But what I did want was all my nieces and nephews to walk down the aisle before me. My sisters are going to coordinate the outfits, and the colors will match my dress. But the outfits won't be exactly the same, and I'm totally fine with that.

The problem came when my mother reminded me that I had to, legally, have two witnesses. I was faced with choosing my best friend, my sister Rose (who I'm fairly close to) or my sister Meg (who I'm not close to but is the oldest) as as a maid/matron of honor. Someone's feelings were going to be hurt and my sisters are definitely the kind to hold grudges. Until my friend at work came up with a perfect solution. My Mother is going to be my witness and Rusty's Father is going to be his witness. Everyone wins and I kept my vow that I will have no bridesmaids/ushers.

Leslie said:
It sounds like it's going to be just beautiful, gf! You're making yourself one perfect day so far, all the things you love. Great! *happy tears*
So far so good! Now don't start crying, or I'll have to join you. I did tear up a little bit when I put on the first dress, the tiara and the veil on. It wasn't looking at myself that did it, it was looking at my Mom. She was speechless for the first time in her life. ;) I'm her baby, the youngest, so this is it. Her last chance to do this. And unlike planning my sister's weddings, I want her around and am enjoying doing it with her. :)

Professur said:
All you need is an obnoxious relative to get drunk and ruin it. If you don't have one handy, I'll be happy to step in.

Um, have you made arrangements to protect your honeymoon? If possible, I'd recommend checking the bags at the airport a few days prior to the wedding.
Already have a few of them that caused a big family ruckus at last year's weddings. It was a big to-do about my cousin not choosing one of her Uncles to walk her down the aisle, since her father died many years ago. Even though it involved one of them getting drunk and walking out of the reception in a huff, my cousin didn't know about it until the next day because they kept it fairly quiet. I'm not that worried.

But why would I need to "protect" my honeymoon? I don't understand. We are planning on having our limo drive us into Manhattan the night of our wedding and getting a shuttle to the airport the next morning. I don't know anyone who would sabotage that on purpose.

Professur said:

Ummm, no. It needs to be much more romantic than that! He knows the pressure he's under. I'm that person in the family that always gets the perfect gift for everyone because I put so much time and thought into it. He will need to do the same. I think he's up to the challenge. :D

Luis said:
I'm so happy for you. I'm waiting for the pics of you wearing your dress :D
Thanks hon. :) You know, I don't know if that's allowed... For me to show you what I look like in the dress before the wedding. Maybe just pictures of the dress will have to do!

freako said:
Hope all goes as planned. I wish the best :)
Thank you fellow freak. :D

Mare said:
Ohhhhh...give me the tissues already...looks like its going to be a perfect day and you are going to be just beautiful in that dress.....much wishes for you..
You and Les are going to have to go into the other room and cry, I can't be tearing up at work!!! :D

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
You and Rusty are soooooo perfect! This is beautiful!

*runs into the other room bawling*

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
greenfreak said:
I'm waiting for the high-stress, pulling your hair out stuff to start but so far it hasn't.

Plan well & have none of it. It's your day, enjoy it.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Plans do nothin lol.

Our country club caught fire 2 days before the wedding. I watched it here, 3 hours away, and flipped out and phoned down and made my (local to there) then-brother-in-law/firefighter call his cronies and find out wtf right in the middle of the fire. That sucked.

The ballroom survived, but it reeked, and there was caution tape everywhere. *sigh*

You just have to set your head for there to be major monster failures, and be ready to laugh. And if nothing happens, then that is just a really happy surprise.

Professur

Leslie said:
Plans do nothin lol.

Our country club caught fire 2 days before the wedding. I watched it here, 3 hours away, and flipped out and phoned down and made my (local to there) then-brother-in-law/firefighter call his cronies and find out wtf right in the middle of the fire. That sucked.

The ballroom survived, but it reeked, and there was caution tape everywhere. *sigh*

Now, y'see. Some of us would have recognized that as an omen.