Weird kid names

kuulani

A New Zealand judge has ordered a name change for an embarrassed nine-year-old girl called Talula Does The Hula From Hawaii, a local newspaper reported Thursday.

The girl was so embarrassed that she had not revealed the name given by her parents to friends, who simply knew her as K, the Taranaki Daily News said.

Family court judge Rob Murfitt said in a judgement made in February -- but not released until Thursday -- that oddball monikers created social hurdles as children grew up.

"She fears being mocked and teased and in that she has a greater level of insight than either of her parents," he said of the girl.

The judge discovered New Zealand parents had given their children some other unusual names including Number 16 Bus Shelter and Midnight Chardonnay, both of which may relate to the conception of the child.

One child was named Violence and two pairs of twins were called Benson and Hedges and Fish and Chips. The children from one family were all named after six-cylinder Ford cars.

Yahoo News

:rofl:

Inkara1

I've maintained for years and years that should I have kids someday, I don't really care the name as long as it's something that won't get the kid made fun of in school.

JTP

No name is safe at elementary school, so they might as well have weird names.
Always liked the Zappa kids' names- Moon, Dweezil, Ahmet and Diva.

2minkey

bootlicker
i hate kids' names these days. they're all fauxclassic names "connor" and shit. what ever happened to good names, like mike, dave, joe, et cetera...?

BlurOfSerenity

im tired of connon, tailor, BRAIDEN, maddie, mackenzie... all that stuff. but as much as i think these names are about as expressive and interesting as a plain white piece of paper, they are becoming the norm.

jtp has a point... "ashley" was the most common name the year i was born, but if people get determined, they'll come up with some ways to contort it into teasing.

messed up names i know of:
shithead (pronounced shih-THEED), orangejello (o-RAHN-je-lo) and lemonjello (le-MON-je-lo).

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
i hate kids' names these days. they're all fauxclassic names "connor" and shit. what ever happened to good names, like mike, dave, joe, et cetera...?

We named my son an unusual name that isn't easy to make fun of (we considered all the options) nor is it stupid/obscene/childish/ignorant (Sy-phyllis still wins that round). It's also not Bob (or any other standard). Looking for something that could stand out on a business card or a marquee.

A.B.Normal

No name is safe at elementary school, so they might as well have weird names.
Always liked the Zappa kids' names- Moon, Dweezil, Ahmet and Diva.
Saw Moon-unit on one of the late talk shows,she said at one point Ahmet changed his name because he was getting called Ahmet the vomit .Unfortunately he changed to Rick and they started calling him Rick the Prick,so he changed it back to Ahmet.

JTP

"jtp has a point... "ashley" was the most common name the year i was born, but if people get determined, they'll come up with some ways to contort it into teasing".
- Blur of Serenity

Grade school kids are imaginative, and they have a mean streak a mile wide. The J. stands for John. All through grade school my peers called me "Crapper". Everybody had a derogatory nickname. Jill became "Jill the Pill", as in a "pill"- an unpleasant person to be around. No name was safe from corruption or doggerel. So name your kid whatever you want. If they can't stand it, they can legally change when they hit 18.

chcr

Too cute for words
Have a friend from child hood named "Dick." Of course he was "Don't be a..." throughout jr. high and high school. It doesn't have to be a weird name, but it helps. If I'd ever had one of my own I would've named him "Stan."

tonksy

Funny, I never was teased for my first name but got it baaaad for my maiden name (think a brand of vaccuum cleaner). My girl's don't get it for their first names either...which are different from the norm but still names (they are named after a playwright and an author) but the last name...oi. Pickens has so much you can tease about.

MrBishop

My folx kept it simple. Marc (then again, so did everyone else...I knew 5 more Marc's in one club in College)

My son's initials are JAG
My daughter's name is Luna Rose.

My daughter might have issues with teasing... but that's life.

JTP

My folx kept it simple. Marc (then again, so did everyone else...I knew 5 more Marc's in one club in College)

My son's initials are JAG
My daughter's name is Luna Rose.

My daughter might have issues with teasing... but that's life.

Luna Rose is a beautiful name. Knew a senorita once named "Perla Luna"- Pearl Moon. Beautiful name for a beautiful woman.

ClarabellaUK

Britain (my old school area in particular) seems to have an influx of traditional Victorianesque names with the more educated/affluent parents going for things like

Molly, Anabelle, Constance, Faith, Grace, Catherine (Cathy), Elizabeth (Lizzie), Chloe, Melissa, Sophia, Kate, Elleanor (Ellie)... etc etc...

and

Bertie, Benjamin, Charles (Charlie), George, Jack, Christopher (Chris), Jonathan, Harvey, Isaac (Jewish biblical names very popular) Roman, Ruben... etc etc etc

But fewer standard Christian Saints' names... like Mary, John, Luke, Daniel... etc :shrug:

The less educated/affluent ie Chavs are still making them up!... these are all white (probably what you'd call trailer trash) kids' names...

Autumn, Summer... (but never Winter? Why?) Rainbow, Tianeese????, Tiga (note the spelling) Beach, Darrana, Tia-Maria (yeh! The spirit.. served with coke) Kylie, Karlie/Carlie/Karly/Carly, Bailey, Benson, Carling (thats a lager over here) his sister Stella (also a lager but thank god a real name too!)

Choosing names for my (unlikely to ever happen) children will always be tainted by the thought of some of the children I've taught over the years... I'd never give the names Saun, Molly, Joe, Jack, or Connor to my kids!

Personally hate my name... Claire... it can't be shortened for a term of affection!!! I think that's important.

I also think that at 16 everyone should have the right to and choice of changing their name my deed pole!!!! You have to opt out not enter into the process!