Well, crap

PostCode

Major contributor!
Wife person got all panicky last night when she dumped her wine on her laptop. Instead of pullng the power plug she jumps up and runs for towels. I look over with just enough time to see the screen flicker then go black.

Gonna tear it apart today and see if any parts are salvagable, like the RAM, drive, and maybe a few screws.

I tipped it on it's side last night and wine slowly streamed out of it...yep, she's a goner.

PostCode

Major contributor!
On another note though this should be a good enough excuse to purchase a newer laptop for myself then do the hand me down of my laptop to my wife. That way she can dump another glass of wine on this one and I can then invest in yet another laptop.

Why must have liquids around things with voltage and circuits? Are all woman like this?

ClaireBear

Banned
PostCode said:
Why must have liquids around things with voltage and circuits? Are all woman like this?

Whats the question?

Do we all drink wine?
Do we all like to drink whilst posting/writing essays/working from home?
Do we all panic when we spill stuff on our carpets?
Do we all not know to pull the power on electrical equipment when it gets a free bath?
Are we all a little on the clumsy side?

From my perspective yes to all five! :p

PostCode

Major contributor!
No CB, electrical things do not needs baths. Now remember this ok? Keep saying to yourself that electrical things do not need baths.

:lol:

ClaireBear

Banned
PostCode said:
No CB, electrical things do not needs baths. Now remember this ok? Keep saying to yourself that electrical things do not need baths.

:lol:

Aha! What about a hand held blender.... you gotta bath that... well wash it... em.. okay...

Electrical things do not need baths

:D

PostCode

Major contributor!
I tore the thng apart. Salavged the RAM and hard drive. The CDROM drive opened to a puddle of wine...it's toast. The floppy disk came out wet...it's toast. The motherboard has two blown chips and some serious burn damage on the bottom of the board where the CPU is above, thus I believe the CPU is toast. I got a bunch of screws out of it...go figure aye?

Inkara1

I drink stuff while I'm sitting at the computer all the time... but then again, it's always non-alcoholic, and it's at a desk so if I spill something the most I'd lose is my keyboard.

Sharky

*raises hand*

Knocked over a full 20 oz bottle of Diet Mountain Dew onto a Mac keyboard (at work).

The IT Guy just shook his head and handed me a new keyboard. :eyemouth:

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
I dumped a cup of coffee in my keyboard once. It still worked fine after a nice line dry. The kids have dumped various drinks on the keyboards, but they always seem to fry a few keys. Lived with one for a few months, the left shift, ctrl, windows key and z didn't work. I found I could get by pretty good without them.

Sharky

BeardofPants said:
*lol* BF almost killed me when I gave his expensive mac keyboard a ... bath.... with sticky orange juice. :lloyd:

Funny thing about the Mac keyboards, they are see-through and you can see the liquid sloshing around inside. :nerd:

HomeLAN

Keyboards are no big loss. $6 gets ya a new one. It's when the computer's built into them that it gets pricey. One more reason I dislike laptops.

PostCode

Major contributor!
Still looking. I can get reseller pricing from Spartan or get a barebones from MA Labs, in which case I would still need to purchase the CPU/RAM/Hard Drive. Low end basic system from Spartan is a 2.66 Celeron, 40GB, 256MB, 15" WXGA, 10/100, 11b wireless, CDRW/DVD, modem, 4USB, 1 serial, 1 parallel, etc... for $799. + shipping. I've got the OS here and I can get more RAM for cheap prices through MA.

I'm still thinking though.

Winky

"still thinking"

So are you at all enamored by the Pentium-M processor?
2 Meg. L2 goodness Hmmmm?