What do you NOT want to hear at 5:30AM?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
bzzzzzzzzztttttttttt

Our basement flooded overnight. Stupid old city sewers. I lost my reciever (on the floor) & possibly the printer(ac adapter, on the floor). We're concerned about the heater being the noise maker but we haven't checked it yet. everything else is okay.

I built an 8" high platform to avoid this damnit. We've had minor flooding down here before but it took a whole lot more than 2" of rain & never, in seven years, got this deep. Neighbors had it even worse. My nephews college books are now waterlogged. SO, as of today I am officially the owner of a sump pump. :grumpy:

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Man, that sucks. I used to live in a house that got two inches of water in the basement every time it rained. I'm really glad I'm not in that house anymore.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
why don't you fill a complain to your city goverment (town hall?)?

They should change the pipes to avoid such problems.

B

Bubba

That is not how it is in America. They don't do that kind of thing.

Luis G

Staff member
Isn't the goverment's responsability to provide a quality city for the citizens?

Q

We had a sump pump in our basement when I was a kid. I was just terrified of that sump pump hole.:eek6:

B

Bubba

Luis G said:
Isn't the goverment's responsability to provide a quality city for the citizens?

Not when it comes to fixing pipes for free. You have to hire a contractor for that. I've been though it. Unless it's a water line or something. Even then it has to be past the sidewalk.

Luis G

Staff member
Gonz said:
bzzzzzzzzztttttttttt

Our basement flooded overnight. Stupid old city sewers.

Those seems to be past the side walk. I'm not telling him to go and ask the gvmt to fix his house ;)

Mirlyn

My grandparents' house had leaky gutters for the first 10-15 years they lived there. Didn't get it fixed. The water ran down the foundation when it rained. Now the foundation is waterlogged, and if it rains fast and hard, water will seep in. The sump pump can't keep up with it. We've fixed their gutters and put extensions and moved splashguards so it empties into the yard a good 6-10 feet from the foundation. It'll take a long time for the foundation to dry out, probably another 10 years or so.

Q

They should get a dehumidifier and keep it running in the basement. I think that would help alot. I don't think they're too expensive, maybe a $100- 150.00 at Home Depot.

freako104

have you called anyone to get it cleaned out? hope it doesnt take too much to clean it out. sorry to nephews books can he still sell em?

Mirlyn

Q said:
They should get a dehumidifier and keep it running in the basement. I think that would help alot. I don't think they're too expensive, maybe a $100- 150.00 at Home Depot.

Me? Yeah, they have two that run 24/7. Their sump pit is always full of water, and the pump runs over half the day usually. what they need is one of those ditch-emptying pumps that come on a trailer. :evilgrin:

Q

Oh, those things are really, really, really LOUD....They prolly don't want one in their basement. :D

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Luis G said:
why don't you fill a complain to your city goverment (town hall?)?

That's very high on the list of things to do. Especially if the furnace is shot.

Bubba said:
That is not how it is in America. They don't do that kind of thing.

They do it if the problem is off your property. Which it was.

Q said:
They should get a dehumidifier and keep it running in the basement.

Nah, too much money. It's not bad when it's not flooded :D I have a 24" box fan running right now to dry out some of teh mess.

freako104 said:
have you called anyone to get it cleaned out?

We're (actually it'll probably be I'm) more than capable of carrying wet boxes & mgazines to the trash. ;)

It turns out there was a major blockage just up the street. The city ran their Bad-AssCut & Kill Everything auger & the "POP!" was loud as hell as somebodies elm/oak tree lost a major root. It's drained & drying...now to allow the furnace a few days of drying out before attempting to see if it works. Good thing my brother-in-law owns a heating & AC business :D