What to buy for the EIGHTIES WAGON

chcr

Too cute for words
Inkara1 said:
It would be in the center of the spring but it's a separate part. Does the back have coil or leaf springs?
Actually, it's unlikely to be in the center of the spring at all. On cars of that vintage, shocks and springs are installed separately, more like a pickup or full size van. I think you're thinking of MacPherson struts.

Homey's likely right, coils all around although some station wagons have leaf springs in back. Oh, and a lot of older Mopars have torsion bars...

Inkara1

Well, the 1960s Fairlanes and Ranchero my parents have all have the shocks in the middle of the springs in front.

Toolbox, the problem with "Pimp My Ride" is that you have to live in the LA area. I'm 3-4 hours from there and that's too far.

chcr

Too cute for words
Inkara1 said:
Well, the 1960s Fairlanes and Ranchero my parents have all have the shocks in the middle of the springs in front.
Ahh... freakin' Fords. I forgot about that but that used to be quite rare. Shocks were generally outside of the springs (of course they'd have to be on leafs) and canted.

Inkara1

We replaced the back shocks on the '62 in '98 or '99 (they were the originals) and suddenly the thing wasn't quite so hard to keep straight in a crosswind. Imagine that.

...and there's no cant in the front shocks in Fords... they can. :D

Altron

I looked at the back shocks. I don't think there are any, just springs. As far as I could tell, only air in the middle. The rear axle is attached to the frame in two places with these things that look kinda like scissors, then there's a spring above the axle connecting it to the frame.

chcr

Too cute for words
Altron said:
I looked at the back shocks. I don't think there are any, just springs. As far as I could tell, only air in the middle. The rear axle is attached to the frame in two places with these things that look kinda like scissors, then there's a spring above the axle connecting it to the frame.

I promise it has shocks. I'll see if I can find a pic on our repair software if'n I get time.

Altron

Another question -

If you had a choice between the wagon
(rehash of specs)
made in '89
4300 lbs
307cid OHV V8 (140hp, 255 ft-lbs)
quadrajet carb
rear wheel drive
4-speed automatic with overdrive
wire rims
wood grain/white exterior
red interior
~12 mpg

and a Nissan Maxima that had been babied by the owner
(specs)
made in '97
2900 lbs
3.0L OHC 24-valve V6 (190hp, 210 ft-lbs)
fuel injection
rear wheel drive
five speed
5-spoke aluminum wheels
dark blue exterior
black interior
~24 mpg

which would you choose, and why

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
The Nissan without a doubt, for a few years it would give less problems than the wagon. However, once it starts to fail, repairing it will be expensive.

Inkara1

I think most people would choose the Nissan, because it gets better gas mileage, accellerates faster, handles better, protects better in a crash and has computer-controlled fuel injection (meaning all the cold-blooded quirks associated with carbs are gone).

I should point out that the Maxima is front-wheel drive, though.

Do you know how to drive a stick?

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Nissan, because I had an Altima, and I loved it. Everything about it. It was wonderful, and even with 400 000km on it, it was still as quiet and ran as well as new.

However, parts are expensive when problems arise as compared to a "North American" car, and the computer system is something that makes it harder to fix things yourself so that's a consideration for someone like you, money wise. It's just plain cheaper and easier to slap a part into an old wagon than a newer car. The older car might do you a good while longer happily once you've got all the bugs straightened out.

Altron

However, I would like to point out that the wagon is going to need new shocks, brakes, and tires within the next few months.
I don't know all the prices, but I'd estimate $25 per brake, $25 per shock, $60 per tire, which is close to $400 out of my pocket right now. It also costs about $60/month in gas.

The Maxima just had a stalling problem, but it's been fixed and in the process of troubleshooting my mom's friend and the Nissan people checked a lot of stuff, and fixed everything that was broken. So there's no about-to-fail parts.

The Maxima may be more expensive in five years, but the wagon is going to be more expensive now, especially as summer approaches and I start taking long trips into states with higher gas tax.

Inky, how should I tell whether or not it is RWD. There's a big bump in the floor in the back seat, about a six inch square, right in the middle of the car. I assume that a FWD car would not have that. I've also been in the car when it fishtailed in the snow. Is that possible with FWD? I've never tried.

Keep in mind that this is the (I think) GLE model, the 'sport' version.

HomeLAN

Altron said:
Inky, how should I tell whether or not it is RWD. There's a big bump in the floor in the back seat, about a six inch square, right in the middle of the car. I assume that a FWD car would not have that. I've also been in the car when it fishtailed in the snow. Is that possible with FWD? I've never tried.

Um, look under the hood. Is the engine mounted with the water pump at the front and the valve covers runing front to back? That's rear-wheel drive.

Is it mounted sideways? That's front wheel drive.

That hump may be in there for a bunch of reasons.

chcr

Too cute for words
Altron said:
However, I would like to point out that the wagon is going to need new shocks, brakes, and tires within the next few months.
I don't know all the prices, but I'd estimate $25 per brake, $25 per shock, $60 per tire, which is close to $400 out of my pocket right now. It also costs about $60/month in gas.

The Maxima just had a stalling problem, but it's been fixed and in the process of troubleshooting my mom's friend and the Nissan people checked a lot of stuff, and fixed everything that was broken. So there's no about-to-fail parts.

The Maxima may be more expensive in five years, but the wagon is going to be more expensive now, especially as summer approaches and I start taking long trips into states with higher gas tax.

Did you answer the "can you drive a stick" question? Doesn't really matter, anyone can learn. Re the cost now vs the cost later, remember you'll be using about half the gas. I think that will more than make up for the difference in repair prices. Oh, and I'm 90% sure it's front-wheel drive.

Also note that the Nissan will be much cooler with the chicks. ;)

Luis G

Staff member
how much is he asking for the Maxima?

They are over 40,000USD when new over here.

Luis G

Staff member
But then he wouldn't want to have sex in the back seat 'cause that would screw the leather.

K62

Altron said:

Stick your head under and look for a drive shaft running aft. I have never seen or heard of a 97' RWD Maxima.

I would take the Maxima over the Wagon in a second if it is in decent shape, how many clicks on the Odo?

Have you driven it yet? It's in good shape? How does the clutch feel? It should have a low friction point, shouldn't rattle in neutral, and make sure that it shifts smoothly into all gears. Engine sound good? Has the general & preventive maintenance been done regularly ?

And most of all, what is he asking? :)

They were nice cars!

Luis G

Staff member
I'm not sure but I doubt there's a maxima with clutch, most of the ones I've seen are automatic or semi-automatic.